Feb 18, 2016
Youngstown, FL
Detector(s) used
GPX 4500,
Fisher Gold Bug Pro,
Gold Hog stream sluice
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can't remember where I read it now, but just recently I was reading an article about this very fact...that the ecosystems of the West are much different than other places in the country, and how this relates to species management. With more moisture, topsoil, green growth, etc., there is a bit more latitude both for absorbing crises, and also for recovery after an issue is discovered, in other areas. Many places in Western states have a low species density per acre, as well as a lower comparative population number of each species, against other areas. As a result, Western states can potentially be more fragile.

If a commercial mining operation clears several acres in the West, the potential consequences of this are on a par much higher than, say, a timber company clearing the same number of acres in the East. Afterwards, it can take much longer for the area to return to "how it was." Folks who earn their money from the land in Western states feel "beat upon" more than other areas of the country, and feel like they're being singled out and treated more harshly than others. But it's really due to the unique geography and weather patterns that make these lands more delicate in terms of species management...not any conspiracy theories.

Managing all these factors requires a comprehensive plan to balance the needs of the people who wish to exploit the land, as well as protect the lands -- and species that inhabit them -- for future generations. Unfortunately, we as small-scale miners get caught in the middle sometimes, and have to pay for the sins of others...

rodoconnor

Bronze Member
Mar 4, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
And this explains perfectly why management should be entirely done at the local level not by a bloated Fedearal dynasty

bcfromfl

Feb 18, 2016
Youngstown, FL
Detector(s) used
GPX 4500,
Fisher Gold Bug Pro,
Gold Hog stream sluice
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
...except history has proven that local interests fail to do what is necessary, serve only special interests in back-room deals, don't have enough money, or fail to recognize there is a problem at all in time to do something productive. For these reasons, it's best to have a centralized agency handle lands management when it comes to endangered/threatened species.

One need look no further than what has happened in California, and now in Oregon, to see that local agencies don't do what is right.

Bejay

Bronze Member
Mar 10, 2014
Central Oregon Coast
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT
Garret fully underwater
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
And who thinks States give a hoot about Federal preemption laws? States have their laws and Feds have their laws & people are left to suffer the consequences; unless one Gov entity wants to challenge another in court. People don't have the endless pocketbooks to endure the endless court battles.

Bejay

rodoconnor

Bronze Member
Mar 4, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
...except history has proven that local interests fail to do what is necessary, serve only special interests in back-room deals, don't have enough money, or fail to recognize there is a problem at all in time to do something productive. For these reasons, it's best to have a centralized agency handle lands management when it comes to endangered/threatened species.

One need look no further than what has happened in California, and now in Oregon, to see that local agencies don't do what is right.
The State of Idaho contradicts this

mendoAu

Apr 23, 2014
SW Oregon
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
When asked whether it was difficult to get farmers to cooperate, for fear that it
might subject them to ESA regulation, the student responded “no.” Instead, the
biggest hurdle for the project was navigating the ESA regulatory process, including
consultation.

ummm..."consultation" equals "time" multiplied by "hourly wage" equals "job security" so of course some would welcome as much time spent as possible. An example of "if I imply that it's good for future generations I'll be able to pad my personal bank account" altho having never ever seen a borrowing multi spotted beetle burrow I appreciate what they have done for my vacation plans to the Bahamas.
Still have not seen anything/report/news story where the ESA has demanded to reverse acts created based on un-substantiated "facts" and "possibly's". It seems to me that once a costly, well documented report comes out that in just a few short years it may not support an Org's position and that a new time extensive report must be done...and let's just ASSUME that the new report will come to the conclusions we are stating so let's just slap a moritorium on the existing performance of whatever for the next several years.
I'm just speaking for myself but some of the stupid statements and high-handed, behind closed door deal making of org.'s like ESA, Water boards and politicos has made me swing from "kinda in the middle of the road" to downright scr ew them all. And would it be illegal to state that if I ever do come across a cute little multi-colored burrowing beetle that it will quickly feel the waffle sole of my boot?
Go on defending ESA "as being the lesser of two evils" when it makes more sense to me that if you have two evils then eliminate them BOTH.
Oh well...just babbling and the sun is out here in Oregon (what a welcome sight) so going out to change the oil/drain and fill the gas tanks, wax the pontoons and machine/fabricate a flap on my dredge nozzle..........Happy Easter and hope to see many bunnies that seem to have avoided the endangered species list..so far.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread