Buying a dredge

ProspectorALEX

Apr 14, 2013
Clam Gulch, AK
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT E-series
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hello! So my dad and I are (hopefully) going to get a dredge. I have found someone who has agreed to sell us his used 5" Keene dredge for $1500. It has a Honda engine, all of the hoses and tubes needed to use it, and an air compressor. how can you tell if the pump works without taking it to a creek or river? I would also need to buy a wetsuit and mask because of the cold water. Thanks

Upvote 0

Bonaro

Aug 9, 2004
Olympia WA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 70, Minelab SD 2200d, 2.5", 3", 4"and several Keene 5" production dredges, Knelson Centrifuge, Gold screw automatic panner
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Nice old triple sluice sitting on a newer frame and floats. It has a newer compressor. It will do a great job on the fine gold

OP
OP
ProspectorALEX

ProspectorALEX

Apr 14, 2013
Clam Gulch, AK
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT E-series
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
So, I'm wondering if anyone has a claim around Fairbanks/Central/Coldfoot they would be willing to let my dad and I mine on for a percentage of the gold? I'm having a little trouble finding creeks that are deep enough to allow a dredge. Thanks

mendoAu

Apr 23, 2014
SW Oregon
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I was a bit alusive about the "depth" thing. Check out the rules in your particular creek and see if they allow a percentage of the creek to be "dammed". A couple of steel concrete stakes/or re-bar and some visqueen makes for a fair amount of depth. In some situations as long as fish have a passage damming is allowed. Of course now that I've mentioned this on a forum the senate of the State of Oregon can come up with a new bill...on the other hand it can't be any worse than it is now.....
I got a feelin' that I'm a bit older than you (way older) and I manage my 5inch just fine by myself. As the years went bye I have acquired cable, come-alongs, even old indoor/outdoor carpet to bungee under the pontoons when I'm hauling it over rocks and bedrock. Ya can get almost anywhere if you sit and ponder it. And dredging the easy spots in my opinion is just for practice...HA!

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was a bit alusive about the "depth" thing. Check out the rules in your particular creek and see if they allow a percentage of the creek to be "dammed". A couple of steel concrete stakes/or re-bar and some visqueen makes for a fair amount of depth. In some situations as long as fish have a passage damming is allowed. Of course now that I've mentioned this on a forum the senate of the State of Oregon can come up with a new bill...on the other hand it can't be any worse than it is now.....
I got a feelin' that I'm a bit older than you (way older) and I manage my 5inch just fine by myself. As the years went bye I have acquired cable, come-alongs, even old indoor/outdoor carpet to bungee under the pontoons when I'm hauling it over rocks and bedrock. Ya can get almost anywhere if you sit and ponder it. And dredging the easy spots in my opinion is just for practice...HA!

i think he just means deep enough for the dredge to be in the water and float..not a regulation.

OP
OP
ProspectorALEX

ProspectorALEX

Apr 14, 2013
Clam Gulch, AK
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT E-series
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
hello again. so... the guy took the motor in for work and hasn't gotten back to us. my dad called him a few days ago and it turns out he blocked his phone so now we cant call him.:angry9

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread