Severe Forest Circus Budget Cutbacks!

bedrock bubba

Jun 27, 2010
This could have a detrimental effect on all recreational folks!

WASHINGTON The roads to the national forests could get bumpier. Literally.

Trails could get messier. Maintenance on bridges, dams and recreation sites could become tougher.

That’s the potential fate of national forest projects, thanks to President Donald Trump’s proposed budget for fiscal 2018, which begins Oct. 1.

While the overall federal budget has plenty of cuts in agency after agency, the forest service plan has more drama, because the White House is seeking about $100 million in funding for capital improvement and maintenance, down from $363 million this year.

That’s a 73 percent cut, and could have a huge impact on recreation, according to Rebecca Turner, senior director of programs and policy for American Forests, a nonprofit conservation organization.

Turner said roads are used to access the trails leading to “majestic overlooks,” as well as lakes and rivers inside the forests. She said the budget cuts would also lead to camp sites and facilities not being maintained.

Turner said if the forest service is unable to maintain safe roads, boat launches and campgrounds, they’re likely to simply close.

Continued:

http://www.sacbee.com/news/politics-...156632139.html

Upvote 0

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I read the whole article and found this:
“How do we sustain the $10 billion generated by visitors to our national forests and the 143,000 jobs they create if we don’t have roads to access the forest, or safe and accessible facilities or hiking trails for visitors to use once they are there,” Sen. Tom Udall, D-N.M. said at a Senate hearing recently on the forest service budget."
Now I'm no genius but with a work force of 143,000 I think I could get every road and campsite pristeen however perhaps it might be hard for most of them to learn how to use a shovel properly. HA!

These cuts will mean many of those 143K jobs will be eliminated.

diverrick

Jan 18, 2011
Vacaville, CA
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Minelab Eureka gold
Primary Interest:
Other
Less money for obliterating existing trails.
exctly what I was thinking. I offered to bring my tractor up to repair a road to a club claim, which is in bad shape due to negligence on the Forest Circus. But the club told me we are not allowed to do that Forest Circus will fine us. But they are not fixing it either. I felt it was just another way to keep us out of the forests. The whole thing has gotten out of control. Why not lay some people off close some offices and use the money for fixing the roads? How about letting volunteers like me do some work. The Forest Circus are control freaks and this cut will hopefully stop the gating of roads as well as putting big rocks and trees across the trail I wish they'd put them on fire control only, and they don't even do that well. I can think of another good place to put those big rocks. I remember as a child, that I had great respect for the Forest Rangers. Not any more. They are enemies of the whole country as far as I am concerned.

Last edited:

Seabees

Jan 3, 2014
The Golden State
Detector(s) used
-Whites & Minelab-
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lol. I love all of the SME's on this topic. Why don't you all just run for office and solve all of our problems. Well why are you still just standing there. Oh I almost for got for those of us that are less intelligent SME= subject matter expert

diverrick

Jan 18, 2011
Vacaville, CA
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Minelab Eureka gold
Primary Interest:
Other
I can just see forest fires raging out of control, and the roads impassable be cause of no maintenance! I don't like them any more than you do, but they are the gatekeepers to our riches, and this cannot be a good thing!
They most certainly do not not look out for our interests and last time I looked I saw no road repairs being done by them. They just keep sucking up the money and doing nothing for it, other than installing gates to make their life easier. Hopefully in the future they can actually get money based on real contractor bids. And not ream us all by supposedly doing it all themselves, and BTW they do not do it by them selves anyhow. They just rape the public. Good on Trump for stopping or at least arresting/slowing this horrid waste of OUR federal monies. They are out of control. No doubt about it.

Last edited:

Golden_Crab

Mar 28, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
These cuts will mean many of those 143K jobs will be eliminated.

Perhaps they can find work on a ranch or mine or logging operation.. oh wait.. :laughing7:

In all seriousness though there's plenty of work to be found we know it wont be the end of the world for them and those jobs should have never been created in the first place. You can't honestly believe of the 143k all 143k can be deemed consequential employees with moderate efficiency? So far as I've witnessed all the forest service is good for is charging you to park in the woods and stifling rural economics with anti-recreational regulations & undue harassment.

Last edited:

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Perhaps they can find work on a ranch or mine or logging operation.. oh wait.. :laughing7:

In all seriousness though there's plenty of work to be found we know it wont be the end of the world for them and those jobs should have never been created in the first place. You can't honestly believe of the 143k all 143k can be deemed consequential employees with moderate efficiency? So far as I've witnessed all the forest service is good for is charging you to park in the woods and stifling rural economics with anti-recreational regulations & undue harassment.

You'll notice I made no assertion about good or bad. I do want us to acknowledge the human impact of these actions.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread