Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree48Likes

Thread: Help understanding BLM Patchwork of managed land.

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    Hardrock prospector

May 2017
    Middle Oregon
    Whites, Fisher, Garrett, and Falcon.
    114 times
    Prospecting
    Quote Originally Posted by Bejay View Post
    To my understanding of this issue:

The issue pertains to "Public Right of Way" vs "Easements". If public money went into any part of the "Access Rd" then the Public has a right to the access of the 'Public Land" upon which the road passes.

The private land owners may have the right to gate and lock the entry to protect their private property and holdings, but they can not deny the public from entry and would be required to unlock the gate.

Bejay
    Have you come across "Notices" to this effect that have been used?
    Thank you.

us
    Brian

Mar 2014
    Central Oregon Coast
    Whites GMT Garret fully underwater
    1414 times
    Prospecting
    Just something my USFS JS18 Road Engineer neighbor told me many years ago. A particular road that passes by a couple of my placer claims actually has a BLM locked gate that accesses both private timber holdings land; but had Federal money go into building a bridge far beyond the gate. I have access as well as the private timber company. When the timber company locks the gate they have been told by BLM that my access must be allowed. BLM locks the gate to protect spawning salmon, but will allow me access when requested by me. The result was based on my query into federal funds going into part of the road. Joint road building efforts often occur between private and gov entities.

Bejay

us
    Jan 2012
    California
    316 times
    Prospecting
    What a great nugget you threw at me there Bejay. Kudos!

To my understanding of this issue:

The issue pertains to "Public Right of Way" vs "Easements". If public money went into any part of the "Access Rd" then the Public has a right to the access of the 'Public Land" upon which the road passes.

The private land owners may have the right to gate and lock the entry to protect their private property and holdings, but they can not deny the public from entry and would be required to unlock the gate.

Bejay
    Clay Diggins and Assembler like this.

us
    Hardrock prospector

May 2017
    Middle Oregon
    114 times
    Prospecting
    Just something my USFS JS18 Road Engineer neighbor told me many years ago. A particular road that passes by a couple of my placer claims actually has a BLM locked gate that accesses both private timber holdings land; but had Federal money go into building a bridge far beyond the gate. I have access as well as the private timber company. When the timber company locks the gate they have been told by BLM that my access must be allowed. BLM locks the gate to protect spawning salmon, but will allow me access when requested by me. The result was based on my query into federal funds going into part of the road. Joint road building efforts often occur between private and gov entities.

Bejay
    Good to know there are both roads like this and sharing USFS JS18 road Engineers out there to ask and talk with. Gives another option for people. Thanks for sharing Bejay.

us
    Hardrock prospector

May 2017
    Middle Oregon
    114 times
    Prospecting
    Quote Originally Posted by Assembler View Post
    Good to know there are both roads like this and sharing USFS JS18 road Engineers out there to ask and talk with. Gives another option for people. Thanks for sharing Bejay.
    This gives one hope about inquiry into federal funds going into joint road building efforts with private and gov. entities. Thanks again.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Remove Ads

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links