Super bad clay issue

Kuntzy

Jul 24, 2015
North Vernon IN
Detector(s) used
tesoro vaquero
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I went out digging this past thursday. There was ice on the river, and the gravel bars were frozen down to around 6 inches. I wasn't able to classify any material at the river due to the temps so i just filled 20 unclassified buckets of material to bring home and work during the cold weather.

While digging i punched through two different clay layers. The first layer i hit was a mix of blue clay and smaller rock.it is a pretty soft clay. The second clay layer is around an inch thick and hard as a rock, there is some cobble on it but none on the inside of these huge clay chunks

If there is gold in any of this clay i want it. any tricks or tips to get the majority of the clay broken up enough to pan?

Thanks, Justin.

Upvote 0

Jeff95531

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2013
Deep in the redwoods of the TRUE Northern CA
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Alpha 2000
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

IMAUDIGGER

Silver Member
Mar 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sounds like you have a little bit of Hoffmanitis. Let's run 10,000 yards through the plant before we take a sample pan.
Sorry, that's all I could visualize when you mentioned 20 buckets :laughing7:

Even worse - basing the disposal of "overburden" material based upon a couple pans.
That type of material can easily be very rich and not show a single color in a pan.

IMAUDIGGER

Silver Member
Mar 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'd suggest scrubbing the material in a cement mixer first. You may even throw in some steel balls in order to assist in breaking it up.
-----
As always with Gold Rush - you are not seeing the entire picture.

Early into their season there was a shot of someone picking out the cornflakes prior to processing the concentrates....the gold they show now looks very uniform almost like it has been screened or brought in from somewhere else. No corn flakes and no nuggets.

That type of deposit should have a pretty good number of various sized nuggets, which would probably make up the bulk of the gold.

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
I'd suggest scrubbing the material in a cement mixer first. You may even throw in some steel balls in order to assist in breaking it up.
-----
As always with Gold Rush - you are not seeing the entire picture.

Early into their season there was a shot of someone picking out the cornflakes prior to processing the concentrates....the gold they show now looks very uniform almost like it has been screened or brought in from somewhere else. No corn flakes and no nuggets.

That type of deposit should have a pretty good number of various sized nuggets, which would probably make up the bulk of the gold.

I read on another forum from someone close to the actual show that yes, indeed, the gold you saw was NOT the gold from their season. It was borrowed from elsewhere - no mention from where, though! :tongue3:

IMAUDIGGER

Silver Member
Mar 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I read on another forum from someone close to the actual show that yes, indeed, the gold you saw was NOT the gold from their season. It was borrowed from elsewhere - no mention from where, though! :tongue3:

I would anticipate their gold to look more like this...Flattened pieces that have been ground off of larger nuggets, smashed by soft angular rock leaving a rough texture. I would also suspect that a metal detector would be a better prospecting tool than a mining pan. Lastly - it almost seemed like they needed a large trommel. I wondered how much was lost from clay balls rolling through the box and dense semi-conglomerate getting screened out with the larger rocks.

View attachment 1391106

Last edited:

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
From reading "Lost River of gold" and looking over the map at the rear of the book , I was impressed ! I mailed Wally Koz (before his passing ) a portion of that book because he and Milty had a dredgeing claim in that area.

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
I would anticipate their gold to look more like this...Flattened pieces that have been ground off of larger nuggets, smashed by soft angular rock leaving a rough texture. I would also suspect that a metal detector would be a better prospecting tool than a mining pan. Lastly - it almost seemed like they needed a large trommel. I wondered how much was lost from clay balls rolling through the box and dense semi-conglomerate getting screened out with the larger rocks.

View attachment 1391106

Still no pic. :-\

IMAUDIGGER

Silver Member
Mar 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
IMG_0230.JPG

goldenIrishman

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2013
Golden Valley Arid-Zona
Detector(s) used
Fisher / Gold Bug AND the MK-VII eyeballs
Primary Interest:
Other
The Big Blue Lead can be found in So Kal in the El Pasos and the San Gabriel Mts . I don't know for certain, but I suspect it is as far south as Julian/San Diego. Where you find it , you find gold.

It's in San Diego without a doubt. I hit it in several locations when I was living there.

beekbuster

Jan 17, 2015
Detector(s) used
gpx 4500
gpz (died in a fire. rip)
Primary Interest:
Other
ive been in area where when i found the clay it was loaded with gold, other areas(different stream) no gold in the clay at all, not 1 fly poop speck.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread