Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree110Likes

Thread: Large Black gold nugget found -- do I clean it?

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    Randy

Feb 2015
    Fullerton CA
    Minelab CTX 3030
    3601 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Shine that thing up, its yours. You will kill 2 x s its value but its yours. Do what you want. I cant stick around for the carnage Im out
    mytimetoshine likes this.
    Anything That Comes Out of The Dirt Is Awesome!

Best find 1941 Patek Philippe 2 register flat pusher Chronograph Bought 1,000 Sold 62,000 !!
    First Year 911 Porsche Purchased 36K SOLD 140K!!! Whoo Hoo

us
    Jun 2008
    Lake Country WI.
    MineLab/ Excalibur&Exterra705/ Gold Bug
    207 times
    Volcanic Gold! I ran across your U-Tube video and I have found several Black Gold Nuggets. So black you could not see any yellow at all. Tried the rub on my jeans with nothing. Rub on the curb in parking lot reviled yellow. Found that cleaning the most recent one in muriatic acid worked the best. Here is a link to my best finds. Wisconsin Nugget I don't bother with a sluice box any more my back wont tolerate a shovel any more.

us
    Aug 2004
    Olympia WA
    Minelab Xterra 70, Minelab SD 2200d, 2.5", 3", 4"and several Keene 5" production dredges, Knelson Centrifuge, Gold screw automatic panner
    1534 times
    Prospecting
    I would like to see a pic of it when its all cleaned up..

If you want a more aggressive tumbling action....get a step ladder and go up to your gutter. Collect a cup of the gravel that washes off your shingles. This gravel is actually sharp edged crushed ceramic. Using it for a tumbling medium is very good at cleaning dirty objects and the sharp edges tend to get deeper into the cracks and crevices.
    Reed Lukens likes this.

us
    Aug 2004
    Olympia WA
    Minelab Xterra 70, Minelab SD 2200d, 2.5", 3", 4"and several Keene 5" production dredges, Knelson Centrifuge, Gold screw automatic panner
    1534 times
    Prospecting
    Quote Originally Posted by trdking View Post
    Shine that thing up, its yours. You will kill 2 x s its value but its yours. Do what you want. I cant stick around for the carnage Im out
    You are right, it's his...He could melt it down if he wants.

Charter Member
    us
    Look at the Historical Gold Mining photo albums on my page

Jan 2013
    Huntington, Or./ Stanton, AZ/ former Outlaw California Gold Dredger
    Tesoro Vaquero, Whites MXT, Vsat, GMT, 5900Di Pro, Minelab GPX 5000, GPXtreme, 2200SD, Excalibur 1000!
    3541 times
    Nice nugget, older post... Time for a new pic
    I just carried one in my pocket for years until the price of gold went way up... That way it's right there being shined all the time and you can pull it out and toss it in a pan anytime to get the OMG from people around you. It's a lot of fun to see their faces light up
    Name:  asset (1).jpg
Views: 179
Size:  13.6 KB

us
    May 2009
    Sailor Flat, Ca.
    Gold Bug Pro, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil,
    9939 times
    Banner Finds (1)
    It's not worth 2x spot automatically..shining it up some isn't bad. Giving it some shine with dark recess makes it pop and gives it character.

for the right buyer you may still get double spot.

the final buyer doesn't know what it looks like when it comes out of the ground .

Cleaning up a piece doesn't mean it loses value.

us
    Jun 2017
    Virginia
    Nokta AU Goldfinder
    177 times
    Prospecting
    I attached apicture of the nugget post tumbling. Double Click the picture to a high resolution image. Note the pits and crevices still have black manganese oxide on it to give it a nice texture. I know some will still cringe at the thought of me cleaning it... but I am happy with the results!
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Nugget Edit 1.jpg 
Views:	91 
Size:	1.77 MB 
ID:	1535476

It has been awhile, but I found out a LOT about this nugget over the last few months. I had it analyzed with a $20,000 XRF machine. It is nearly 6% Silver, 93% gold. The silver is why the color is slightly 'dull' appearing in some of the photos (And maybe why it was caked in manganese oxide??). I had a few 'old timers' from the area take a look at it. Each one felt that this nugget looks like nothing like the typical nugget found on this claim (Which tends to be very rough, 23++ karats, rarely any silver in it). Our best guess is that I found a piece of gold that the 'old timers' from pre 1849 were attempting to refine by inquarting with silver... then accidentally 'dropped it', not to be seen again until I dug it out. AT first I was disappointed, but they reminded me that is is probably the rarest type of find -- none of them have ever heard of this before in this area. A few noted they had found evidence of 'slag' in the area showing they were actively trying to refine the gold. So I think I found a piece of history, not just the run of the mill nugget !

And no, I'm not going to melt it down!! =)

Quote Originally Posted by Bonaro View Post
    I would like to see a pic of it when its all cleaned up..

If you want a more aggressive tumbling action....get a step ladder and go up to your gutter. Collect a cup of the gravel that washes off your shingles. This gravel is actually sharp edged crushed ceramic. Using it for a tumbling medium is very good at cleaning dirty objects and the sharp edges tend to get deeper into the cracks and crevices.
    Last edited by AU79 Prospector; Jan 10, 2018 at 10:35 AM.
    Reed Lukens, JOe L, RTR and 2 others like this.

us
    May 2009
    Sailor Flat, Ca.
    Gold Bug Pro, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil,
    9939 times
    Banner Finds (1)
    and you didn't affect the value either.

I would expect a higher silver content on the surface that's how it works. Silver on the surface leaching out from nature and forming a layer. Silver oxidizes black so it may not have been manganese oxide.

I don't think the old timers were doing much inquarting. They knew how to refine gold and that's not really the way you refine nuggets or fine gold. Not much of a reason to.

They also were very unlikely at that point to have other bases metals in the field to refine with. Especially pre- Comstock era.
    Last edited by Goldwasher; Jan 11, 2018 at 11:09 PM.

us
    beachcomber, treasure hunter, fisherman

Jun 2016
    FL keys
    Mine lab primary fisher secondary
    5572 times
    Banner Finds (1)
    Quote Originally Posted by AU79 Prospector View Post
    I am trying to attach the picture of the nugget post tumbling. Click the picture to a high resolution image. Note the pits and crevices still have black manganese oxide on it to give it a nice texture. I know some will still cringe at cleaning it... but I am happy with the results!
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Nugget Edit 1.jpg 
Views:	91 
Size:	1.77 MB 
ID:	1535476

It has been awhile, but I found out a LOT about this nugget over the last few months. I had it analyzed with a $20,000 XRF machine. It is nearly 6% Silver, 93% gold. The silver is why the color is slightly 'dull' appearing in some of the photos (And maybe why it was caked in manganese oxide??). I had a few 'old timers' from the area take a look at it. Each one felt that this nugget looks like nothing like the typical nugget found on this claim (Which tends to be very rough, 23++ karats, rarely any silver in it). Our best guess is that I found a piece of gold that the 'old timers' from pre 1849 were attempting to refine by inquarting with silver... then accidentally 'dropped it', not to be seen again until I dug it out. AT first I was disappointed, but they reminded me that is is probably the rarest type of find -- none of them have ever heard of this before in this area. A few noted they had found evidence of 'slag' in the area showing they were actively trying to refine the gold. So I think I found a piece of history, not just the run of the mill nugget !

And no, I'm not going to melt it down!! =)
    Totally bad A$$. On high res (click twice) it looks like an asteroid or somthing. Beautiful.

us
    Jun 2017
    Virginia
    Nokta AU Goldfinder
    177 times
    Prospecting
    Quote Originally Posted by Goldwasher View Post
    and you didn't affect the value either.

I would expect a higher silver content on the surface that's how it works. Silver on the surface leaching out from nature and forming a layer. Silver oxidizes black so it may not have been manganese oxide.

I don't think the old timers were doing much inquarting. They knew how to refine gold and that's not really the way you refine nuggets or fine gold. Not much of a reason too.

They also were very unlikely at that point to have other bases metals in the field to refine with. Especially pre- Comstock era.

I guess I will never know for sure Goldwasher... but a close geology friend of mine (who knows Virginia inside and out) feels its not natural and a man made ingot of some sort... with silver added... but it was done in a non standard way so its very confusing. In the end it's all speculation - but to me a good story that goes along with a nugget makes it that much more intriguing! I really appreciate your thoughts in this thread - you are clearly a seasoned vet who knows his stuff!
    Reed Lukens and Goldwasher like this.

ca
    Mar 2010
    Vancouver Island
    Fisher Goldbug II
    30 times
    Gold prospecting, Artifact hunting, Rockhound
    Hey AU79! I didnt know you were on this site. I loved that black nugget video hah great job. Anyways, ill keep my eye open for more of ypurs posts here for now on. Cheers!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Remove Ads

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links