Where does the gold go after leaving the river?

goldenmojo

Bronze Member
Dec 9, 2013
N. California
Detector(s) used
Bazooka Prospector-Sniper-Supermini Thanks Todd & Chris, Goldhog Multisluice Thanks Doc, My Land Matters Thanks Claydiggins, 6 Senses
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
The gold when it leaves the river into the ocean sinks to the bottom. Further upstream the gold when it leaves the river sinks to the bottom of my pocket.

deserdog

May 17, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When gold is eroded out of a vein into a river or creek it quickly works its way to the bottom, be it hardpsck or bedrock. The gold will gather in certain places, like cracks, crevices and inside bends. Gold that pockets up in cracks and crevices will stay put until erosion or a miner removrs it. Now gold hung up on inside bends is more likely to move in flood waters, especially fine gold. Fine gold will make its way down stream in every flood.

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
big gold doesn't travel far. Most of what reaches the mouth of the river would be very fine. Regardless, gold is constantly trying to find a hard bottom to sit on and not move. Floods move river gold, storms and hurricanes move ocean gold.

T

Tuolumne

gold goes where you find it, ocean levels always go up and down, even bottom of ocean used to be land with gold in many places........... west saint Joachim valley used to be marine ocean

winners58

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2013
Oregon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
the nuggets do not go to the ocean, they barely move from the deposit they came from.
the gold in the river gets pounded to the point that all that's going to the ocean is fines.

the gold like in the bearing sea is pushed there by glacial action the moraine is washed away leaving the heavies.
there could be gold deposits in some of Mexico's lakes left over from the ice age.
The Mexican Alps: A Zone of Glacier Carved Cirques and Valleys and others if you look...

Last edited:
OP
OP
Z

Zolotov

Feb 16, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As I am understanding you guys, you are saying that gold nuggets NEVER get to the river mouth and beyond. Only gold sand reaches the ocean. I am understanding correctly? So there is no point in looking for gold nuggets past river mouth, right?

deserdog

May 17, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No, there are nuggets found in the ocean. But most probably did not get there by being carried by the river. Many river placers are now underwater, bracause as mentioned before sea level was at least 120 meters lower during the last ice age. And some nuggets undoubtedly did get pushed into the ocean by glaciers.

deserdog

May 17, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would imagine if there gold bearing rivers that empty into a body of water, and the water level rides, there should be some way to map the submerged river bed.

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The only way you will find nuggets in the ocean is if the mountain is eroded from is right beside the ocean, or it was shoved there by glaciers.

without knowing where you are wanting to search, we can only talk in generalities.

winners58

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2013
Oregon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
lots of gold left in Mexico just have to do some research and go above and beyond. takes knowledge, educate yourself and prosper$
Here is just a sampling I'm sure there are other sources like university's and such;
Mining and Geologic - Sources Mexico

Last edited:
OP
OP
Z

Zolotov

Feb 16, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
lots of gold left in Mexico just have to do some research and go above and beyond. takes knowledge, educate yourself and prosper$
Here is just a sampling I'm sure there are other sources like university's and such;
Mining and Geologic - Sources Mexico

here in Mexico it is not that easy as downloading the docs and going to the place marked with exact coordinates in the PDF. We have drug dealers here. I never went alone prospecting, I hired local geologists. And while they were teaching me they told me that I better watch my car , my mobile phone and all the money I carry because I am not going to return with these items if I meet drug dealers. They also told me a canadian mine was closed because the engineers were threatened to pay a ransom or fee for mine exploitation. The owner decided to close the project. So , I can't just go to any river and start panning the black sand. Because in a day or two I will be surrounded by guys armed with AK47 and end up giving away my stuff, hopefully not life. So , the only safe place for me are the beaches and oceanic coast, as they are highly touristic in Mexico and there are no drug dealers there.

Goldfleks

Jan 30, 2016
California
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT-300, Tesoro Sand Shark 10.5", Bazooka Sniper, Bazooka Prospector
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sounds like the only gold you'll be finding is in rings and jewelery. Which is going to be very hard to make a living off of. BUT could provide you with some side cash if you pay attention to the swells and cuts on those tourist beaches.

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No drug dealers there?? Oh really!

I'm pretty sure he was saying there aren't armed narco-trafficker gang members. There are tons of average Joses selling weed to tourists but they don't bother you, and I have found that while detecting, none of them try selling me anything. Just walking down the beach enjoying the scenery and you will most likely get asked to buy almost everything. Every location is different.

wildminer

Dec 2, 2015
Jefferson Coast
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
OK, I've spent most of my life fishing on the ocean off the lower 48. I was a crab fisherman for many years and can tell you that crab like to come in close to shore the calmer the ocean gets to feed on their favorite, razor clams. I did not like fishing crab in close to the surf, but I know others that did. When a storm comes in those pots that are in close may get sanded in due to the turbulence and the bait jars will fill with sand. In front of gold bearing rivers, and on either side, pots have been recovered by those I know after being sanded in and the bait jars will be full of black sand. Sadly, I've never collected any of the black sand or had my friends save me some. Maybe the mouths of these rivers could be prospected looking for black sand on the low minus tides. Maybe use a clam gun (suction tube) to get down deeper looking for the layer? Maybe I'm crazy, but I know the fine heavies are there.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread