Skirting the law, just a 'for fun' question....

Ragnor

Dec 7, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So if you were in an area that forbids any form of wheeled vehicle. How well do you think it would fly to have a tracked vehicle? Do you think they would try and count the gear wheels as wheels? What if you used sprockets?

realistically I accept that I am probably relegated to skids at best. Since even a hot air balloon probably qualifies as an aircraft.

I may just literally end up with a string of donkey's by the end of it.....

Upvote 0

bobw53

Oct 23, 2014
Hatch, New Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Guy I know and his Brother in Law got bit by the Gold Bug(Richard Scarry?) a while back, and they wanted to get into some gnarly places..

He got 2 mules for free, and then bought a cheap POS horse trailer..

Cheaper than a 4 wheeler. If it breaks down you can shoot it and the coyotes will eat it.
If the hill is too steep, you get off and it goes up the hill by itself, no pushing..
It doesn't get stuck..
Quiet, unless you feed it a bean burrito.

Of course you have to feed and water it, but nobody is going to think you are crazy talking to your mule... Talking
to your 4 wheeler, you look a little crazy.

Trying to be "clever" (and I understand that) by using tracks instead of wheels, I think that might bite you in the ass...

et1955

Jan 10, 2015
Shoreline,wa
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
If you look up the definition of a vehicle, track systems are included. Wheels are needed to support the tracks.

Capt Nemo

Bronze Member
Apr 11, 2015
Oshkosh, WI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just get a tank! Nobody's going to argue when you slew the gun! :tongue3:

Works for flattening little white pickups, and making new roads too!

OP
OP
Ragnor

Ragnor

Dec 7, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Guy I know and his Brother in Law got bit by the Gold Bug(Richard Scarry?) a while back, and they wanted to get into some gnarly places..

Cheaper than a 4 wheeler. If it breaks down you can shoot it and the coyotes will eat it.
If the hill is too steep, you get off and it goes up the hill by itself, no pushing..
It doesn't get stuck..

Of course you have to feed and water it, but nobody is going to think you are crazy talking to your mule... Talking

Trying to be "clever" (and I understand that) by using tracks instead of wheels, I think that might bite you in the ass...

Yeah, Ive already got horse or two wondering around here and I expect my lady friend would let me borrow her horse trailer if I asked real nice. I don't really know much about mules. Fellah in Idaho told me they are a 4 wheel drive horse.

Bonaro

Aug 9, 2004
Olympia WA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 70, Minelab SD 2200d, 2.5", 3", 4"and several Keene 5" production dredges, Knelson Centrifuge, Gold screw automatic panner
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
If you look up the definition of a vehicle, track systems are included. Wheels are needed to support the tracks.

The Theoretical question is "wheeled vehicle". If the rule simply said no vehicles then all would be prohibited. A tracked vehicle is not a wheeled vehicle...let 'er rip

sprailroad

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2017
Grants Pass, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Garrett A3B United States Gold Hunter, GTA 1000, AT Pro, Discovery Treasure Baron "Gold Trax", Minelab X-Terra 70, Safari, & EQ 800, & Nokta Marko Legend. EQ 900.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How about a llama? Not as stubborn as a mule, they pack loads really well, and love to go for walks.

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XLT, GMT, 6000D Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mules,
I think I must have some Mule blood in me somewhere but - I was coming out on a rough, steep trail and this fella and a helper with a string of mules was coming in, the animals were loaded though I'd guess the Leader had them loaded reasonably and down the trail they went, a bit of skidding and they must have made it past a really bad steep mini drop off in the trail so yeah, Mules can work but they do kick up a LOT of Dust! Then in the off season there is keeping them fed, clean, medicated/doctored, shod and all the other good stuff. There is no easy solution but best of success with whatever you end up with...............63bkpkr

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your the best possible mode of transportation ever Herb. I've seen the pics of your "mini dropoff" and by god not even a mule would attempt that harrowing feat. Yep your feet have been the best a the best for many years and hope you can finally get back to the hills you covet sooooooooooooooo much-tons a au 2 u 2-John

rodoconnor

Bronze Member
Mar 4, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Horses/mules have been regarded as vehicles [ not wheeled of course]. I know of guys getting DUIs for "operating" a horse while under the influence.

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
I know of guys getting DUIs for "operating" a horse while under the influence.
Seriously? That's insane! I'm not a drinker and am against drunkenness, but geez!

In Minnesota, I've seen LOTS of folks driving their lawn mowers and even farm tractors to and from the bar. I promise you, a 15,000 pound tractor can do a LOT more damage than a horse!

Bonaro

Aug 9, 2004
Olympia WA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 70, Minelab SD 2200d, 2.5", 3", 4"and several Keene 5" production dredges, Knelson Centrifuge, Gold screw automatic panner
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Horses/mules have been regarded as vehicles [ not wheeled of course]. I know of guys getting DUIs for "operating" a horse while under the influence.

I dont agree with this but I guess it depends on how much the horse had drank...8-)

nh.nugget

Sep 3, 2013
e.rochester nh.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
whites, KEENE A52 sluice, 3" dredge
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nh. wheeled vehicle is a tire or track that runs on bare ground. Add snow and it's game on! Not on bare ground that's how we run our atvs in the winter on snow mobile trails. And in Nh you can get a DWI on a bicycle seen it! The guy hit a parked car! LOL!

beekbuster

Jan 17, 2015
Detector(s) used
gpx 4500
gpz (died in a fire. rip)
Primary Interest:
Other

It doesn't get stuck..

they are not called hay burners for nothing, bale a week at 20 bucks a bale, gets pricey. damn thing is supposed to key on deer too, but failed to do so. 3hrs into a walk and never set a hand on the reins, patted on the neck and said "good pony" and BOOF! there go 8-10 deer i never saw, damn horse!!!!

OP
OP
Ragnor

Ragnor

Dec 7, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How about a llama? Not as stubborn as a mule, they pack loads really well, and love to go for walks.
I understand llamas to be fairly load and range limited. Max weight is only 75 lbs and a show I watched about people in the Andes said they have two sets because they only pack half a day on one string and then shift the load to the fresh animals. They also said that while 75 was max they prefer 50 lb loads as not to stress the animals.

OP
OP
Ragnor

Ragnor

Dec 7, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Horses are allowed in wilderness and motorless areas. Though there are a pile of regulations on how you keep them and what feed is allowed also. Certified weed free hay is quite the racket. I know a guy who does hay and he sells weed free certified hay. Both regular and 'weed free' are from the same field. Just one has the approval stamp and cost about 25% more.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread