Camp Safety and Preparation

ThatOneGuy

Apr 25, 2017
Placerville, CA
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
This is a repost of a reply I wrote. I thought it may be a good reminder for any flatlanders. Stick to populated patrolled campgrounds unless you are prepared for the unexpected.

If you find a campground that isn't packed with families, couples and generally not intimidating folk - I recommend extreme caution. I'm born and raised El Dorado county, been camping for decades.
It is not uncommon to encounter bizarre situations if you find yourself in a remote area and display any potential weakness - particularly I have found that groups of men in remote camps have a tendency to get weird and even dangerous as night falls and booze and tweak go around.
Always be prepared to defend yourself and your camp - don't be paranoid but prepare with a firearm if you have one, and at least some kind of blade.
If you are isolated and just a couple camping with the dogs, move your camp if you find a rowdy or large group arrive nearby. At the minimum you will likely have a long night of irritating loud hooligans.

Over on the highway 50 side I've had confrontations with the rough redneck pickup truck of drunk or tweaked out wiredos - even a group of 2 encroaching on our typical camp of 4 men 2 women.

Even in the family campgrounds domestic altercations are not uncommon- when abusers or angry drunks get going at 1am they often don't calm easily- at least there you have Rangers to break it up. You don't want rednecks getting wasted and aggressive if you are isolated - pack and move if any potential rough group arrive.
I've seen weird camps be nice, come visit offer you a beer - they might be scoping your camp. I'm telling you, groups of nice people sometimes behave much different at late night - don't take the chance if you don't have the means to defend yourself.

Pay attention and listen to your gut if something doesn't seem quite right.

Upvote 0

Au dave

Aug 5, 2015
Eastern Victoria
Detector(s) used
Home made drop riffle, 'zook' mini prospector, 'zook' sniper
Primary Interest:
Other
Just a different world here ... if I was over there I'd always be wondering if the other guy is carrying... over here if it gets outta hand just grab a stick or a piece of 'clue by four' .... not much protection by your standards .. lol

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Tapatalk

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not trying to incite a riot ... but I don't understand how all you in the U.S. believe that you are friendly, caring and tolerant of/towards your fellow countryman/human when a great % of you feel the need to carry a weapon for protection. Yeah I understand some of your local wildlife can be a bit nasty but most times it will go the other way. In AU there are strict restrictions on how/where a firearm can be used and carried and to get a licence requires a 4 week course (run by the police) and extensive background/police record checks. Throughout the forty odd years I've been camping I have only had 1 occasion of trouble, which was sorted quickly without agro, and have found those times within campsites to be happy memorable trips. It strikes me that .."the right to bear arms" gives you the right to be paranoid. Dunno...maybe Aussies are a different 'species'. As I said ...not causing trouble .. just my opinion.

the population of your whole nation/continent is still 14 million people short of one of our states

Ca. has 38 million people. Australia is a helluva lot bigger than Ca.

your country takes in 75 k immigrants a year legally our country takes in one million.

My neighbor is a dual Aussie /us citizen he thinks your laws are crazy vs our Freedom

SchoolOfHardRocks

Apr 30, 2014
Gone, With the Wind
Primary Interest:
Other
Not trying to incite a riot ... but I don't understand how all you in the U.S. believe that you are friendly, caring and tolerant of/towards your fellow countryman/human when a great % of you feel the need to carry a weapon for protection. Yeah I understand some of your local wildlife can be a bit nasty but most times it will go the other way. In AU there are strict restrictions on how/where a firearm can be used and carried and to get a licence requires a 4 week course (run by the police) and extensive background/police record checks. Throughout the forty odd years I've been camping I have only had 1 occasion of trouble, which was sorted quickly without agro, and have found those times within campsites to be happy memorable trips. It strikes me that .."the right to bear arms" gives you the right to be paranoid. Dunno...maybe Aussies are a different 'species'. As I said ...not causing trouble .. just my opinion.

I agree with ya dave!

I think that some of it is due to fear mongering and the rest fear itself. However, i wasnt raised around a lot of guns and dont care much for em. I think that a heavy walk, making noise, and a german shepard will handle most situations just fine. But many have been raised using guns and may have a different perspective which is fine.

Thats what makes this country great to me. The constitution and the people give the nation its direction. Theres rights that the framers thought we should have, and the constition has done us pretty damn well so far. We just need to unite a whole lot better lol.

Au dave

Aug 5, 2015
Eastern Victoria
Detector(s) used
Home made drop riffle, 'zook' mini prospector, 'zook' sniper
Primary Interest:
Other
Same here ..not been bought up with guns but shot a few bunnies and roos and to each their own, here in Aust. sport shooters, farmers and hunters are the ones with the steel (plus cops and crims) ... just don't see the need of the general populace owning them.

Ragnor

Dec 7, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This year I'll be packing a Saiga 12 shotgun with 10 rnd mags. (AK 47 in 12 ga) Not too worried about the hooligans, but the wolves, coy wolves, and mama bear with young cubs are to be worried about. At least with a shotgun, a self defense claim is easier to defend if it goes to court, due to it's short range.

I loved my siaga, still ashamed of losing it to the pawn shop.

Ragnor

Dec 7, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Personally I never use public camp grounds for those reasons. I go out as far as I am able to and set up camp in the woods. There are stories here every year of gang banger types coming up to the campgrounds in our woods and starting trouble with the locals. Shots exchanged even a couple times each summer. It's absolute BS if you ask me. But not much you can do about it except avoid them. There is always going to be somebody out looking for trouble. As for me, I'm just an American :) Not looking for any trouble, but not gonna stand for any either. I saw a guy last weekend. He came out of the woods all camo'd up with a dog and a shotgun headed back to his camper. Seamed a little excessive to me. I just figured he must not be from around here. LOL There are some trouble makers here. Don't get me wrong. But most people are just folks. It's them city people you have to worry about, lol

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XLT, GMT, 6000D Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Taking care of ones-self out in the back country is that persons responsibility! I've been backpacking in California Wilderness, that's true wilderness, for over fifty years with the only trouble I've had out there has been with the animals, bears in particular! When my children were four years of age I began bringing them in with me, I stayed quite close to them though not paranoid about them being out there with me. Usually the rattle snakes were the main thought or concern.

In the late 70's the Bear population began to jump along with their attacks on my camps. I chose to come up with a non-lethal solution and started carrying in a steel cable that was used to keep my food Bear safe. This did not deter them from coming into my camp when I was gone and shredding my ground based articles. Then when they came in while I was there I used my revolver as a noise maker. I have no need to shoot any animal except to protect my life or some other persons life IF they will not leave after being warned, all have taken my suggestion to leave.

Some people just do not think safe out there, they leave food readily available, have sweet smelling chap stick & etc., these items Call to the animals and the animal only does what it has learned to do, go investigate. I try to think safe all the time as the conditions here are unique, heavily forested, lots of thick brush and ground plants and the like. Be safe where ever you are, best regards!.....................63bkpkr

spillercanyon

Jan 4, 2012
California
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I'm more afraid of the two legged animals than the four legged animals. I've never had to pull my gun on an animal but I've had someone come at me with a knife that needed a little incentive to back off. My job, as I see it, is to keep myself and my family safe, if carrying a couple extra pounds of fire power greatly increases my odds of protecting my family, I'll carry it. As far as public campgrounds, I use the state parks to visit the ocean and that's about it. My usual thought in camping is "If I can see or hear someone else, I'm too close".

Actionman

Dec 21, 2013
Central Oregon
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX3030, Minelab Excalbur 2
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Colt made every man and woman equal. Equality is a great thing!

wildminer

Dec 2, 2015
Jefferson Coast
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I would hope that the majority of Americans believe in our second amendment right to keep and and bear arms to protect ourselves from enemys both foreign and domestic as I do. Plain and simple!

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not trying to incite a riot ... but I don't understand how all you in the U.S. believe that you are friendly, caring and tolerant of/towards your fellow countryman/human when a great % of you feel the need to carry a weapon for protection. Yeah I understand some of your local wildlife can be a bit nasty but most times it will go the other way. In AU there are strict restrictions on how/where a firearm can be used and carried and to get a licsence requires a 4 week course (run by the police) and extensive background/police record checks. Throughout the forty odd years I've been camping I have only had 1 occasion of trouble, which was sorted quickly without agro, and have found those times within campsites to be happy memorable trips. It strikes me that .."the right to bear arms" gives you the right to be paranoid. Dunno...maybe Aussies are a different 'species'. As I said ...not causing trouble .. just my opinion.

"Not trying to incite a riot ... but I don't understand how all you in the U.S. believe that you are friendly, caring and tolerant of/towards your fellow countryman/human when a great % of you feel the need to carry a weapon for protection."

Those of us that know that about ourselves are not the problem. It is those that don't care about their fellow man or laws that are.

Crime by lawful gun owners is extremely low. The presence of a gun in your neighbors camp is not something you need to worry about unless that person has one for ill intended reasons.

If so a club won't do much for you.

Australia ranks higher for rape, assault ,burglary, auto theft. is ranked first for victims of crime at around 30% higher property crime.

all crimes that people in the US still have the right to defend themselves against.

Better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6

I don't feel bad about our hi gun crime stats as it is inflated by gangbangers and people who are raised wrong it's not the guns fault.

If I get close enough to have to fight someone with a stick they are gonna wish I just scared them off with a gun.

If Austrailia had 300 million people this would be a totally different conversation.

Last edited:

M.E.G.

Apr 25, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Where I'm normally prospecting has the ever increasing risk of running into a wolf pack. Although not having that encounter as of yet, an equaully concerning is wild boars, which I have come to close to for my comfort. And then there's the occasional cougar lurking in the trees and underbrush. Bears not so much concern. They seem to be more of a nuisance. Waiting for that opportunity for a camp raid when you are out and about.

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
here's one thing I promise

If I am camped near people like in a pay site.

Maybe your retired grandparents, brother's wife and kin, Your 21 year old and her 24 year old boyfriend you can't stand because he has a limp handshake are visiting Yosemite for spring break.

Me being next to them in camp with a gun does not increase their chance of being a victim. Maybe they can take care of them selves.

Someone else group of losers too much beer who knows? They see someone to mess with they don't need guns to do a lot of harm.

And if anyone.... AND IT DOES HAPPEN tries to assault them in anyway. I will do whatever I can to come to their aid. Not to be a hero or badass but, because it is right. I feel my duty if there is no other help.

Paranoia and fear have nothing to do with it.

There are a lot of times where might is right. When your separated from guaranteed allies and you have a wife and kids with you, you bet your ass I'm gonna have whatever force multiplier I need. I'm not expecting everyone I meet to want to give me a hug. Regardless of how I live.

Last edited:

Johnnybravo300

Bronze Member
Jan 3, 2016
South of Gunnison, Gold Basin
Detector(s) used
F2
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
America is just America. That's why we have freedom and others around the world still bow to their kings and queens and beg for a merciful constitution while ours was written by free men after defeating the super power of the world.
There are many differences but those are what separates us from the world. There's alot of difference between a truly free people and subjects.
Our military also swears to uphold our fine Constitution and they fight for that ideal. Subjects fight because the royalty tells them to. It doesn't surprise me to hear others question our relationship with protection since they believe the police exist to protect them.
It's part of our history to not trust government or their intentions.
Australia's guns were confiscated by force. They even killed the original crocodile Dundee in doing so since he wasn't willingly handing them over. Instead of protection from the police he was shot to death. Good job.

'merica.

Last edited:

Johnnybravo300

Bronze Member
Jan 3, 2016
South of Gunnison, Gold Basin
Detector(s) used
F2
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Not to talk crap of course. There are many fine people from overseas and we have South Africans married into our family, so not meant that way. Just stating the obvious differences for maybe a better understanding of our culture.

utah mason

Jul 10, 2015
utah
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Not only does our military uphold our constitution and rights of our people. They sacrifice their life for the the rights and protection of people all over the world.
To all you military members out there.
THANK YOU FOR YOUR SERVICE AND SACRIFICE!

Duckshot

Silver Member
Sep 8, 2014
trapped on the earthly plane of causation
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

The thing is if you don't have the means to defend yourself then you are dependent on those that do have the means to defend both themselves and you- should they be willing to defend you. Maybe they will rob you instead. :icon_thumright:

SaltwaterServr

Mar 20, 2015
Texas
Primary Interest:
Other
"Not trying to incite a riot ... but I don't understand how all you in the U.S. believe that you are friendly, caring and tolerant of/towards your fellow countryman/human when a great % of you feel the need to carry a weapon for protection."

Those of us that know that about ourselves are not the problem. It is those that don't care about their fellow man or laws that are.

Crime by lawful gun owners is extremely low. The presence of a gun in your neighbors camp is not something you need to worry about unless that person has one for ill intended reasons.

If so a club won't do much for you.

Australia ranks higher for rape, assault ,burglary, auto theft. is ranked first for victims of crime at around 30% higher property crime.

all crimes that people in the US still have the right to defend themselves against.

Better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6

I don't feel bad about our hi gun crime stats as it is inflated by gangbangers and people who are raised wrong it's not the guns fault.

If I get close enough to have to fight someone with a stick they are gonna wish I just scared them off with a gun.

If Austrailia had 300 million people this would be a totally different conversation.

As David Hackworth said, "If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly."

Or, more to the point, "If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck." John Steinbeck.

It's for those very reasons I don't carry a wheel gun. Glock Model 40 10mm with two extra mags loaded giving me 45 shots, plus 15 more hidden on my ATV.

If we go close to the border my explorin' partner Dan brings his AR-10, and I bring my Barrett M82A1. I'll be damned if I'm outgunned by hostile drug runners.
20161220_213232.jpg

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions