Jeff95531

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2013
Deep in the redwoods of the TRUE Northern CA
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Alpha 2000
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
It rained all last week. It rained all this week. Forecast for next week? You guessed it. So I dug out the Miller Table, took notes on what was wrong/needs to be fixed and there it sat. In the mean time, I gathered my super fines from the last trip to dial in the table once I get around to it. Then, my good buddy Delnorter PM's me with an offer of not only a few pounds of gold bearing black sands to feed my table, he also had concentrates from a recent gold/platinum and silver producing solo prospecting spot he discovered. Was I interested? Oh yeah!

Mike brought everything over and as he pulled out baggies of dart black sand, he also shows me the coolest plastic mini classifier set I've ever seen. He also lends me his black sand magnet/plunger which is something else I must have. As the new list of must haves roll in the background, he offers up this latest spot of his is accessible even now as flooding surrounds meaning it just may be an old river channel with good to moderate access. OK, now I'm excited...

But, first things first. The table taught me a lot since I got it, especially what not to do. One big problem is I never got full side to side coverage/discharge. I also let the pump sit in fines which reduced it to next to nothing for flow, even with attempts to revive it. So, I replaced the pump, put it in the filter/container and discovered the discharge hose was way way longer than it needed to be so cut it in half. Also used a different/courser scratch pad along with the denser stuff it came with.

I finally got it to be full and flat board (as a baseline) not to mention his black sands are freakin heavy! After lots of tweaking yesterday and today on the table, it's about right. I still have to reduce the amount of spray bar diffuser material I added in the head cuz max flow is not just not there yet. So far I'm finding 8% to 10 % loss in the discharge pan so not bad for not done.

002.JPG 004.JPG The water diffusing pads where packed with fines as shown in the pics. I took advantage of the rain to flush out "the mats".

013.JPG 016.JPG

There may be some extra pics...can't confirm deletes.

Attachments

• 014.JPG
    014.JPG
    214.8 KB · Views: 132
  • 018.JPG
    018.JPG
    1,009.5 KB · Views: 136
  • 020.JPG
    020.JPG
    936.9 KB · Views: 132
  • 022.JPG
    022.JPG
    839.8 KB · Views: 122
  • 024.JPG
    024.JPG
    271.6 KB · Views: 122
  • 025.JPG
    025.JPG
    214.1 KB · Views: 130
  • 027.JPG
    027.JPG
    476.1 KB · Views: 134
  • 029.JPG
    029.JPG
    243.6 KB · Views: 128
  • 032.JPG
    032.JPG
    914.4 KB · Views: 131
  • 033.JPG
    033.JPG
    903.7 KB · Views: 147
  • 034.JPG
    034.JPG
    899.5 KB · Views: 138
Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
Jeff95531

Jeff95531

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2013
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Alpha 2000
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
You guys are right on. I had not really noticed the difference in sizes till I looked @ the pics again. Should have caught that...yep.

Mike...the snuffer contents are all still here, just not in the same spots...which I will re-group today. The smallest classifier I have is 40 mesh (and will use that today to start with) so anything you have that is smaller would be great. I'll leave the magnetic step till after we get it all sorted out.

Thanks for the help guys! :icon_thumright:

johnedoe

Bronze Member
Jan 15, 2012
Oregon Coast
Detector(s) used
White's V3i, White's MXT, and White's Eagle Spectrum
Cleangold sluice & prospectors pan, EZ-Gold Pan, and custom cleanup sluice.
Primary Interest:
Other
Hey..... Just trying to keep you on the straight and narrow......... Which appears to be a full time job by the way....:laughing7:

Oregon Viking

Gold Member
Jan 6, 2014
Brookings-Harbor Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's prizm IV
Keene A52 with Gold Hog mats
Gold-N-Sand hand dredge
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
...and I'll race you both with just pans n classifiers!

OK. You can use what ever classifier you choose... But.... Here is your "competition" pan!
I will also include a.... production sluice!! smiley-laughing025.gif
Good luck Kev!!

DSCN2014.JPG

Oh, and it's -200 black beach sand.....

Hey Jeff... I inject nonsense in to threads, and sometimes... I've been told... go off topic!
Always... if you want my posts, pics silly BS removed....from your threads... just ask!

Last edited:
OP
OP
Jeff95531

Jeff95531

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2013
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Alpha 2000
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Just a quick update on delnorter's sample. He was kind enough to lend me his classifiers and the result was no gold in the +20. Not saying there weren't some interesting pieces...definitely some platinum and mini black magnetic rocks with tiny quartz veins...also saw my first piece of wire gold ever...all of which was cool enuff to explore. The +40's on the other hand, look quite promising. After I took the pics, I took a toothpick and started poking these tiny black clumps. They exploded into gold dust and explains a lot as to why I was having so much trouble with the magnetic black sands holding onto the gold. The pieces were bound so tight they released moisture into a two day dried pan. Cool chit!

002.JPG 006.JPG

Next, clean up the +40 and classify the remaining. May test the table Vs panning again. :laughing7:

OP
OP
Jeff95531

Jeff95531

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2013
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Alpha 2000
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

Thanks! I'll add that to the other one I stole from you. 8-)

Kevin Klean procedures:

For magnetic black sand clean up…

1. Classify first
2. Put cons in a large pan, in a thin layer, under an inch or so of water
3. Wave the magnet over the water drawing the material up thru the water. This will wash any non-mag material out as it comes up.
4. Dump magnetite and repeat.
5. Once no more is coming up, lower the magnet into the water somewhat using a back and forth or swirling motion to wash the material as it gathers on the magnet…don’t touch the material directly yet.
6. Dump and repeat.
7. Finally grind the magnet around in the material to get the last of the magnetite. Drop this material right back in the pan- it’ll land on top of the rest of the cons. Repeat step 5 once to grab this last material.
Good job, time to pan. It took longer to write this than it takes to do it!

No gold in NY

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2015
Detector(s) used
Whites Coin Master,
Whites Gold Master GMT, Whites MXSport
High banker/dredge,
DIY hand trommel,
DIY Miller table,
DIY fluidbed gold trap sluice,
Keene A-52 A-52s
2186 Wheaties
Primary Interest:
Other
My cons get demagnetized three times. Yup, it is time consuming, but it works. First time with two giant speaker magnets inside a ziplock. Magnets.JPG .
Then two more times with the Keene gold magnet.
My pump sets on a little dock off the tub bottom. Pump.JPG
Discharge material never goes directly into the tub. Instead there are two settling beds settleing pans.JPG
The first pan has a baffle to help divert material downward. Baffle.JPG
I do not understand the problem with the ScotchBrite pads unless you are running real dirty material.

Oregon Viking

Gold Member
Jan 6, 2014
Brookings-Harbor Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's prizm IV
Keene A52 with Gold Hog mats
Gold-N-Sand hand dredge
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Jeff here is yet another.... method.

Last edited:

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I love those guys but not their method. It requires you to dry your cons which:
1. Takes too long. I have my gold in the vial while they are still waiting for their cons to dry.
2. Handling cons dry increases the risk of losing gold...scattered across the floor of your workshop...or even worse, your campsite.

OP
OP
Jeff95531

Jeff95531

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2013
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Alpha 2000
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I do not understand the problem with the ScotchBrite pads unless you are running real dirty material.[/QUOTE]

Couldn't agree more on what you said and I really like what you've done with your setup. I raised and filtered my pump with a cut out plastic coffee can and as far away from the dump into my "catch pan" at the end. The only "problem" I had with the Scotch Pads were self induced...as I have a serious problem with tinkering/experimenting. I may remove a little more restriction at the head as I'm still not happy with max flow performance.

OP
OP
Jeff95531

Jeff95531

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2013
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Alpha 2000
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I love those guys but not their method. It requires you to dry your cons which:
1. Takes too long. I have my gold in the vial while they are still waiting for their cons to dry.
2. Handling cons dry increases the risk of losing gold...scattered across the floor of your workshop...or even worse, your campsite.

1. Yep. I've been surprised how long a drop of water can take to evaporate here lately. (Over 6 feet of rain so far since 10/1). I've tried both dry and wet lately and wet has the edge when you are dealing with a witches brew that delnorter offered me from his latest sample.

2. Yeah well, I'm not in the gold belt so I still treat my gold like uranium so no to losing it. My wife on the other hand is on probation from handling. (Seems she is programmed to spill upon handling) :dontknow:

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Last edited:
OP
OP
Jeff95531

Jeff95531

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2013
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Alpha 2000
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Yes. Still working with delnorters sample. Here is what I've found so far.

What appears to be platinum in the sample is more magnetic than the surrounding magnetic black sands. The platinum (and from what I could find on line) bonds the fines right along with the blacks. I get rid of as much of the nickle and magnetic blacks. Then I dry, break it up, dry it again and still a chore to separate. Wet worked better but something else I learned? All that glitters is not gold...especially when you get to -100. The sparkles in the sand (meaning platinum along with the gold) are misleading (to me) during panning so now what remains is set to go back on the Miller table tomorrow. The +40 gold is already in the soap dish....waiting for the rest.

(BTW Mike, thanks for the unsolicited and ultimate crash course in extreme fine gold recovery...tho it's perfect for fine tuning the table. :laughing7:)

Last edited:

N-Lionberger

Bronze Member
Dec 1, 2013
Arcata, California
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1212-x
Fisher Gold Bug 2
Whites 4900/SP3
Dowsing rods
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I only use a magnet when I am going through large amounts of black sand that only has very fine bits of gold left in it. I use a big steel pan to dry it out. I also roast and quench the non magnetics to release hidden values.

mytimetoshine

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2013
El Dorado County
Detector(s) used
GRIZZLY GOLD TRAP - ANGUS MACKIRK EXPLORER- BLUE BOWL - GOLD CUBE, MINELAB PRO 25 PINPOINTER-
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
what do you do with the magnetics after you pull them? beacuse I don't care how many time you swirl them in the water if your dealing with anything more then a teaspoon there WILL be gold trapped.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions