20170509_142416.jpg 20170509_142422.jpg

Sent from my SM-N910V using TreasureNet.com mobile app

Upvote 0

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
Must have been a coal fired boiler! So then, gold found in coal deposits?

Skunked68w

Jul 25, 2015
Denver, CO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Did the gold come from the coal or did someone loose a piece of jewelry while feeding or maintaining the boiler? Because I bet a gold chain that went through a furnace would look about like that

No gold in NY

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2015
Detector(s) used
Whites Coin Master,
Whites Gold Master GMT, Whites MXSport
High banker/dredge,
DIY hand trommel,
DIY Miller table,
DIY fluidbed gold trap sluice,
Keene A-52 A-52s
2186 Wheaties
Primary Interest:
Other
Must have been a coal fired boiler! So then, gold found in coal deposits?

If so, it must have gone in as one chunk. Don't seem it would accumulate over time.

winners58

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2013
Oregon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
have it checked with an XRF scanner if its 10k, 14k you'll know if it was once jewelry

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Recovery boilers used in paper plants have a max temperature of 1,300 degrees Fahrenheit in the black liquor burn chamber. Gold begins melting above 1,900 degrees Farenheit so it's very unlikely to be gold. Brazing rod is the likely source as it begins melting above 850 degrees Fahrenheit.

Try a streak test on a piece of unglazed ceramic like the bottom of your toilet lid. Anything but a true gold colored streak is not gold.

Heavy Pans

Last edited:

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had a friend we lived in Portland Or. He worked at a place called Bullseye glass. They made art glass raw materials. Colored rod, broken "frack" etc.

The colors come from minerals. If I remember correctly gold is green , blue silver. Been a while I'm not googling it.

So they had a few broken crucibles ...I don't know the trade name for the two or so tonnish looking stoneware ceramic whatever pot they melted glass in.

Well one ore two of them were split and theres a glass layer and another older more absorbed metamorphic layer.

And all these mini gold intrusions. Little veins. I would stop and look every time I walked down to visit my buddy and watch them blow big glass bubbles and break them. Cool fricken job.

I asked about it and thats how I found out the colored glass info. Once I knew it was gold for sure I stared even longer. I wanted a chunk "piece of ore" from it pretty bad lol.

Total thread jack but made me think of that.

Streak test it is.

If it is gold then may the legend grow :headbang:

chlsbrns

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2013
Detector(s) used
Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
Other
The 1050c (1922f) temperature generated by the boiler is enough to melt gold and other heavy metals that are found in wood. If you do not have a gold acid test kit take it to a pawn shop of jeweler to have it tested.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20170510-095610.png
    Screenshot_20170510-095610.png
    213.6 KB · Views: 110
  • Screenshot_20170510-095635.png
    Screenshot_20170510-095635.png
    261 KB · Views: 100
Last edited:
OP
OP
S

smitty4687

Apr 24, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey took it by a shop yesterday they tested it and said it was 10k . Must have been some jewelry thank you for the help. sorry could get other specifications on it I was at the fire station and didn't have a scale.

Sent from my SM-N910V using TreasureNet.com mobile app

Tpmetal

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2017
Western ny
Detector(s) used
equinox 800, Whites mx sport, Garrot carrot, bounty hunter time ranger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had a friend we lived in Portland Or. He worked at a place called Bullseye glass. They made art glass raw materials. Colored rod, broken "frack" etc.

The colors come from minerals. If I remember correctly gold is green , blue silver. Been a while I'm not googling it.

So they had a few broken crucibles ...I don't know the trade name for the two or so tonnish looking stoneware ceramic whatever pot they melted glass in.

Well one ore two of them were split and theres a glass layer and another older more absorbed metamorphic layer.

And all these mini gold intrusions. Little veins. I would stop and look every time I walked down to visit my buddy and watch them blow big glass bubbles and break them. Cool fricken job.

I asked about it and thats how I found out the colored glass info. Once I knew it was gold for sure I stared even longer. I wanted a chunk "piece of ore" from it pretty bad lol.

Total thread jack but made me think of that.

Streak test it is.

If it is gold then may the legend grow :headbang:

I work in the glass community and have heard about this type of stuff as well. Always thought it was pretty neat, almost like instant geological formations.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread