High banker/dredge,
DIY hand trommel,
DIY Miller table,
DIY fluidbed gold trap sluice,
Keene A-52 A-52s
2186 Wheaties
Primary Interest:
Other
When cleaning up your sluice at the river do you slosh the matting up and down, shake, and beat it in a bucket of water and think it is clean? Guess again.

I use to think I was doing a good job until I got a rare brain storm. You may like my method.

Lay a couple wood strips on your bench. I used 2X2. wood strips.JPG

Place black plastic over strips to form trough. black plastic.JPG

Lay in a piece of 1/2" or 1/4" hardware cloth to fit. hardware cloth.JPG

Place matting up side down in hardware cloth. green matting.JPG

Apply your vibrating sander. Remove sand paper and replace with black plastic. sander.JPG

You will need to do this several times. The sand keeps coming and coming.

Attachments

• recovered sand.JPG
    recovered sand.JPG
    75.2 KB · Views: 283
Upvote 0

Dirthogg

Nov 10, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You are totally correct.I use a random orbital sander.It works very well with actual carpet,we find that after the carpet is dried then we vibrate and the fine gold some of it so small you can't even see it till it's brushed into a pile.Totallly amazing how much gets trapped in the fibers of the carpet.Great info!DH

Ragnor

Dec 7, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's really cool! I have an old blue mat lying here from a sluice Ive been using since the 1990's I just havn't been able to bring myself to burn it. I just replaced it this past year.
Now I can get a whole bunch of fine flour gold too small to work with, LOL! But it really is a great idea.

OP
OP
No gold in NY

No gold in NY

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2015
Detector(s) used
Whites Coin Master,
Whites Gold Master GMT, Whites MXSport
High banker/dredge,
DIY hand trommel,
DIY Miller table,
DIY fluidbed gold trap sluice,
Keene A-52 A-52s
2186 Wheaties
Primary Interest:
Other
I got a bunch of sand out from the photo shoot. If there is any gold it will be too small for me to see.

Bonaro

Aug 9, 2004
Olympia WA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 70, Minelab SD 2200d, 2.5", 3", 4"and several Keene 5" production dredges, Knelson Centrifuge, Gold screw automatic panner
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I have smooth concrete floors in my garage. After my mats are all dried out I throw them on the floor and slap them all over with a 2x4, flat side down. Shake them, turn them repeat then sweep the floor. I usually free up over a quart of fines sand from my 5" 3 stage mats.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread