Is this gold??

magrudersGold

Jan 4, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey folks I found gold in my backyard in New Mexico desert and I'm sure it's gold but it's super fine and doesn't seem to have a shiny metallic look. I've been a prospector my whole life but this gold looks like it in the pan and acts like it but seen super close in a vial with a flashlight looks a bit too dull let me know what y'all think thanks ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1483568076.736453.jpg

Upvote 0

Golden_Crab

Mar 28, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
extra fine very small gold flakes --aka as "flour gold" --very tiny but gold non the less ...gold can have various color tones to it due to the impurities mixed in with it --folks are used to "refined" gold with its bright yellow shiny luster

First picture first impression - Yep that's gold

Second picture - gold / silver mixture if it's malleable

pcampbell

Feb 24, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Most people coming on the forum asking if they have gold usually have pyrite.

But this time, looks like gold to me.

Everything you are describing sounds positive also. Gold has a less shiny and metallic look to it then most people think of as gold. Gold has more of a yellow "matte" color to it.

arizau

Bronze Member
May 2, 2014
AZ
Detector(s) used
Beach High Banker, Sweep Jig, Whippet Dry Washer, Lobo ST, 1/2 width 2 tray Gold Cube, numerous pans, rocker box, and home made fluid bed and stream sluices.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
If you want to crush test small/tiny particles to see if they are gold then the easiest way is to press your thumb in a spoon and roll it around over the particles. If they shatter then you know they are not. As to the questionable color in the vial; empty the vial back into a pan and check the particles in full and shaded light. Still yellow in the shade equals gold. Both suggestions work for me.

Last edited:

medusa

Apr 30, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When I pan 70- to around 200-, the gold takes on a different look. It has less area to produce that glow that we associate with good gold. Even when I have sold it to my buyer, it looks dull in their dish, but shows as around 20-22k. My cons are from Arizona, but I have worked these small sizes for a long time, and I see mainly the same look each time I pan. The smaller the gold, the more brown it can look, but it's still gold!
I use Dawn dish soap in my panning water to keep it from floating and only do about a half teaspoon of screened cons at a time. Patience and persistence is a requirement!
Years of finesse panning skills are very helpful too...
If you have the patience it can be rewarding! You'd be surprised at how much gold is in the barely visible range! And I'm positive I'm not getting all of it!
Work that super fine material and over time you can get a good amount of gold for your effort.
I'm in New Mexico now and hope to hit the GPAA claims this year, but also hope to find some back yard gold!
I hope you find more also!!!

OP
OP
magrudersGold

magrudersGold

Jan 4, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks I hope to join the GPAA once I get a car and work more. Yeah I don't get it all I don't get the super tiny ones I actually crushed gold with a rock does small gold crush??? But yeah fine gold I find looks 100% like gold in the pan but close is dull and doesn't look too much like gold

Frank D.

Sep 20, 2013
Pennsylvania
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
It looks a lot like the fine glacial gold I find here in Pennsylvania. As AU Solitude said,....Get a cheap jewelers loupe, and check it under that. You will instantly know.

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thanks I hope to join the GPAA once I get a car and work more. Yeah I don't get it all I don't get the super tiny ones I actually crushed gold with a rock does small gold crush??? But yeah fine gold I find looks 100% like gold in the pan but close is dull and doesn't look too much like gold

No gold doesn't crush. Fools gold does tho ;)

johnedoe

Bronze Member
Jan 15, 2012
Oregon Coast
Detector(s) used
White's V3i, White's MXT, and White's Eagle Spectrum
Cleangold sluice & prospectors pan, EZ-Gold Pan, and custom cleanup sluice.
Primary Interest:
Other
I've been a prospector my whole life View attachment 1398289

What? And you still can't identify GOLD........ :BangHead: ..... I am not saying what you have is gold.. the pictures are poor.
And putting it in water won't make it grow....:laughing7:

My pics aren't the best focused either ..

20160703_182731.jpg

IMG_0056.JPG IMG_0055.JPG

Last edited:
OP
OP
magrudersGold

magrudersGold

Jan 4, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can identify gold but this stuff has me confused

Top Member Reactions