Moving to CA in about 30 days, trying to narrow down a specific city.

crumbaker

Feb 22, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I sell computers for a living on ebay and craigslist. I'm ok if craigslist isn't as good of an option anymore. My gf and I broke up in January, and I probably don't have any kids, so I have nothing holding me back. I've saved up some money for this and want to be in the best reasonably sized city (10k+) to be around great placer mining spots.

Time is ticking down till when my lease is up, so I'm just really trying to narrow it down to a few spots to find a place. I was thinking Grass Valley, but any other suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Upvote 0

goldenmojo

Bronze Member
Dec 9, 2013
N. California
Detector(s) used
Bazooka Prospector-Sniper-Supermini Thanks Todd & Chris, Goldhog Multisluice Thanks Doc, My Land Matters Thanks Claydiggins, 6 Senses
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

Capt Nemo

Bronze Member
Apr 11, 2015
Oshkosh, WI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That sounds like little girls going to Hollywierd to become a star!

Reality is, they go to become strippers and hookers.

mikep691

Aug 6, 2015
Northeastern Sierra's
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OK, here's a wet noodle idea for you: Reno, Nv. Couple hours to the northern Mother Lode, even closer to the separate Northern gold belt, ie, Feather river watershed. Cheaper than anything in Calif. (but on the rise), no income tax, also there is gold 45 mile east and even more gold a few hours away. You could have the option of going either direction for your gold fix. I live in Cal. about 30 miles from Reno, work in Reno, and mine near Quincy Ca. We get 1-3 grams every weekend we mine our claim. Even reasonable rents in the eastern Sierras, towns like Portola, Loyalton, and Quincy. Close enough to Reno for major shopping, but have everything you need locally as well.

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
there is all kinds of open accessible area in Ca.

You don't need a dredge or Hi banker to get 6 grams a eek if your on a decent creek or river. and spend four or five days at a time doing it.

Living simply is the way to go. many of the foothill towns have afordable rent and even small trailer parks with spaces for rent.

I would look from Modesto up to Yuba City Oroville area.

Try it for your self don't let other peoples bad experiences turn you away.

goldenmojo

Bronze Member
Dec 9, 2013
N. California
Detector(s) used
Bazooka Prospector-Sniper-Supermini Thanks Todd & Chris, Goldhog Multisluice Thanks Doc, My Land Matters Thanks Claydiggins, 6 Senses
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Try Mylandmatters.com I linked you to the donate page.

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
the main Issue is going to be finding a buyer that isn't going to bum you out. Your looking at 28 to 32 a gram right now if you "have to sell"

Sometimes better if you are selling more than an ounce at a time.

If you end up near Sacramento message me I'll give you my info. I'll buy from you if your pulling your gold from a claim of your own or one you can prove you have permission to work.

Ignore the negative guys

Last edited:

SteveOrygun

Apr 15, 2017
Orygunistan
Detector(s) used
Garret AT Pro Born 4/17..
Fisher CZ3d W/Nasa Tom tune!
Whites V3i.... WOW!!😎
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Steve I thought about that, but I need an address for ebay unfortunately. I really don't think this goal is all that crazy. Hell I know spots in Ohio I could probably pull a consistent 3 grams a week. I wouldn't think it would be that hard to find 6ish grams gold a week in California, especially a guy that's youngish(34) and in good shape. Even if I don't, I'm fine financially anyway. Thanks for those of you that gave sound advice. I think I'm going to just hit up the motherload section on craigslist and find the best deal I can.

Big Bear tailings piles.... just say'n.....

mytimetoshine

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2013
El Dorado County
Detector(s) used
GRIZZLY GOLD TRAP - ANGUS MACKIRK EXPLORER- BLUE BOWL - GOLD CUBE, MINELAB PRO 25 PINPOINTER-
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No need to be so negative..

I think my post would fall more under the comedy genre rather then negative. Good luck

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
if i was you I would send my resume' to toad hoffman

OP
OP
crumbaker

crumbaker

Feb 22, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
the main Issue is going to be finding a buyer that isn't going to bum you out. Your looking at 28 to 32 a gram right now if you "have to sell"

Sometimes better if you atre selling more than an ounce at a time.

if you end up near Sacramento message me I'll give you my info. I'll buy from you if your pulling your gold from a claim of your own or one you can prove you have permission to work.

Ignore the negative guys

I was thinking ebay, but whoever wants to buy it. Even with ebay fee's it seems to go for a decent amount GOLD NUGGETS 4.10 grams Alaskan Placer Franklin Creek #10 - #12 Mesh Gold | eBay for example

BIGMAMAGDUST

Tenderfoot
Apr 24, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
HI CRUM, I SAW SOME LAND FOR SALE AT BILLYLAND AUCTIONS NEAR ALTURAS IN MODOC COUNTY IN NORTERN CALI.

4x4x4

Bronze Member
Mar 25, 2017
Southern California, outside of San Diego
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
.....Partner , I've lived both places. An acquaintance in the GNW makes quite a poke in gold , and he's not native !
Washington has some great Au areas though I no longer know about dredging laws that have plagued CA and OR.
AN IDEAL AREA COULD BE THE BORDER OF CA/OR. Many live there to take advantage of tax laws on both sides (fuel, income, sales)
You've done some good research already....this is no dress rehearsal so GO FOR IT WITH GUSTO !
Best hunting,
Mark.

Last edited:

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
.....Partner , I've lived both places. An acquaintance in the GNW makes quite a poke in gold , and he's not native !
Washington has some great Au areas though I no longer know about dredging laws that have plagued CA and OR.
AN IDEAL AREA COULD BE THE BORDER OF CA/OR. Many live there to take advantage of tax laws on both sides (fuel, income, sales)
You've done some good research already....this is no dress rehearsal so GO FOR IT WITH GUSTO !
Best hunting,
Mark.

^^^^^^^^

XtreasureX

Mar 1, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wouldn't discourage anyone from going after a dream, but consistently getting a gram of gold and day with a shovel is no easy task. Especially when it's a second job. Even on good nugget ground with a detector. I've personally done what you are looking to try and do. It's tough. However, this thread has quite a bit of great advice from helpful folks. If you're determined to do it, get out anywhere you think is best for you and meet others with a similar plan. Be willing to take advice from the people you meet and realize that you are starting a new trade and need help.

If I remember correctly, a useful saying that has served me well....it's not the miner that makes the money, it's the guy that sells the picks and shovels.

Obsessive

Apr 16, 2017
NW Portland, OR
Detector(s) used
XP Deus/MI-6 w/ HF/XF/LF
Tesoro Cibola / Land and Sea pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can't speak to mining gold, but Im learning more about it every day and look forward to trying my hand at it. Otherwise theres a lot of good advice here, definitely don't let the nay-sayers stop you what ever that dream may be. I'd say do your reasearch maybe even plan a trip to visit a few places before you commit.

I moved to CA from OR from BC from OR from CA from CO from MO with bouts of time in FL. Unfortunately the negatives here are true... its overpriced and full of idiots. But man I love the weather and the views. I would also love to get further away from the bay and more into the Sierras, but that would involve a career change or early retirement, neither of which are affordable right now. I'm willing to trade good weather for peace and quiet though. I've been looking for an escape route for awhile.

Earlier someone suggested Reno, and I think he had a pretty solid arugment. I've also been thinking about Idaho, I do see they have gold.

OP
OP
crumbaker

crumbaker

Feb 22, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How do you probably not have any kids??

Who am I kidding I probably do ;p

Got an offer in Jackson that looks good, any reason I shouldn't go to that area?

mikep691

Aug 6, 2015
Northeastern Sierra's
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Who am I kidding I probably do ;p

Got an offer in Jackson that looks good, any reason I shouldn't go to that area?

Jackson, Pine Grove and Pioneer are all good choices. The Moke River is one of the purest gold rivers in the state, but most areas are either private or claimed. It will take a lot of research to find an area that is open AND accessible.

mattt

Apr 23, 2017
northern calif
Detector(s) used
Garrett at gold
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Quincy in plumas county surrounded be claims lots of gpaa and for sale claims plumas county has some real affordable towns like Westwood where you can buy house for under 60,000$

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread