Miners angry about proposed regulations in Redding California

T

Tuolumne

Miners angry about proposed regulations

There was plenty of anger to go around Wednesday at Redding City Hall as some 80 miners turned out to lambaste a new state law to regulate suction dredge mining.

Under the law passed in 2015, the California Water Board is required to issue permits to miners who want to use the motorized dredges to get gold out of streams.

Water Board staff members held a workshop in Redding on Wednesday to take comment on whether the state should issue the permits, under what conditions and what miners would be required to do to offset potential environmental harm done by the mining.

“Should the state Water Board issue a permit? Emphatically no!” said James Foley, who lives along the Klamath River in Siskiyou County.

“Should certain protective practices be required? No. There is no harm from suction dredging,” he said. “What prohibitions should be applied? I say none.”

Out of the more than 30 commenters at the meeting, only one person in the audience spoke in favor of the permits. The rest disagreed with the premise that suction dredge mining harms the environment or fish.

Suction dredge mining has been prohibited in the state since 2009 because state officials are concerned about the environmental effects of the practice, which involves using a pump to suck materials from the bottom of a stream and run it through a sluice to separate gold.

Much of the concern centers around dredges kicking up mercury from stream beds. The mercury then gets into the food chain, causing a buildup of methylmercury in fish, according to the state.

Miners, however, say the dredges remove toxic metals. The dredges also can kick up sediment and disturb cultural sites, according to state officials.

Suction dredging also destroys salmon and trout salmon nests, said Forrest English, a program manager for Klamath Riverkeeper, an environmental advocacy group. The state Department of Fish and Wildlife is also required to change its suction dredge mining permits, but that is a separate process.

English said he would prefer the state not issue any permits. English did not attend the meeting in Redding, but went to the board workshop held Tuesday in Orleans in Humboldt County.

“The Water Board needs to either not permit this type of suction dredge mining or in the alternative put very strong protections in place where resources are not at risk,” English said before Wednesday’s meeting.

Miners said they were worried the permitting would be so complex, burdensome and expensive that they would not be able to afford to go through the process.

“But if you must (require permits), create a simple permitting process, one that is inexpensive and can be rapidly processed,” said Shannon Poe, president and CEO of the American Mining Rights Association.

Most at the meeting said mining was a way of life to them and they use mining to supplement their income. Creating a burdensome permit process would prevent that, they said.

Poe said miners are not environmentally irresponsible.

“It is a miner who has a real property mining claim. He pays taxes and is being denied the ability to feed his family due to ideology and not facts,” he said.

Upvote 0

Bejay

Bronze Member
Mar 10, 2014
Central Oregon Coast
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT
Garret fully underwater
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
States (via legislation) often adopt laws that conflict with Federal Laws....nothing new here. Many examples often show that the Federal Government comes back and tells States their laws are wrong and/and/or Unconstitutional. This usually occurs when the States populous raises a tremendous fuss and seeks Federal help. It is my belief that once we get a new Secretary of Interior (BLM) and Secretary of Agriculture (USFS) we miners may have a helpful method by which we can mount a "fuss" that gets some attention. Up until now we have had an adversarial ear in Wash.

Bejay

IMAUDIGGER

Silver Member
Mar 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
this pages where already taken out with the regulations before the ban,only dredging when not spawning season etc.
There,s no room left..

lets say you have a hardrock mine and they tell ya you could run your ops only a few months per year,with the smallest unpractical tools, lets say a pick when you should run an excavator.
This would equal the regs for dredgers before the ban, only small nozzle sizes during given months .
Then they ban you completely for years and try to shut you down based on lies and feelings and you read in a forum you should compromise more..8-)

The eco's dont want us in the water regardless if it doesn,t harm the rivers.
They wan't stop till we out of the water and they would love to stop and ban everything and everybody human else too,build a fence around the woods and allow only themself to walk -while well payed,-in nature so they can break the balls of all animals there because they want to count and chip them to create more income generating data.

If you were referring to my last message, I think you misunderstood what I was saying.

wingmaster

Bronze Member
Aug 10, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's MXT all pro, MXT300 D2, 950, 4X6 DD, detech ultimate 13" DD coils
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yet California is going to change the law on street vending to help the illegals out, go figure they support the illegals more than the citizens rights. My guess if the illegals want to mine for gold nothing would be off limits for them there.

spaghettigold

Oct 14, 2013
western sahara
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
IMAUDIGGER i,ve read some other posts lately about dredgers should make more compromise and thought your post was on the same line,i stand corrected,sorry

spaghettigold

Oct 14, 2013
western sahara
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
States (via legislation) often adopt laws that conflict with Federal Laws....nothing new here. Many examples often show that the Federal Government comes back and tells States their laws are wrong and/and/or Unconstitutional. This usually occurs when the States populous raises a tremendous fuss and seeks Federal help. It is my belief that once we get a new Secretary of Interior (BLM) and Secretary of Agriculture (USFS) we miners may have a helpful method by which we can mount a "fuss" that gets some attention. Up until now we have had an adversarial ear in Wash.

Bejay

What is the root of the problem?,Cause in the best scenario ,you cure the illness and don,t treat the symptoms.What gave the radicals this leverage they didnt had before? New laws and regulations? When did they came up?

Goldfleks

Jan 30, 2016
California
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT-300, Tesoro Sand Shark 10.5", Bazooka Sniper, Bazooka Prospector
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yet California is going to change the law on street vending to help the illegals out, go figure they support the illegals more than the citizens rights. My guess if the illegals want to mine for gold nothing would be off limits for them there.

Maybe thats the ticket right there. Pickup a few guys from HomeDeport (lol wow had to leave that in, my head thought depot, my hands typed deport) and have them run your dredge. With the attitude right now around immigration in California they probably wont enforce the dredge ban as long as you have undocumented workers running it.

Call it a jobs program. It's your liberal agenda to help these day laborers find consistent well paying sources of income. You might even get some cash flow from the government to help fund!

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I see it's not Norman at Sac. was he at Redding? I sure hope they didn't pull him from the program. If they did we know why and everything positive I've seen from these workshops is out the window.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread