Tailings and an abandoned mine.

jza01701

Jun 17, 2016
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Falcon MD20
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
So, I would assume assaying a sample is going to be a common response to this thread.

I have a claim in Nevada that was an abandoned mine.

The tailings near the adit look to be mostly flour gold. The entire pile is filled with golden yellow fine materials.

I was planning on drywashing as there is zero water even to purchase within 30 miles.

I looked at photos of gold dust online; some are likely gold, the rest are likely scammers selling sand.

I was wondering if anyone has ever heard of this or personally pulled large amounts of flour gold out of tailings?

It just seems a little uncommon to me to see such a large amount of gold colored material in the sand and gravel tailings.

Thanks.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
J

jza01701

Jun 17, 2016
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Falcon MD20
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I am not a foreigner... My grandparents immigrated.... We still speak Italiano.

Skunked68w

Jul 25, 2015
Denver, CO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
XRF is misleading. I hope you have samples you have gotten yourself and had fire assayed before purchase. Scams are the norm in western mining history

Skunked68w

Jul 25, 2015
Denver, CO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you only have a little time and the adits are safe I would go high grade the vein system and crush and recirculate it. That's your best bet for good gold. Is the ore free milling? The yellow pile makes me doubt it. Lots of sulfur.

Skunked68w

Jul 25, 2015
Denver, CO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Another avenue for profit is mineral specimens. I would take a day to walk the entire claim and look at the rocks for anything cool. A few good specimens can pay for the entire trip

bug

Jun 5, 2008
Nor Cal
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It would be helpful if you research whatever district of Nevada your mines at. Many areas there dont have free milling gold and you cannot just drywash it out.
I have freinds that take vein gold out of tailings and prospects in Northern Nevada, but the tails are full of chunky mineralized quartz.

diverrick

Jan 18, 2011
Vacaville, CA
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Minelab Eureka gold
Primary Interest:
Other
Well? what can I say? You sound like you bought this claim sight unseen no testing to see if it is even valuable? Maybe an Ebay listing? The old time miners who mined that were no idiots. They threw that stuff out because it did not contain enough value to work. A lot of Nevada such as the Carlin district is micron gold. it cannot be seen by the naked eye, nor can it be taken out and separated for a reasonable costs of a single operator. It takes a lot of equipment and permits. They threw that away as waste. A detector I doubt will find anything but frustration. I would focus on where it came from and get that opened up, then you need to do assays and get someone on your side who knows what they are looking at. The tailings your seeing are different colors due to them being newer by centuries compared to the surrounding native soil, plus all the minerals that might be in it.. All mines in Nevada have this distinct look due to so little rain falls. Does not mean it is gold. Sorry to bust your bubble, but you will have to do some very hard work to even make this pay for your costs I am afraid. The fact that your an absentee owner makes it that much harder to do.

IMAUDIGGER

Silver Member
Mar 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well? what can I say? You sound like you bought this claim sight unseen no testing to see if it is even valuable? Maybe an Ebay listing? The old time miners who mined that were no idiots. They threw that stuff out because it did not contain enough value to work. A lot of Nevada such as the Carlin district is micron gold. it cannot be seen by the naked eye, nor can it be taken out and separated for a reasonable costs of a single operator. It takes a lot of equipment and permits. They threw that away as waste. A detector I doubt will find anything but frustration. I would focus on where it came from and get that opened up, then you need to do assays and get someone on your side who knows what they are looking at. The tailings your seeing are different colors due to them being newer by centuries compared to the surrounding native soil, plus all the minerals that might be in it.. All mines in Nevada have this distinct look due to so little rain falls. Does not mean it is gold. Sorry to bust your bubble, but you will have to do some very hard work to even make this pay for your costs I am afraid. The fact that your an absentee owner makes it that much harder to do.

There were also audits that were just exploratory in nature. Investments were spent hoping to hit a good vein system. Thousands of feet of tunnels sometimes were dug in hopes of hitting something worth following.

SaltwaterServr

Mar 20, 2015
Texas
Primary Interest:
Other
This guy again.

This is the resident Dr. General. He's stated he's a retired Lieutenant General with a PhD in herpetology that takes bus trips from Boston to Nevada for prospecting. Bus trips but can only come once a year.

He's stated in threads that he has mental health issues and that he's been sober for 4 years now.

This was his first find, a piece of gold he found on the surface of the ground that "unfolded". Oh, in his own words, "Though, I did not dig much or use a detector."

bullshit.jpg

His introduction as a new member post:

Unfortunately, though I have many more questions about a mining site I have found, I am failing miserably at following conversation in my second language!

I will be taking a break from posting on this site as my responses are varied in the context of my translations.

I cannot post in Italian without using a translation app and conversational Spanish is difficult for me now.

I am fluent in English, but I am missing nonverbal cues and body language needing for proper translation and conversation.

I tried but it seems far too difficult to converse only in text and follow topics without unexpected replies and responses to my writing.

I cannot follow the conversations! Have a nice day!

and another one of his posts...

Speculative investments are often high risk. They can reap high profits in short-term, long-term, both, or neither, The nature of it being "speculative" is that the investor is only speculating on its perceived future value based on purchase price. I bough the claim because I could afford the price of the particular one I bought. I would not speculate on expensive claims without more info. I speculated based on the price I paid that the potential profit would at least be more than I invested (30+ PPM Au). That is approximately one ounce per ton of gold or $1250.00 per 2200 pounds of rock.. I speculated that there is more tonage with that grade of ore than not. The Geologic Modelling and Engineers will determine its value before I buy any equipment. Thanks. Jon

Another post in the same thread.

Yes. That is Scenario #1. Scenario #2: The speculative investment is selling the LLC with the claim to the person who would mine it. After the Geologic Modelling and Engineers have completed their assessments (expensive), the value of the LLC with the claim are the profits upon sale. This does not involve any mining or casual use by me. The land would be untouched from its present state. It is the LLC itself and the included claim that would have the value of the total reserves in the entire claim. Capiche?

Notice the huge change in syntax?

I am not buying....staking. I am a beginner. I am also a Lieutenant General and a PhD.

Anyone believe this guy was a Lieutenant General AND has a PhD?

bullshitting.gif

Last edited:

winners58

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2013
Oregon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hay Jon just going from your LLC filing Black Butte Mining
if its the "Black Butte" mine from Scyros you might have been ripped off... probably not going to find much free gold
it would be locked up in the ore, best bet would be to have samples assayed then determine the best way to processes the ore.
Nevada Gold Silver Copper Mine Hard Rock Mining Claim - Adit + Connecting Shaft | eBay

I'd say you gotta lot work to do, hammers, picks, ore bags
be prepared, take lots of food & water its a long way from nowhere

Last edited:

Skunked68w

Jul 25, 2015
Denver, CO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So its a primary silver with byproduct gold, copper and lead mine if black butte mine is the right one. That's sounds like sulphide ore. Have fun. If you are lucky the top portion off the vein system MIGHT be in the oxidized zone. You will have have to check. Deeper in the mine I doubt you will have anything Free milling. And since you have no experience DONT GO DEEPER IN THE MINE. It's starting to look like mineral specimens might Be your only hope.

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This guy again. This is the resident Dr. General. He's stated he's a retired Lieutenant General with a PhD in herpetology that takes bus trips from Boston to Nevada for prospecting. Bus trips but can only come once a year.

Anyone believe this guy was a Lieutenant General AND has a PhD?

His original posts on this thread sound like a completely different person wrote them. (based on your quotes)

If he has a PhD in herpetology he will feel right at home in the NV desert, lots of rattlers.

OP
OP
J

jza01701

Jun 17, 2016
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Falcon MD20
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Stay Positive. LT GEN Jon Allyn. Pic.

Take a look and ignore the big mouths... I prefer to be thanked for my military service *******.

Attachments

• 20170430_060855.jpg
    20170430_060855.jpg
    135.6 KB · Views: 99
OP
OP
J

jza01701

Jun 17, 2016
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Falcon MD20
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
As far a syntax my friend; I am bilingual, a Lietenant General, a survivor of PTSD, mentall illness, drug dependency, and chronic homelessness. I may be queer, though I am not ignorant. Capiche?

OP
OP
J

jza01701

Jun 17, 2016
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Falcon MD20
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Let me guess... All the fags do not need gold for their rings because they are lying about being married in America....

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread