WOO HOO! Just Ordered My New Gold Hog Stream Sluice

flinthunter

Jan 3, 2011
Illinois
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, V3i, DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just a few minutes ago I ordered my new Gold Hog stream sluice and the new motherlode mats. I am putting the mats in a little 10 by 36 inch Keene sluice. Most of our gold here in Central Illinois is very fine flour so I plan on using the Keene as an extension to hopefully help catch any of the super fines that might blow out of the main sluice. Also I heard that the motherlode mats catch a lot of garnets and garnets are one of my wifes favorite things (even more than gold) to pull out of her pans, and if the wife is happy, then I am even happier. I can't wait to get out and play with my new toys. After several years of just mostly panning I get to start playing with the big boy toys.

Upvote 0

bcfromfl

Feb 18, 2016
Youngstown, FL
Detector(s) used
GPX 4500,
Fisher Gold Bug Pro,
Gold Hog stream sluice
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How are you planning on integrating the motherlode mats into the other mats? Is that what the Keene extension is for?

Doc has done a considerable amount of testing, and it's virtually impossible to blow any significant fines out the end -- even in fast water. Just don't overwhelm the sluice with too much material at once. (Doc uses the term, "incremental processing.") If garnets are really important, however, you may want to consider using the low-flow mat, as their specific gravity may not be high enough to capture under high flow conditions using the other mat. You won't be able to process quite as much with it tuned for low flow, but you'll save the garnets.

OP
OP
F

flinthunter

Jan 3, 2011
Illinois
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, V3i, DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How are you planning on integrating the motherlode mats into the other mats? Is that what the Keene extension is for?

Doc has done a considerable amount of testing, and it's virtually impossible to blow any significant fines out the end -- even in fast water. Just don't overwhelm the sluice with too much material at once. (Doc uses the term, "incremental processing.") If garnets are really important, however, you may want to consider using the low-flow mat, as their specific gravity may not be high enough to capture under high flow conditions using the other mat. You won't be able to process quite as much with it tuned for low flow, but you'll save the garnets.

Thanks for the good advice. I'm not worried about the larger 100 to 150 mesh gold blowing out as much as the -200 mesh gold which we have a lot of here. I've watched all of Docs videos and feel fairly confident in my ability to control the larger gold, the motherlode mats are just an added toy to play with and see if I can capture some super fines. I won't know until I try a few different things. This is all a learning experience. If I don't need the Keene sluice with the motherlode mats, I'm sure my wife will enjoy using it. :>)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions