Jeff95531

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2013
Deep in the redwoods of the TRUE Northern CA
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Alpha 2000
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
During my last prospecting trip, I found that my 1/2 classifier was just not cutting it all by itself...as in too much material to pan down. I want to get down to flake size (-12) as fast as possible. How do I do it? I'm thinking of finding, making something that will reduce 4 times all at once. From 1/2" to 1/4" to 1/8" and 12. (I have all except for the 1/4") Yes they nest and that is the problem. It would plug instantly...not enuff space in between.

Ideas??? And no on the Gold Hog pan. That would freakin kill me!

In the new toy dept, I got this today for $7.37 with no tax and free 3 day shipping. Very happy with it. :icon_thumright:

mag.jpg

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009RLGDPE/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Lots of complaints on how small it is but it says up front it is 5" high. :icon_scratch:

Upvote 0

n01d3x

Apr 24, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am interested in this as well, except for cons. Creating a gap between the screens would be easy. I figured I could cut like 4" circles out of a 5 gallon bucket and put one in between each classifier. I'm just not sure enough water pressure will get down to the lower screens in order to classify.

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
During my last prospecting trip, I found that my 1/2 classifier was just not cutting it all by itself...as in too much material to pan down. I want to get down to flake size (-12) as fast as possible. How do I do it? I'm thinking of finding, making something that will reduce 4 times all at once. From 1/2" to 1/4" to 1/8" and 12. (I have all except for the 1/4") Yes they nest and that is the problem. It would plug instantly...not enuff space in between.

Ideas??? And no on the Gold Hog pan. That would freakin kill me!

In the new toy dept, I got this today for $7.37 with no tax and free 3 day shipping. Very happy with it. :icon_thumright:

View attachment 1441041

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009RLGDPE/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Lots of complaints on how small it is but it says up front it is 5" high. :icon_scratch:

K Jeff pay attention :)

Home Depot or Lowes.

get Black mortar tub over by the drywall mud. There are two sizes the big one is stronger lasts longer. Plasgad Black Large Concrete Mixing Tub-887102C - The Home Depot I use one on the claim to clean out my sluices also. better than a bucket. IMHO

1x3 or 4 common pine board.

1/4 hardware cloth.

Make a frame that will fit in tub. Add hardware cloth.

Fill tub at creek or home put in frame classifier, classify with 1/2 inch or milk crate into 1/4. Classify with it until tub is fullish

Pan the minus 1/4

Keep your eye out at thrift stores and yard sales for 1/4 stainless steel baking racks or buy one https://www.centralrestaurant.com/A...ping_725-D59&gclid=CJjqzq2Sr9MCFQ2JfgodBGgIyQ

It is the better version of hardware cloth and will make your wood frame very rigid. Doing this the frame is the size of your screen.

you may want brackets on your corners if you go with hardware cloth

Last edited:
OP
OP
Jeff95531

Jeff95531

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2013
Deep in the redwoods of the TRUE Northern CA
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Alpha 2000
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thanks buddy. So happens some scraps from 2 recent mobile home demolitions means huntin season just opened. I already got five free 5 gl buckets with lids but the deal was I had to take what was in em too. -12 clay! Oh joy! I did one sample and 8 washes later...black sand and no gold. Not sure what to do with it now???

btw, very familiar with the tubs. Big one's for the highbanker an the lil one for the miller table.

bcfromfl

Feb 18, 2016
Youngstown, FL
Detector(s) used
GPX 4500,
Fisher Gold Bug Pro,
Gold Hog stream sluice
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Or, if you don't have the time to DIY, the Martin classifiers are pretty nifty, nest inside the main classifier pan, and fit inside a 5-gallon bucket: Martin Prospecting

This video demonstrates them:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread