What are these holes?

Crashcrew

Apr 24, 2017
Hesperus, Colorado
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Alright, so I just moved to the Durango, Colorado area on a very large ranch. I know this area has a history of mining gold in the late 1800's and early 1900's. In fact there was an active mine upstream about 2 miles, it's been shut down now for about 10 years. I keep finding these depressions or holes about 5 feet across and three to four feet deep. In one of my pictures it shows how the vegetation has almost taken over and the other picture is another hole about 30 yards away. What the heck are these things and should I try digging there? I'm just trying to learn what all of these things are and if I should go digging. I also have another picture of where the old timers hand panned the river and left their piles of rock on the river. IMG_4548.JPG IMG_4546.JPG IMG_4548.JPG IMG_4546.JPG

Upvote 0

Skunked68w

Jul 25, 2015
Denver, CO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's why I hate random holes. Could be anything but with the history in your area probably test holes. Worst case scenario old outhouse cesspools

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Test holes. No gold so they moved on...

OP
OP
C

Crashcrew

Apr 24, 2017
Hesperus, Colorado
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey, you might be onto something. I'm gonna go jump on it tomorrow with hopes of getting to bedrock fast!

UncleMatt

Bronze Member
Jul 14, 2012
Albuqerque, NM / Durango, CO
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium & Gold Bug II, Bazooka Super Prospector Sluice
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It would be interesting to know how much overburden is laying on the bedrock there. And also if these holes reached bedrock.

AllenJ

Mar 7, 2018
Northern CA
Detector(s) used
White's TDI SL, Minelab GPX5000 & GM1000, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Durango is such a beautiful area, congrats on getting to live there. If you're looking for the best hamburger in town I suggest you try Steamworks! As for your holes honestly they could be from a lot of different things. The area has been extensively mined but that does not mean they got it all. If it were me I would research how they mined, what size of gold they were getting and then plan accordingly. Lots of areas here in Northern CA that have been mined multiple times over the years and yet I can crevice in the area and still find some gold. Good luck to you.

Edit: Did not check the original post date, sorry.

Last edited:

IMAUDIGGER

Silver Member
Mar 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Test holes. No gold so they moved on...

There are many reasons a miner might dig test holes and not extensively mine the area despite there being good gold present. It’s not necessarily that they were trying to find gold, rather find the best gold.

I have found nuggets in the spoils of most of the test holes on my property. It’s almost like they were just proving the extents of the placer deposit. Don’t assume the ground is barren just because someone else dug a small hole and moved on. Some of the best discoveries were found in holes that someone abandoned.

The claims around my area were very small, like 50’x50’
or smaller. You could only hold the claim you were actively working. If you went 2 weeks without showing labor, it was open to claim by someone else.

Many miners paid people to work their claim so as to hold it for them.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread