Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Like Tree174Likes

Thread: Time for black sands clean up and a sample of things to come

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    FIRE...Financially Independent Retired Early. Poor but free!

Feb 2013
    Deep in the redwoods of the TRUE Northern CA
    Teknetics Alpha 2000
    4037 times
    Prospecting
    Quote Originally Posted by KevinInColorado View Post
    ...and I'll race you both with just pans n classifiers!
    Name:  bring it.jpg
Views: 289
Size:  19.4 KB
    We don't fight for gain. We fight for what is rightfully ours.

Just another supporter of Land Matters http://www.mylandmatters.org/ The one stop place for mining matters on public lands!

CA prospectors check here http://www.mylandmatters.org/Donate/Gift1.html

A recent study found that there are just too many studies being done.

Apr 2003
    Alberta
    Various Minelabs(5000, 2100, X-Terra 705), Falcon MD20, Tesoro Sand Shark, Gold Bug Pro, Makro Gold Racer.
    3887 times
    Prospecting
    Jeff,

Glad to see you're still experimenting, refining, and enhancing your techniques.

I truly hope you're able to recover your fines, and I'm sure you'll get out when the rain finally stops to get some more of that beautiful gold.

All the best,

Lanny
    Nothin' quite as fun as chasin' nugget gold! http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/me...mysteries.html

us

Feb 2013
    Teknetics Alpha 2000
    4037 times
    Prospecting
    Been busy with life lately, all good but when I finally get to do something like actually working my table, I kind of messed up. But I get ahead of myself...and there in is the rub.

Me and Mike were pretty excited to get to the bottom of his snuffer bottle and he gave me 3 of his projects with specific instructions...
    Small baggie of black sands. Magnetics removed.
    Large baggie of black sands including magnetics.
    Snuffer bottle from latest field test.

Well once I got that table going dead on, I was more than ready to run material. Got the snuffer, flooded with jet dry treated water and flushed it out real good into a pan. About 5 table spoons full...enuf to cover the bottom of the pan. And I see gold and silver bits of sparkles all in the mix.. I fire up the table and start feeding a tablespoon at a time and the gold sticks like glue...just like it should. So wtf

So does something else stick around the gold. I can't seem to separate the black sand out of the way. Different flows, no change. So just before I scrape the pan for the "good stuff" (I can easily see them...lots of fines) I stare at what's recovered in the vial when it hits me. I grab another pan, dump the vial and wave the magnet over it. Yep, I forgot to take the magnetics out first.

Once that was done, looking a lot better in the last pic. The pan still has a very visible amount of fines waiting to be done properly and I won't let us down. And I'd love to blame it on my inexperience but I just get caught up in the gold. If you know me you know that. So back to check lists for me for a bit.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	001.JPG 
Views:	61 
Size:	607.1 KB 
ID:	1420654 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	005 5.JPG 
Views:	56 
Size:	343.0 KB 
ID:	1420655 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	006 1.JPG 
Views:	54 
Size:	408.8 KB 
ID:	1420656 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	012 1.JPG 
Views:	63 
Size:	1.61 MB 
ID:	1420657 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	015 1.JPG 
Views:	80 
Size:	500.7 KB 
ID:	1420658

More to come...
    russau and Aufisher like this.

Just another supporter of Land Matters http://www.mylandmatters.org/ The one stop place for mining matters on public lands!

us
    Jan 2012
    Oregon Coast
    White's V3i, White's MXT, and White's Eagle Spectrum Cleangold sluice & prospectors pan, EZ-Gold Pan, and custom cleanup sluice.
    1578 times
    Beach mining, Metal detecting, Trading.
    What classifier screens have you run the stuff though? I ask because some of the gangue looks larger than what your trying to recover.

Remember the golden rule.....
    If everything in the pan is the same size Gold rules.
    We hold these truths to be self-evident: that all men are created equal; that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable rights; that among these are life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness. Thomas Jefferson

Which is also why we have the second
    amendment.

us
    www.FindingGOLDinColorado.com

Jan 2012
    Summit County, Colorado
    Bazooka Goldtrap Prospector, Bazooka Goldtrap Sniper, Bazooka Goldtrap SuperMini, Angus Mackirk Expedition, custom metal sluices, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump, bench top rod mill, Whippet drywasher
    8962 times
    Prospecting
    And that table will work best with -50 and -100 material. Pan the bigger stuff, it's easy once you pull out the magnetics and the smaller stuff.

us
    Oct 2008
    Fort Dick, Ca.
    694 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Save the material from the snuffer separately if you can Jeff. I can let you use my screens. For some reason I can't see pictures on the forum since yesterday.

Mike

us

Feb 2013
    Teknetics Alpha 2000
    4037 times
    Prospecting
    You guys are right on. I had not really noticed the difference in sizes till I looked @ the pics again. Should have caught that...yep.

Mike...the snuffer contents are all still here, just not in the same spots...which I will re-group today. The smallest classifier I have is 40 mesh (and will use that today to start with) so anything you have that is smaller would be great. I'll leave the magnetic step till after we get it all sorted out.

Thanks for the help guys!
    Aufisher and russau like this.

us
    Jan 2012
    Oregon Coast
    White's V3i, White's MXT, and White's Eagle Spectrum Cleangold sluice & prospectors pan, EZ-Gold Pan, and custom cleanup sluice.
    1578 times
    Beach mining, Metal detecting, Trading.
    Hey..... Just trying to keep you on the straight and narrow......... Which appears to be a full time job by the way....
    We hold these truths to be self-evident: that all men are created equal; that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable rights; that among these are life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness. Thomas Jefferson

Which is also why we have the second
    amendment.

us

Feb 2013
    Teknetics Alpha 2000
    4037 times
    Prospecting
    Quote Originally Posted by johnedoe View Post
    Hey..... Just trying to keep you on the straight and narrow......... Which appears to be a full time job by the way....

Name:  duck on fish.jpg
Views: 231
Size:  8.4 KB

Charter Member
    us
    Wolf Pack!

Jan 2014
    Brookings-Harbor Oregon
    Bounty hunter gold digger Keene A52. Keene A52P Bazooka mini. Prospectors choice clean up sluice. Blue Bowl Gold-N-Sand hand dredge
    8382 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Quote Originally Posted by KevinInColorado View Post
    ...and I'll race you both with just pans n classifiers!
    OK. You can use what ever classifier you choose... But.... Here is your "competition" pan!
    I will also include a.... production sluice!! Name:  smiley-laughing025.gif
Views: 202
Size:  23.0 KB
    Good luck Kev!!

Name:	DSCN2014.JPG 
Views:	47 
Size:	3.93 MB 
ID:	1422568

Oh, and it's -200 black beach sand.....

Hey Jeff... I inject nonsense in to threads, and sometimes... I've been told... go off topic!
    Always... if you want my posts, pics silly BS removed....from your threads... just ask!
    Last edited by Oregon Viking; Mar 04, 2017 at 10:06 PM.

Freedom is something that dies unless it's used.

A patriot must always be ready to defend his country against his government.

A student said to his master, "You teach me fighting, but you talk about peace. How do you reconcile the two?"
    The master replied, "It is better to be a warrior in a garden, than to be a gardener in a war."

us

Jan 2012
    Summit County, Colorado
    Bazooka Goldtrap Prospector, Bazooka Goldtrap Sniper, Bazooka Goldtrap SuperMini, Angus Mackirk Expedition, custom metal sluices, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump, bench top rod mill, Whippet drywasher
    8962 times
    Prospecting
    LoL!

us

Feb 2013
    Teknetics Alpha 2000
    4037 times
    Prospecting
    Just a quick update on delnorter's sample. He was kind enough to lend me his classifiers and the result was no gold in the +20. Not saying there weren't some interesting pieces...definitely some platinum and mini black magnetic rocks with tiny quartz veins...also saw my first piece of wire gold ever...all of which was cool enuff to explore. The +40's on the other hand, look quite promising. After I took the pics, I took a toothpick and started poking these tiny black clumps. They exploded into gold dust and explains a lot as to why I was having so much trouble with the magnetic black sands holding onto the gold. The pieces were bound so tight they released moisture into a two day dried pan. Cool chit!

Name:	002.JPG 
Views:	52 
Size:	1.44 MB 
ID:	1424333 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	006.JPG 
Views:	48 
Size:	1.72 MB 
ID:	1424334

Next, clean up the +40 and classify the remaining. May test the table Vs panning again.
    delnorter and nh.nugget like this.

us

Jan 2012
    Summit County, Colorado
    8962 times
    Prospecting

us

Feb 2013
    Teknetics Alpha 2000
    4037 times
    Prospecting
    Thanks! I'll add that to the other one I stole from you.

Kevin Klean procedures:

For magnetic black sand clean up…

1. Classify first
    2. Put cons in a large pan, in a thin layer, under an inch or so of water
    3. Wave the magnet over the water drawing the material up thru the water. This will wash any non-mag material out as it comes up.
    4. Dump magnetite and repeat.
    5. Once no more is coming up, lower the magnet into the water somewhat using a back and forth or swirling motion to wash the material as it gathers on the magnet…don’t touch the material directly yet.
    6. Dump and repeat.
    7. Finally grind the magnet around in the material to get the last of the magnetite. Drop this material right back in the pan- it’ll land on top of the rest of the cons. Repeat step 5 once to grab this last material.
    Good job, time to pan. It took longer to write this than it takes to do it!
    KevinInColorado and wildminer like this.

us
    Mar 2015
    Greenwich, NY
    Whites Coin Master Whites Gold Master GMT, High banker/dredge, DIY hand trommel, DIY Miller table, DIY fluidbed gold trap sluice, Keene A-52 sluice, 1523 Wheaties
    334 times
    prospecting, metal detecting
    My cons get demagnetized three times. Yup, it is time consuming, but it works. First time with two giant speaker magnets inside a ziplock.Name:  Magnets.JPG
Views: 124
Size:  105.9 KB.
    Then two more times with the Keene gold magnet.
    My pump sets on a little dock off the tub bottom.Name:  Pump.JPG
Views: 119
Size:  97.8 KB
    Discharge material never goes directly into the tub. Instead there are two settling bedsName:  settleing pans.JPG
Views: 119
Size:  99.4 KB
    The first pan has a baffle to help divert material downward.Name:  Baffle.JPG
Views: 117
Size:  92.9 KB
    I do not understand the problem with the ScotchBrite pads unless you are running real dirty material.
    Jeff95531 likes this.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Remove Ads

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links