East coast/Midwest gold...help please.

Keeneongold

Aug 11, 2017
S.W Ohio
Detector(s) used
Keene a52 with high/low flow gold hog mats.
11in. fry basket
5 gallon soy sauce buckets
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Upvote 0

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If you are going to spend all that money on gas, food, and equipment, Join a good club in a state that HAS gold to find. For that, you'll need to go West. Sorry, but that is just fact. If a few colors in your pan at the end of the day is enough for you, then just buy some paydirt and be done with it. Best of luck! :skullflag:

OP
OP
K

Keeneongold

Aug 11, 2017
S.W Ohio
Detector(s) used
11in. fry basket
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I forgot to add, I would really like the replies to be helpful:)
I see vids of people in Vermont, Georgia, and even in Pennsylvania getting pickers and sometimes even bigger.
If anyone has any direction along those lines I would really appreciate the help.
I'm not trying to start a fight and not trying to be this that or the other.

I just want to find a pay to dig place around the east coast/ Midwest that has the potential for nice flakes and pickers and stuff that is bigger than the flour Gold I consistently find in S.W. Ohio.

OP
OP
K

Keeneongold

Aug 11, 2017
S.W Ohio
Detector(s) used
11in. fry basket
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Sorry. That was kinda rude on my part.

But if anyone can help me within the parameters of the OP I would appreciate it.

Golden_Crab

Mar 28, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You have glacial gold in the northern midwest area, New England just doesn't have much gold except for whats locked up under sprawling cities now, NC / SC / GA are your best bets on the east coast. I'd rather just go panning on grounds I know have good potential vs highbanking at a pay 2 dig. Pay 2 dig is great if you have no idea where else to look for gold. NC lets you pan in all the national forests, you can sluice in the Uwharrie, if you want to run motorized you'll need to know someone with private property. I'd join a club rather than pay 2 dig, you'll end up paying about the same except with a membership you'll at least be able to have some options as to where you can go and be able to make multiple trips. In NC I know of the thermal city pay 2 dig and lucky strike mine.

OP
OP
K

Keeneongold

Aug 11, 2017
S.W Ohio
Detector(s) used
11in. fry basket
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thanks for the tips. Really appreciate it.

Just_curious

Aug 27, 2017
Georgia/Alabama
Detector(s) used
Minelab GM1000
White's GMZ
White's Spectrum XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've been up and down the gold belt in GA and AL. The problem is, it's not worth while. They pay to digs have need dug out pretty good, and there's no such thing as public land in GA. People really aren't finding much pickers and nuggets in GA or AL, I can't speak for NC and SC. I would also say go west. I plan on taking a trip to either AZ, NM, NV, UT, or CO. GOOD GOLD THERE! Best part about it? It's BLM land and accessible to everybody. Also, the vast amounts of information on closed BLM claims is pretty extensive. I would wait until you can dedicate a week. Make the drive to those states I listed above, and REALLY have a chance! Also, there really isn't a whole lot of info out there, but good gold has been being found in Michigan. That might be worth looking into. Get up into the U.P and closer to Canada and woo-buddy! You'll have better luck either in MI or out west then you will here. Sure, gold is still found in GA and AL, but not worth while and definitely not by me. Out west you can actually nugget shoot. That's the size of the gold there.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using TreasureNet.com mobile app

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Crisson's Gold mine near Dahlonega, GA is probably your best bet and a lot closer than the west coast. Look up their website. I'd go there and get some of their concentrates. Have found small nuggets in them, I ordered mine on the net, but have been to the actual place. My favorite NC area is now closed for good. There are numerous places in Dahlonega you can go. Regarding clubs, they are up and down with finds.

triple d

Nov 17, 2013
Central N.H
Detector(s) used
36" BGT Prospector, 30" BGT Sniper, And related gold prospecting equipment
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Best bet in the East is go to A known good gold area. And try to get access to privite land. A lot of these areas have never been explored. That are on privite land. And near the hard rock mines. I think would be best. Then a lot of skill and a lot of luck. Its possible.

crumbaker

Feb 22, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You don't have to go anywhere you're in arguably the best area of Ohio, and not many people know how good the gold can be down there. Just hard to find places that aren't privately owned. Brown county is a hot spot, there's a video on youtube of a guy dredging there and getting 4 grams, also another old video of a guy close to there getting significantly more with a highbanker in a creek. I think Chillicothe is probably a great spot not a lot of people know about. The glaciers stopped right there and that's what brought the gold in Ohio. On my first test pan there in the Scioto river I got a picker. Haven't had a chance to go back and bring real equipment yet.

oidium45

Mar 6, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a buddy who wants to make a trip to a pay to dig type place.
We are located in S.W Ohio and are looking to drive anywhere on the east coast for a 3-4 day trip.
We'll have a highbanker and lotsa energy.

Any suggestions?

We are looking for the chunky stuff.

There are quite a few gold claims listed with USGS just south of you. I am sure you can find a place near there that is free to dig.

212q66f

OP
OP
K

Keeneongold

Aug 11, 2017
S.W Ohio
Detector(s) used
11in. fry basket
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Love all the replies.
I will put some time into looking at Chillicothe for sure. Have heard stuff about it but your experience is by far the most encouraging crumbaker. Thanks again.

crumbaker

Feb 22, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just sent you a pm but here's the video I was talking about

OP
OP
K

Keeneongold

Aug 11, 2017
S.W Ohio
Detector(s) used
11in. fry basket
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thanks. Got your message.

loco oro

Aug 15, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have prospected all over the east never north of pa,good gold in and around orange county va,around mineral va,then farther south its much better, with access and abundance, NC is hands down the best gold on the east coast, many campgrounds and significant gold history, you will never pay for your trip at a pay to play place,rather network with local clubs, they have access to private less picked over property, and the members will be helpful in many ways I.e. Cheap campgrounds or rooms, supply stores and what not, there's lots of gold to be had in the east for those with fortitude and people skills.

AU79 Prospector

Jun 25, 2017
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Nokta AU Goldfinder
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
If you are going to spend all that money on gas, food, and equipment, Join a good club in a state that HAS gold to find. For that, you'll need to go West. Sorry, but that is just fact. If a few colors in your pan at the end of the day is enough for you, then just buy some paydirt and be done with it. Best of luck! :skullflag:

A few flecks of color huh? Yea, there is no gold on the East Coast... ??? Such a generic misleading statement. He makes it sound like you just dunk your hand in the water any river out west and pull out gold nuggets. The reality is far from that. Yes of course there is great gold out west. But if you know where to go out east, there is also great gold. I belong to a club in central Virginia (CVGP.net). We have access to 10 claims, many of which have great gold! How good? Judge for yourself.

Here is a picture of my last cleanup I just completed today from a day trip using a battery powered high banker. Its over two grams of gold.... and its not just flour gold either. =)

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1bAZE6BYwro4jseafZ8rprx8cWAJ-trKR

Here is my first gold nugget earlier this year in gold starved Virginia. 6 grams.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1-Ntg1BBdPJmIpzZ4vj8abQKHsFDCLmkp

Here is a small fleck of gold found by a close friend of mine.. same place. 14 grams. Notice the nuggets in the blue pan below - they range from 1 - 7 grams.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1n4MRu-OmtLGXr8y5yzvfKg7ea33uuRpH

Here is a video I posted awhile back. Skip to 6:50 . A few more nuggets =) Clearly there is no gold out East.

*drops the mic*

open

Gold Nuggets at the Falls 3.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_7751.jpg
    IMG_7751.jpg
    443.1 KB · Views: 52
  • Nugget with Gold 1.jpg
    Nugget with Gold 1.jpg
    877.6 KB · Views: 50
Last edited:

Mgumby16

Jun 26, 2014
East Coast
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I completely agree with AU79, there is great gold to be had on the east coast. Access to land is not necessarily harder its just different then out west, Im a member of the CVGP club mentioned by AU79 and i have access to a number of different private properties. Just takes research and time.

As for a a few day trip, in Virginia Contrary creek is open to the public, just access via the road pull off and stay within the stream bed. Check out my facebook page PG-Prospecting, message me there if you like and i can give you some more details about contrary as well as some of the rivers. Also all the gold pics on that page are east coast gold. I hope to hear from you!

OP
OP
K

Keeneongold

Aug 11, 2017
S.W Ohio
Detector(s) used
11in. fry basket
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thanks guys for all your replies. Loco thanks for the suggestions and info. AU79 your vids, among a few others, were the inspiration for my inquiry.
Mgumby, thanks for the info. I'll definitely look into the club and when the times comes for our trip I'll definitely get in touch. Guys I'm super excited.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions