Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Member
Discoveries
 
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 37
Like Tree91Likes

Thread: How the Old Timers Got Under Boulders

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
  1. #16
    us
    Aug 2010
    Maine USA
    315
    296 times
    Someone needs to tell the gentleman with the chisel to grind the mushrooming off the striking surface before a piece of steel end up inside him...

  2. #17
    Charter Member
    us
    Look at the Historical Gold Mining photo albums on my page

    Jan 2013
    Huntington, Or./ Stanton, AZ/ former Outlaw California Gold Dredger
    Tesoro Vaquero, Whites MXT, Vsat, GMT, 5900Di Pro, Minelab GPX 5000, GPXtreme, 2200SD, Excalibur 1000!
    1,972
    3738 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    I've had those days where I found a spot and started picking up nuggets plenty of times. 3˝oz was my best back right after the 97 floods, picking up nuggets one after the other, with no detector needed as they were on top of bedrock, but I've had a few ounce days like that also. So it still happens for me in every flood year. It's just a matter of being the first guy in and that is where the danger's at. I'm not counting the 4oz nugget from when I was a kid. Or this 6oz.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC00180.jpg 
Views:	123 
Size:	625.9 KB 
ID:	1399676
    Then I have broken my share of boulders too, sometimes by hand and others by -

  3. #18

    Mar 2016
    71
    116 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Wow reed! Beautiful! Did you just hike the rivers visually looking in bedrock cracks after the water level started to drop? 10 inches of rain alone this weekend has made some certain floods in my area....

  4. #19
    Charter Member
    us
    Look at the Historical Gold Mining photo albums on my page

    Jan 2013
    Huntington, Or./ Stanton, AZ/ former Outlaw California Gold Dredger
    Tesoro Vaquero, Whites MXT, Vsat, GMT, 5900Di Pro, Minelab GPX 5000, GPXtreme, 2200SD, Excalibur 1000!
    1,972
    3738 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Quote Originally Posted by Jbarsk8 View Post
    Wow reed! Beautiful! Did you just hike the rivers visually looking in bedrock cracks after the water level started to drop? 10 inches of rain alone this weekend has made some certain floods in my area....
    I didn't have to look hard, a lot of areas replenish during a flood. You just need to find those areas and remember where they are because many places don't replenish at all.

  5. #20
    us
    ARC

    Aug 2014
    De Tampe Bahia - La Florida
    JW 8X - ML X2 - VP 580
    18,446
    38727 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    HEY !

    I am not that old and they found me under a rock :P
    russau likes this.
    Have permission... Fill holes... Dispose of trash. - The Random Chat Thread - AKA -" TNet Under Ground " http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/ev...l-welcome.html

  6. #21

    Jan 2019
    12
    5 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoser John View Post
    Way too labor intensive. Simply blast/dredge around the boulder,jack up with a pneumatic car jack, place rocks to retain up. Dredge/blast,repeat other side and 1/100 the work. Ez to do, quicker and lots less work. Did not see anything close/big enough to winch to? John
    Not everyone is fortunate enough to have the financial liberty to afford a dredge, air compressor, and pneumatic jack; or the super human strength required to hike it all down to the river by themselves. Let alone live in a state where liberals haven't made it illegal to even use a water pump. As a one man mining machine my damn self , I find this inspiring as all hell. I think alot of us here in the states get to soft granted the privelage we have of living in this great country. There's guys in Africa, Peru, the Philippines, etc. That have never seen miner's moss, or a classifier that fits onto a 5 gallon bucket. They don't have a mining shop they can go to and upgrade their jobe sluice with a high banker/dredge kit or get a new set of riffles. Straight up busting their ass trying to pull out a gram so they can feed a family and make it to work the next day themselves. I've often thought about trying to gather some donations from around the community(old pans,classifiers, old miner's moss and carpet or even scraps of it, broken riffle bars, trashed sluices, broken shovels, buckets, hell even yee old poop tube sluice or what have you) and finding a way to get it to the guys using their loin clothe for sluice matting every day and a beat-in bottom of a 50 gallon drum for a pan.

  7. #22

    Mar 2014
    NorCal
    Fisher GB2, Bazooka Prospector 36", EZ sluice, Blue Bowl..
    956
    2156 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    You sound a lot like Victor Marshall.. Jus sayin
    N-Lionberger and Goldwasher like this.
    Come check out my California Mother lode Adventures!---->https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4U...aqFXriPUONmEtw

  8. #23

    May 2005
    St. Louis, missouri
    5,784
    4364 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Terry Soloman View Post
    China
    Terry are you sure? It kinda looks just like Hollywood Blvd. by Reeds secret hidy - hole location...........OOOOOOPPPS I wasn't supposed to give out the secrete spot! Sorry Reed!!

  9. #24

    Jan 2019
    12
    5 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Quote Originally Posted by Asmbandits View Post
    You sound a lot like Victor Marshall.. Jus sayin
    Oh ya?

    Can he carry a tune?

    ...just sayin...

    From the perspective of some brokedick kid in California where dredging isn't an option....

    But who knows, maybe I'm just the only jerk in California mining without a claim with road access and no L.E.O.'s to hassle me. Lmfao

  10. #25
    Charter Member
    us
    Nov 2010
    The Great Southwest
    3,458
    10028 times
    Prospecting
    Quote Originally Posted by Erect and Caffeinated View Post
    Oh ya?

    Can he carry a tune?

    ...just sayin...

    From the perspective of some brokedick kid in California where dredging isn't an option....

    But who knows, maybe I'm just the only jerk in California mining without a claim with road access and no L.E.O.'s to hassle me. Lmfao
    Naw ... there's a bunch of jerks in California doing that. There's a bunch of them doing the same thing that aren't jerks. Personal choice I imagine.

    Welcome to the forums.

    Heavy Pans

  11. #26
    Charter Member
    us
    Nov 2010
    The Great Southwest
    3,458
    10028 times
    Prospecting
    Quote Originally Posted by Erect and Caffeinated View Post
    Let alone live in a state where liberals haven't made it illegal to even use a water pump.
    I thought you just said you mined in California? If you've got water and you aren't using pumps that's your choice. No laws against pumps in California.

    Heavy Pans
    Asmbandits likes this.

  12. #27

    Mar 2014
    NorCal
    Fisher GB2, Bazooka Prospector 36", EZ sluice, Blue Bowl..
    956
    2156 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Quote Originally Posted by Erect and Caffeinated View Post
    Oh ya?

    Can he carry a tune?

    ...just sayin...

    From the perspective of some brokedick kid in California where dredging isn't an option....

    But who knows, maybe I'm just the only jerk in California mining without a claim with road access and no L.E.O.'s to hassle me. Lmfao
    Humm.. now that really sounds like Victor!

    If not and you believe that you are very mistaken, tons of ground being worked every day from backyards to stream beds.
    Come check out my California Mother lode Adventures!---->https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4U...aqFXriPUONmEtw

  13. #28

    Jan 2019
    12
    5 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Quote Originally Posted by Clay Diggins View Post
    No laws against pumps in California.

    Heavy Pans
    Actually...

    The following is from the CA Fish and Wildlife website at https://www.wildlife.ca.gov/Conservation/LSA .
    When is Notification of Lake or Streambed Alteration (LSA) required?
    Fish and Game Code section 1602 requires an entity to notify CDFW prior to commencing any activity that may do one or more of the following:

    Substantially divert or obstruct the natural flow of any river, stream or lake;
    Substantially change or use any material from the bed, channel or bank of any river, stream, or lake; or
    Deposit debris, waste or other materials that could pass into any river, stream or lake.
    Please note that "any river, stream or lake" includes those that are episodic (they are dry for periods of time) as well as those that are perennial (they flow year round). This includes ephemeral streams, desert washes, and watercourses with a subsurface flow. It may also apply to work undertaken within the flood plain of a body of water.

    ....sooo....

    Being as how the water has to drain somewhere....and is more than likely to contain silt....and alter the stream bed via erosion and deposition....

    A permit from the water Gestapo is required. And it's expensive. And a pain in the ass.

    Unless I've missed some landmark victory in the fight for our mining rights here in California, which I very well may have, in which case fill be in brother!


    And would you cut the Victor crap already, Id run circles around that old koot. Might as well be sayin I play baseball like a girl.

  14. #29
    Charter Member
    us
    Nov 2010
    The Great Southwest
    3,458
    10028 times
    Prospecting
    Quote Originally Posted by Erect and Caffeinated View Post
    Actually...

    The following is from the CA Fish and Wildlife website at https://www.wildlife.ca.gov/Conservation/LSA .
    When is Notification of Lake or Streambed Alteration (LSA) required?
    Fish and Game Code section 1602 requires an entity to notify CDFW prior to commencing any activity that may do one or more of the following:

    Substantially divert or obstruct the natural flow of any river, stream or lake;
    Substantially change or use any material from the bed, channel or bank of any river, stream, or lake; or
    Deposit debris, waste or other materials that could pass into any river, stream or lake.
    Please note that "any river, stream or lake" includes those that are episodic (they are dry for periods of time) as well as those that are perennial (they flow year round). This includes ephemeral streams, desert washes, and watercourses with a subsurface flow. It may also apply to work undertaken within the flood plain of a body of water.

    ....sooo....

    Being as how the water has to drain somewhere....and is more than likely to contain silt....and alter the stream bed via erosion and deposition....

    A permit from the water Gestapo is required. And it's expensive. And a pain in the ass.

    Unless I've missed some landmark victory in the fight for our mining rights here in California, which I very well may have, in which case fill be in brother!


    And would you cut the Victor crap already, Id run circles around that old koot. Might as well be sayin I play baseball like a girl.
    Not a thing about water pumps in that Code (not law).

    Do you work for the CAFW?

    Heavy Pans
    Asmbandits likes this.

  15. #30

    Jan 2019
    12
    5 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Are we on the same page here cuz it's starting to sound like you're just arguing for the sake of argument. Pumping water is considered diverting it and since that water's going to have to flow back down to the stream at some point it's going to alter the stream bed within the floodplain of the river that I'm working on wherever that maybe. If we are allowed to run water pumps at the river than WYD isn't everybody doing it? It's not so much running the water pump as it is what you do with the water as any type of motorized or mechanical means of processing minerals is band by the revised red band rules

    Case in point? I present Fish and game code 5653
    Section G: (g) For purposes of this section and Section 5653.1 , the use of vacuum or suction dredge equipment, also known as suction dredging, is the use of a mechanized or motorized system for removing or assisting in the removal of, or the processing of, material from the bed, bank, or channel of a river, stream, or lake in order to recover minerals.  This section and Section 5653.1 do not apply to, prohibit, or otherwise restrict nonmotorized recreational mining activities, including panning for gold

    Now as much as I'd like to ignore reality or believe I'm above the law, it seems to me like section g was worded loosely enough for a fishing games officer to be able to encompass use of a water pump as "the use of a mechanized or motorized system for removing or assisting in the removal of, or the processing of, material from the bed, bank, or channel of a river, stream, or lake in order to recover minerals."

    So while there was no mention of water pumps being illegal...well let's just say if u think this doesn't encompass the use of a water pump, I'd say it's questionable if you've ever even used one for mining. I know there are lots of people working claims every day, some even with dredges. Maybe someone who's out there doin the damn thing for someone who's been busted running a water pump or better yet somebody who wasn't busted for running a water pump and has confirmed from law enforcement official that it's legal could chime in and fill me in on this whole gig because as far as I know the moment you start using that pump or water from it remaining law enforcement officers are going to flip a f****** script

 

 
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Remove Ads

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Similar Threads

  1. Carvings on large boulders
    By akemberson in forum Treasure Marks/Signs
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: Nov 05, 2016, 05:24 PM
  2. Gold Boulders
    By mrs.oroblanco in forum Treasure Legends - Alaska
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: Sep 25, 2013, 09:42 PM
  3. Big Boulders - vigin ground?
    By Fullpan in forum Gold Prospecting
    Replies: 26
    Last Post: May 20, 2013, 06:45 PM
  4. removing boulders
    By treasurefindr in forum Gold Prospecting
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: Jul 22, 2008, 03:17 AM
  5. Big Blue Boulders
    By bigfish31 in forum My Daily Snapshot
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: Dec 20, 2007, 08:10 PM
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v4.3.0