Rope and pulley system for buckets?

MrGneissGuy

May 30, 2017
Los Angeles
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hey guys I've been doing a lot of research and I found some photos from the 1930's for my area. It appears as though they were actually using a pulley system to move buckets of material off the hillside. I've been wondering about this, since it seems to me the best gold is up there. I'm not really sure why everyone mines in the river...maybe since it's easy? Anyways, I have a friend coming for the weekend and I thought it would be really fun to build a pulley system to move dirt down to the river. I was thinking one of us would fill buckets while the other fed the sluice. Obviously, this is not a simple endeavor and I don't even know if there's a crazy law about it, but who knows anymore. Anyways, do you guys think it's possible and/or worthwhile? I'm guessing it would take a lot more work than if I were to just carry the buckets of dirt, but that's not as fun. pulley.png

Upvote 0

Vance in AK

Feb 15, 2010
Kenai, Alaska
Detector(s) used
Fisher GB II. Whites GM II.
Man there used to be a good video of someone doing just that on youtube... And I'll bet Reed Lukens has something on video...

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Some guys used to do that at Cache Creek CO...a sort of zip line setup.

jcazgoldchaser

May 8, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Pulley on both ends, 2 buckets. Fill up a bucket up top and let it go, the empty bucket at the bottom comes right up to the top.

tmp2018_thumb_thumb.jpg

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

goldog

Sep 25, 2012
Tujunga, CA
Detector(s) used
Bazooka Gold Trap, A-51, Gold Pan
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Don't get your hopes up. If you are in a populated area I think it would be a no._.

On the other hand, A Harbor Freight just opened five minutes away.

The video was interesting. Could probably do better without the fishing pole. Oh yea, and be careful.

Last edited:

mike(swWash)

Feb 6, 2008
Grays Harbor in Washington state
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectrum XLT with about 1/4" of dust on it and can't even remember how t turn it on?!?!?
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I'd set it up with 2 parallel zip lines with a bucket on each and a line running thru a pulley on top. When the full bucket goes down it pulls the empty bucket back up. Fill-empty-repeat. Twice the productivity with no wasted time bucket fishing or manually retrieving with an attached line.

trdking

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2015
Fullerton CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If its in California, its bound to Pi$$ off someone!

Underburden

Mar 22, 2012
Idaho
Detector(s) used
Gold Hog Stream Sluice
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
In most states threatened by the EPA, no introduction of material from outside the creek goes into the creek.
You'd have to bring water to the upland location.
Another reason why they outlawed hydraulic mining...too much foreign material entering the watershed.

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
In most states threatened by the EPA, no introduction of material from outside the creek goes into the creek.
You'd have to bring water to the upland location.
Another reason why they outlawed hydraulic mining...too much foreign material entering the watershed.

Nonsense. 5 gal buckets are not a significant disturbance at any level including "introduction of foreign material to the watershed". Show us a reference that says otherwise!

Reed Lukens

Silver Member
Jan 1, 2013
Congres, AZ/ former California Outlawed Gold Miner
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, Whites MXT, Vsat, GMT, 5900Di Pro, Minelab GPX 5000, GPXtreme, 2200SD, Excalibur 1000!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's not simply rope and pulleys, it's 1/2" cable or larger in the picture, stretched tight. And even then, it will still sag with a full bucket if not winched down correctly. That set up took a lot of engineering :)

bcfromfl

Feb 18, 2016
Youngstown, FL
Detector(s) used
GPX 4500,
Fisher Gold Bug Pro,
Gold Hog stream sluice
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would think with the amount of engineering, trial-and-error, equipment, etc., necessary to get a bucket and pulley system operational, you'd be better off (and money ahead) to use a drywasher at the site.

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
It's not simply rope and pulleys, it's 1/2" cable or larger in the picture, stretched tight. And even then, it will still sag with a full bucket if not winched down correctly. That set up took a lot of engineering :)

Yeah but using a fishing pole. A small rope to retrieve the bucket each time would be more efficient and time saving. Also, it appears that there are three people in the video, so why is one guy doing all of the digging, sending the material across and retrieving the bucket? Oh I forgot, you have to have someone supervising and drinking all the beer!:icon_scratch::laughing9:

Added: Sorry! I now see you were talking about the old picture and not the video. My bad!!:icon_scratch::icon_pale:

Frank

Last edited:

Duckshot

Silver Member
Sep 8, 2014
trapped on the earthly plane of causation
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
parachute?

No. Like a tube or slide you drop things down that controls where the material falls.

I helped a dude clean out an apartment once. The tenant had died inside and was not found for days. 4th floor, not dragging the trash down the stairs or elevator. We hung a couple of sonotube fastened together right off the balcony and threw all the stinky trash down the sonotube chute to the dumpster.

Might work for throwing dirt down a steep hill. :dontknow:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions