mylandmatters

IMAUDIGGER

Silver Member
Mar 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
BLM and USFS are just land management agencies. They manage our public land through the enforcement of regulations - they don't not own it.
If the mineral estate has not been withdrawn from the public domain, you can generally file a claim on public land.

It gets tricky when public land has been patented out to private ownership, then the mineral estate is excepted out (retained) prior to trading/selling the land back back to the government.
Around here the rail road companies traded off the non-timbered ground to consolidate their holdings.

I would be surprised if there wasn't a bunch of info at that web site explaining the in's and outs of filing a claim.

OP
OP
N

n01d3x

Apr 24, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I searched through the site some and couldn't find anything, I'll keep looking. Though I assume that if it isn't labeled it must be private land. I would think state land is owned by the state. So this would seem that I should be looking for either blm or forest labeled land.

Bejay

Bronze Member
Mar 10, 2014
Central Oregon Coast
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT
Garret fully underwater
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
On mylandmatters, if an area doesn't show up as state, blm, or national forest does that mean it's private property? Can you only stake a claim on blm land?

if you are on the "google" earth style part of Landmatters or "topo" and you get to the spot in question you are looking at go over to the column and click on the info spot (?) (icon) and click on it....then click the refresh spot (icon) The status of the land should come up as a rectangular box in the upper right portion of your screen. There is also the Land Status Icon to highlight that you incorporate while cruising your mapping. Hope this helps. Once you get used to it you will find it an easy thing to utilize! Hope I steered you right....as I have not been on the site for about a year....but my mining partner is on it daily. I am pretty well set in my "looking" part of mining.

Bejay

winners58

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2013
Oregon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
you can only stake a claim under the mining laws on land unappropriated in the public domain.
on MyLandMatters - Land Status Maps you can turn on MTP and special servery and such, click on a spot will bring up links.
if you find a valuable mineral deposit on other lands, there are ways to prospect and lease when the mineral rights are reserved.
the Master Title Plat, and other survey's will show federal lands and right a ways. https://glorecords.blm.gov/default.aspx

Last edited:

goldenIrishman

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2013
Golden Valley Arid-Zona
Detector(s) used
Fisher / Gold Bug AND the MK-VII eyeballs
Primary Interest:
Other
When using the Land Management layer on the Mylandmatters maps, the areas without color are private land. Quick rundown of the colors off the top of my pointed hear:

No color = Private

Blue = State

Orange = BLM

Brown = Bureau of Indian Affairs (Reservation lands)

Light Green = USFS

Dark Green = Park Service

Yellow = Fish and Wildlife Service

Purple = Bureau of Reclamation

OP
OP
N

n01d3x

Apr 24, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks, that all pretty much answers all of my questions!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread