short34

Greenie
Oct 26, 2009
grandview plaza junction city kansas
Detector(s) used
whites xlt
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hello there I'm kind of new to gold prospecting. back when I went to school in north Carolina we went to a place called reeds gold mine and I caught the fever there but never really got the chance to do anymore since then. I have done some metal detecting but there aren't that many places to go where I live here. so I'm thinking about joining the gpaa but before I do wanted to make sure it wasn't a waste ok time so any info about them and there claims would be I would be thankful. I looking at getting a high banker plus looking like minded people to possibly go prospecting with to show me and my wife any tips and info. we live in Kansas and was looking at going prospecting in Colorado during spring break this yr if everything goes right.

Upvote 0

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
I'm not nor have I ever been a GPAA member. ...I also have never (YET!!) been prospecting! :crybaby2: That said, it's really going to be an individual choice. There's a lot of people currently using GPAA properties, with even more that no longer do. But if you're looking to learn some hands-on experience, I think it would be well worth the investment. You could also do lots of research and make friends who may invite you on a private outing now and then. Or, simply be a loner and charge out there on your own. Regardless of what you do in the end, just get out there! I cannot tell you how badly I wish I had made this a higher priority back when my health was better. GPAA does a lot of good, but also don't overlook another good source - STATE-level GPAA clubs! These are different than the national club and will have their own dues. I don't think you have to be a member of any one in order to be a member of the other....if that makes any sense. :tongue3:

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
I heard that there is a gpaa club in Kansas , BUT I don't know much about it other than what I said. Do a search for , (gold prospecting clubs in Kansas)

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
I heard that there is a gpaa club in Kansas , BUT I don't know much about it other than what I said. Do a search for , (gold prospecting clubs in Kansas)
If you don't mind a bit of a drive, could also check out gold clubs in Colorado.

Laz7777

Dec 19, 2015
South Fork Yuba River, Motherlode
Detector(s) used
GoldBug II
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I've never been a GPAA member and likely never will. too many of the claims they hold are worked over, of course you can still find some color, but if a little color makes you happy, maybe it will be worth it for you.
club claims in general are more social clubs than for pospecting.
I belonged to a club in Quartzsite several years ago, went to a club meeting expecting to talk gold, mainly wanting to learn about detecting.
I can't tell you much of what was talked about, because once I figured out they weren't talking gold, I shut my ears. I did notice that there was much interest in the coffee and donuts during the break.
another club me and a friend joined in AZ, lent us a drywasher and pointed us out to their "best" claim out near Dolan Springs. 5 days later we had 0.6 gram of gold. granted, neither of us knew a thing about desert mining, but the place was full of holes and the small tailings piles that drywashers produce.
some club claims that are remote might be good. my tried-and-true tested theory is that you gotta go out there to find good gold, but there are exceptions, but not many.
when I've questioned any GPAA member about what they've gotten, never heard about anything much.
same applies for just about any club I've heard.
don't think I'm putting down the GPAA or any clubs. they serve a purpouse to get someone new started and as said before, have social events that can lead to new friends and good times.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread