treasure to me

dredgernaut

Dec 27, 2012
wisconsin
Detector(s) used
whites mxt, tesoro lobo super trac., monster1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i dug this out of high and dry gravel bar , serious hard pack , I'm trying to figure out the age , do you have a guess , funny thing is , within a 3 foot radius and 6 inches or so deeper i pulled out about 5 grams , maybe 5 buckets of material and the pick was packed in right on top of pocket , I'm thinking it all washed in there together during big water, or someone quit a minute to early , it could of been the next pan

Attachments

• IMG_9794.JPG
    IMG_9794.JPG
    567.1 KB · Views: 97
  • IMG_9798.JPG
    IMG_9798.JPG
    633.4 KB · Views: 78
Upvote 0

IMAUDIGGER

Silver Member
Mar 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The older pick heads were stamped with a name. Might be able to date it from that.

Prospector70

Nov 6, 2013
Detector(s) used
Bazooka Gold Trap 48", Keene A51 sluices and a
Number 2 Shovel baby!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice concretion there, I hear you can knock that rust off of there an mortar and pestle the rust and such, and may find gold there as well. I have a few pieces of metal concretions in my garage, just waiting till I have enough to make it worthwhile (or winter lol).

bug

Jun 5, 2008
Nor Cal
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hit it with the wire wheel. Ive got a few that looked like that and came out super clean removing the rot, and you can see the blacksmiths mark.

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hit it with the wire wheel. Ive got a few that looked like that and came out super clean removing the rot, and you can see the blacksmiths mark.

Or just soak it (outside!) in hot tub filter cleaner (sulphuric acid based) for a week. Much more gentle than a wire wheel if you have the patience :)

Oh and yes, be sure to pan the crud that falls off of there. Likely to be gold. I've done this and found gold, fun!

IMAUDIGGER

Silver Member
Mar 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not something most people think about doing...take a look at the business end with a magnifying glass.
I have one somewhere that has gold embedded into it. That was kind of cool.

OP
OP
dredgernaut

dredgernaut

Dec 27, 2012
wisconsin
Detector(s) used
whites mxt, tesoro lobo super trac., monster1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like the look of history , I think I will leave it be , not enough gold in that corrosion to be worth undoing it , but thanks for the ideas , I'm gonna just tell everyone its from 1800s , and I found the miner too , lol

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread