Prospecting geological clues, tips tricks, signs and anything else.

MrGneissGuy

May 30, 2017
Los Angeles
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hey guys I've been wanting to start a thread where beginners like me can learn from experts like you. My hope is to have a thread where everyone can openly discuss things they look for when prospecting for gold. For example, someone might add (look for red coloring - this indicates oxidation) and any explanation about why it's important for finding gold. Other examples would be certain types of rocks and minerals, colors, shapes, faults and anything like that that you look for when prospecting. It would also be nice if you would include details of your location, obviously nothing too specific. I just mean "Northern California" or whatever you feel like including for reference.

What would be the perfect combination of geological signs indicating nearby presence of gold, besides finding gold...? Would it be granite, quartz, and red stuff nearby or what?

Upvote 0

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
"Doc" Lousignont, a certified and trained Minelab dealer from the United States, instructs a group of Sudanese prospectors. He covers the theory of quartz and granite contact zones, and their importance in prospecting for new placer deposits. His instruction is translated into Arabic by his colleague Esam Abdel Gadir.

An Introduction to Geology

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Here is my tip.... Fists Full Of Gold, by Chris Ralph. He has put together, in one book, pretty much all you need to know about the geology of gold. ╦╦Ç

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread