Where to get leather piston cups for hand Dredge

Jim in Idaho

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2012
Blackfoot, Idaho
Detector(s) used
White's GM2, GM3, DFX, Coinmaster, TDI-SL, GM24K, Falcon MD20, old Garrett Masterhunter BFO
'Way Too Cool' dual 18 Watt UV light
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Making them is pretty simple. I made new ones for my old bandsaw cylinder.
Jim

arizau

Bronze Member
May 2, 2014
AZ
Detector(s) used
Beach High Banker, Sweep Jig, Whippet Dry Washer, Lobo ST, 1/2 width 2 tray Gold Cube, numerous pans, rocker box, and home made fluid bed and stream sluices.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I got a couple at a local pump repair/supply store for my hand made sucker.

Last edited:

Jimmydolittle

Mar 14, 2013
Hendricksville Indiana
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Made my plunger from a plumbers pipe test plug. It is expandable to the pipe to make a good fit.
001.jpg 002.jpg

Bejay

Bronze Member
Mar 10, 2014
Central Oregon Coast
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT
Garret fully underwater
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
All my suction tubes use the same principle but instead of sandwiching rubber like you see in the plumbers pipe test plug you simply use a rubber ball sandwiched between two washers on threaded stock. They last almost an eternity...as you can simply tighten them as needed on occasion.

Bejay

Jim in Idaho

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2012
Blackfoot, Idaho
Detector(s) used
White's GM2, GM3, DFX, Coinmaster, TDI-SL, GM24K, Falcon MD20, old Garrett Masterhunter BFO
'Way Too Cool' dual 18 Watt UV light
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
That's a great idea, Bejay!
jim

Duckshot

Silver Member
Sep 8, 2014
trapped on the earthly plane of causation
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All my suction tubes use the same principle but instead of sandwiching rubber like you see in the plumbers pipe test plug you simply use a rubber ball sandwiched between two washers on threaded stock. They last almost an eternity...as you can simply tighten them as needed on occasion.

Bejay

I used a racketball ball. Doubled up the nuts on both sides of the washers so they can't loosen.

winners58

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2013
Oregon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you have the old ones you can soak them and reform them.
I was going to get new ones after letting them set a few seasons
called and talked to Red he said he could send new ones but being leather they should last a lifetime.
he told me to soak them a few hours or over night then shape them a little then put them a little ways
into the tube let them set for another night then pull them out and check them
make sure the nuts are tight, wipe a little vaseline on where they slide, worked out great for me, and still working good.

Last edited:

arizau

Bronze Member
May 2, 2014
AZ
Detector(s) used
Beach High Banker, Sweep Jig, Whippet Dry Washer, Lobo ST, 1/2 width 2 tray Gold Cube, numerous pans, rocker box, and home made fluid bed and stream sluices.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
If you have the old ones you can soak them and reform them.
I was going to get new ones after letting them set a few seasons
called and talked to Red he said he could send new ones but being leather they should last a lifetime.
he told me to soak them a few hours or over night then shape them a little then put them a little ways
into the tube let the set for another night then pull them out and check them
make sure the nuts are tight, wipe a little vaseline on where they slide, worked out great for me, and still working good.

My pump leather dries out in storage too but reconstitutes itself after soaking in water.:thumbsup: It is probably a good idea to soak new pump leathers before you adjust the tightness of it in the tube.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread