Southwest Oregon

Old Pueblo

Bronze Member
Mar 7, 2017
Arizona
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not really. Where I live in Arizona, its illegal to take anything off the ground that is 50 years of age or older. Even picking up an old beer can from the 1950s would be illegal. Basically, the only place any of that stuff is legal is on private property with the owners permission.

arizau

Bronze Member
May 2, 2014
AZ
Detector(s) used
Beach High Banker, Sweep Jig, Whippet Dry Washer, Lobo ST, 1/2 width 2 tray Gold Cube, numerous pans, rocker box, and home made fluid bed and stream sluices.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
There are many areas in SW Oregon where it is legal to pan, sluice, highbank and metal detect for gold. Make yourself familiar with the following site to see existing gold claims in Oregon. Welcome to Land Matters. That will, at the least, let you know areas to prospect near to so long as you do not trespass on private land or existing claims and are on BLM or National Forest land. Those lands may have some restrictions in certain areas so do some research to keep yourself out of trouble. Local prospecting clubs will know of these rules and areas so it might be helpful to join one.

Good luck.

PS If you are near Grants Pass stop in at the prospecting supply store there...Armadillo Mining. They are very knowledgeable and helpful.:icon_thumleft:

Last edited:

winners58

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2013
Oregon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
areas that are open to recreational gold mining on public lands.
Little Applegate, Tunnel Ridge recreation area's, & Gold Nugget wayside.
26 miles of the rogue from applegate and up river is a navigable river so any where that is not private property
the Rogue River is a Wild & Scenic river from the Applegate River to Lobster creek, including tributaries ¼ of a mile up
the wild section is the only section that is hands and pans through the hellgate section

recreational gold mining sites; https://www.blm.gov/or/districts/medford/files/goldbrochure.pdf

Float Guide, has maps; https://www.blm.gov/or/resources/recreation/rogue/files/FloatGuide04.pdf

Bejay

Bronze Member
Mar 10, 2014
Central Oregon Coast
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT
Garret fully underwater
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Sixes River up off of HWY 101 has a BLM Campground located right on top if an old Placer Town location. Gold is always available but recent rules make it difficult to get it. No dredging. No motors, such as gas vacs.....although 40 years ago I would run a generator in the campground and run an extension cord to a shop vac and vacuum up the above waterline crevices. Then I would run that material through a sluice I had set up in the creek. Not sure if they categorize that as motorized placer mining. I know people camp and use generators within 100 yds of the Sixes River....as many campsites are located in close proximity. Now; the rules don't allow one to dig into the riverbank by hand. Kind of limits the ability to get gold when one can't do much. But if you should go to the Sixes River, there is a skid trail with a cable across it below the entrance to the campground. That trail takes you all the way down to the bottom of the BLM land and out of the everyday hit area. That is the best place to go for some really good gold.

Also:
Cow Creek above (west out of) Riddle and also further up between Riddle and Glendale.

Bejay

Last edited:
OP
OP
R

RattlingDan

May 30, 2017
Oregon
Detector(s) used
Silver Sabre, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks to those who have replied.

johnedoe

Bronze Member
Jan 15, 2012
Oregon Coast
Detector(s) used
White's V3i, White's MXT, and White's Eagle Spectrum
Cleangold sluice & prospectors pan, EZ-Gold Pan, and custom cleanup sluice.
Primary Interest:
Other
Good luck out there. and be careful.....:thumbsup:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread