Gold Rush gold

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
Has anyone seen on any show , clean gold in these guys cleans ups? They weight their gold with lots of blacksand in it for their total count! The only show that show that has their gold for sale is YUKON GOLD !! Their gold is clean! and get a true count on weight NOT like toad and all them shows with BS in their gold for their total count! Most of these shows must think we are STUPID not to see that!

Upvote 0

IMAUDIGGER

Silver Member
Mar 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Has anyone seen on any show , clean gold in these guys cleans ups? They weight their gold with lots of blacksand in it for their total count! The only show that show that has their gold for sale is YUKON GOLD !! Their gold is clean! and get a true count on weight NOT like toad and all them shows with BS in their gold for their total count! Most of these shows must think we are STUPID not to see that!

You are probably right and I have thought the same thing. Some gold does come out of the ground black colored.
I think this type of gold has not moved for a very long time and has been sitting adjacent to iron oxide minerals?
The coating can be somewhat durable (although it is usually soft and greasy).
If the material isn't scrubbed much it is possible to get some black gold in your sluice boxes. Maybe they are getting some ancient gold when they are ripping the bedrock?

This stuff came out of a trommel and still wasn't clean and shiny.
black gold.jpg

arizau

Bronze Member
May 2, 2014
AZ
Detector(s) used
Beach High Banker, Sweep Jig, Whippet Dry Washer, Lobo ST, 1/2 width 2 tray Gold Cube, numerous pans, rocker box, and home made fluid bed and stream sluices.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I won't argue the fact that there may be some black sands mixed with what they show but I will tell you that I panned about a quart jar of very rich (over an ounce Au) milled concentrates from a California quartz gold mine and much of the gold was highly stained. Just saying.

ratled

Feb 18, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yea a lot of that stuff isn't carbon coated it's just dirty gold, and it would be a measurable amount. I agree that Yukon Gold is it. I wish they would show it more here in the states

ratled

IMAUDIGGER

Silver Member
Mar 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The specific gravity of magnetite and hematite is about 5.3.
Gold=19.3

A little bit of black sand really doesn't affect the total weight as much as you would think it does - or at least that's my experience.
I've weighed some before and after, the weight difference wasn't nearly as much as I thought it would be.

Last edited:

Oddjob

Silver Member
Aug 23, 2012
Detector(s) used
RD1000, GSSI Profiler EMP-400. GPZ 14 & 19
Primary Interest:
Other
Yukon Gold just seems more realistic, stuff often breaking, often very old stuff, cleaner gold, more pride in their work, and the big thing is their overhead cost do not appear to be over 10K per ounce they get out of the ground. I mean seriously, you can spend thousands to get out a few grams, but does not make sense to me.

Heard fat boy on Gold Rush gets attacked by one of his workers on the next show.

I also like how Canadians take it all so chill and relaxed, that one father working with his sons was talking last season about running 40 hours a week, he limped that box all the way through and ran out of ground, packed up and went home early. So chill and happy with what he has.

The old man fighting cancer, way too chill, its great.His side kick Kato from the Pink Panther, happy that guy found work after his film career ended. Wish he would do more sneak attacks though like in his movies.

chlsbrns

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2013
Detector(s) used
Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
Other
FYI the dark coating on gold are sulfides. Mines with sulfide coated gold use roasters to burn off the sulfides. Sulfide coated gold will not amalgamate with mercury.

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yukon Gold just seems more realistic, stuff often breaking, often very old stuff, cleaner gold, more pride in their work, and the big thing is their overhead cost do not appear to be over 10K per ounce they get out of the ground. I mean seriously, you can spend thousands to get out a few grams, but does not make sense to me.

Heard fat boy on Gold Rush gets attacked by one of his workers on the next show.

I also like how Canadians take it all so chill and relaxed, that one father working with his sons was talking last season about running 40 hours a week, he limped that box all the way through and ran out of ground, packed up and went home early. So chill and happy with what he has.

The old man fighting cancer, way too chill, its great.His side kick Kato from the Pink Panther, happy that guy found work after his film career ended. Wish he would do more sneak attacks though like in his movies.

previews make it look as if dave turin tackles him, hope so
I have never figured out why toad is calling the shots based on his gut feelings
if you are making it good in alaska why move?

IMAUDIGGER

Silver Member
Mar 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
FYI the dark coating on gold are sulfides. Mines with sulfide coated gold use roasters to burn off the sulfides. Sulfide coated gold will not amalgamate with mercury.

A little reading has me thinking the black color on the gold shown above is caused by oxidized manganese

Wonder if it is good to stick that kind of gold in your lower lip.....sounds like it isn't too bad for you.

Last edited:

arizau

Bronze Member
May 2, 2014
AZ
Detector(s) used
Beach High Banker, Sweep Jig, Whippet Dry Washer, Lobo ST, 1/2 width 2 tray Gold Cube, numerous pans, rocker box, and home made fluid bed and stream sluices.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
MMMMMM Manganese. Probably better for you than snoose.:laughing7:

Oddjob

Silver Member
Aug 23, 2012
Detector(s) used
RD1000, GSSI Profiler EMP-400. GPZ 14 & 19
Primary Interest:
Other
I have never figured out why toad is calling the shots based on his gut feelings

He calls the shots because he keeps his mommy on site to consult with and cry to when everyone is against him because they are working for free. LOL Anyone who can pull that off and still keep people following is the shot caller among weaker people.

chlsbrns

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2013
Detector(s) used
Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
Other
A little reading has me thinking the black color on the gold shown above is caused by oxidized manganese

Wonder if it is good to stick that kind of gold in your lower lip.....sounds like it isn't too bad for you.

Sulfides can ruin your whole day. They coat almost everything with surface of sulfide that will prevent you from amalgamating, reacting with cyanide, or dissolving in solutions of halides. If you have a little piece of silver, a little hydrogen sulfide from the local volcano, you will have a piece of silver with a coat of silver sulfide on it. This coat will prevent you from dissolving it in cyanide or any other.

Fortunately for us sulfides are relatively unstable. Want to destroy a sulfide? It’s not too difficult but one that I am afraid most folks ignore. HEAT IT! Almost all sulfides will dissociate with heat. That is, if you heat a sulfide in the presence of oxygen you will boil off the sulfur as either sulfur dioxide or as hydrogen sulfide. If you heat some ore that you suspect of having sulfides present you will smell a rather unique odor.

Have any of you ever been to a "beer and egg party"? A keg of beer and a great quantity of hard-boiled eggs? The next day you are a bit bloated, gaseous, or in scientific terms, "flatulent". When you, as the English say, "pass wind", this is the odor of sulfides being dispelled from the heated ore. When the odor of sulfur is no longer apparent, you can continue to your extraction method.

The time-honored way to deal with sulfides is to boil them off with heat.

Just get some roofing metal, get it up off the ground with a few rocks etc and build a good fire under it. Spread your material on the metal and let it cook. When you don’t smell anymore sulfur, process it.

Basement Chemistry for the Prospector - Black Sand, Tellurides and Sulfides

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
beer and egg party? please come up with more PC examples

chlsbrns

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2013
Detector(s) used
Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
Other
The sulfide coatings on nuggets and gold fines can also be cleaned with hydrogen peroxide mixed with another household item that I prefer to not mention due to the fact that if you do not mix them in the correct amounts the fumes will cause your skin to melt off of your body like melted wax. It's not something that amateurs should do.

deserdog

May 17, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It will all come out in the wash, or should I say smelt, anyway.

Honest Samuel

Banned
Sep 23, 2015
Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Toad lost his crew for the second time. Back at December 30. Next season, they be back in another state. A bunch of loser.

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All of that gold is smelted. the coating turns into slag and the gold is pure. So easy they havn't changed in a hundred and twenty years. You still drive, fly or mush to Dawson or Whithorese. Watch the process in a converted sea container and walk away with bars of gold or cash in the bank.

Kenmitch

Oct 7, 2016
SoCal
Detector(s) used
X-Terra 705 Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

He has the biggest gut! I'd imagine his gut feelings are the strongest among the group.

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Manganese gives rose quartz its color. Go find gold in red quartz you might get get more manganese coating.

Manganese, hematite and magnetite are oxides.

Manganese needs 1500 degrees plus to convert rapidly.

Putting materials you don't know about on roofing metal (typically zinc coated that's fun) will get you hot material that changes color, in trouble possibly, hurt, and added time to the that was a waste of time list.

You can roast sulfides to get the gold out of them but that's not the only part of the process.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread