Oct 19, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello everyone, I am new here, and new in the theme of gold capture,
I've been studying a possibility of building my own sluice box,
but I still have a doubt about the space between riffles,
I saw some people saying are a correct distance are 2 inches, but
I thought that this leaves very close, another doubt and about how
make a measurement of the angle of the upper lip of the riffle, they said 15 degrees
From the base, I do not understand how it works, can anyone help me?

Sorry for the bad English.

Upvote 0

oidium45

Mar 6, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

N-Lionberger

Bronze Member
Dec 1, 2013
Arcata, California
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1212-x
Fisher Gold Bug 2
Whites 4900/SP3
Dowsing rods
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
The big riffles that came with my dredge box were two inches apart but it is a 4" dredge, much more water flow and big rocks rolling through, that aside it had really bad fine recovery, cut some out and replaced with 4# expanded works better. Did the same with my Keene A52 cut out the riffles and welded in some 4# expanded. Works great.

goldhog

May 14, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When it comes to a stream sluice... the PROPORTIONAL FORCE video is a VERY important one to watch.
Also, understanding what happens at DIFFERENT ZONES in a stream sluice is VERY important.
i.e. The flow at the end of a sluice box slows down due to BACK PRESSURE. Not many people realize this until you point it out.
If you'll notice below.... low flow and regular flow mats... the ENDS on both have no "riffles" of any type.
This allows rocks to keep rolling and account for lessened exchange.
Doc

mats.jpg

Also...... go to 9:31 in this video.

Bonaro

Aug 9, 2004
Olympia WA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 70, Minelab SD 2200d, 2.5", 3", 4"and several Keene 5" production dredges, Knelson Centrifuge, Gold screw automatic panner
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
A plain sluice with common carpet will catch 95% of the gold if operated properly. You can spend a great deal of time and money on riffle design and fancy mats trying to get at most a 2 or 3% increase in efficiency. Unless you are running a large commercial operation, the percentage of loss in a common sluice is irrelevant.
If you cant buy an old sluice then just copy an existing design.
Keep it simple and shovel on

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread