Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XLT, GMT, 6000D Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Howdy Folks,
Seems I've bone rubbing bone in the left knee and the doc tells me the joint needs to be replaced. With my last outing I noticed I had to go down hill with the left foot turned sideways, no toes first down the hill or the joint pain was 'there'.

So how many have undergone this procedure and how has it affected your ability to be "Out There"? I would appreciate your sharing results, hints, tips and any etc's you might have. Other inputs might be how long did it take before you felt comfortable to be out and about in the mountains, hiking trails, jumping from boulder to boulder and such.

Thank you, 63bkpkr

Upvote 0

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I only know people who have done it
DO NOT let the doc describe what they do

heveemetal

Greenie
Sep 10, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello, my mother has had both knees replaced. I preop a lot of total knees. The latest and best quickest recovery is from the quadriceps sparing total knee. I would also get the adductor canal block in preop. When done correctly it reduces pain up to 12-16 hours. Not pain free but a lot less pain the day of surgery. Doing the PT is also very important.Research the surgeons for the best orthopedic.

N

patiodadio

Feb 28, 2014
KY
Detector(s) used
Whites 4000D
Garrett ATPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am 61 and have both of my knees replaced (did them one at a time) its been great for me. I was having a hard time walking before and now I can walk great and I use knee pads for metal detecting and don't have any trouble (if I don't over do it ). If you have have bone on bone, you need replacement for sure. I can only speak for myself but its been really good for me, gave me my life back.

loco oro

Aug 15, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hope all goes well for you, I know of similar stories, with similar results, get well soon, don't let that pesky fever we all have complicate your recovery, lol

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've known dozens who have it done to 1 or 2 knees. Physical therapy and exercise afterwards plays a huge part in the success of the whole thing. I've put it off for many years now myself as 1 Doc says you must and another not yet. There are also many partial replacements being done now also. AMA website has much info. so lots of luck with your decision and outcome-John

TwistedT

Nov 15, 2014
Westmoreland County, PA
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2,
Fisher F5,
Garrett ATP
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Had a total knee replacement (left)the end of last September. back to work on Jan 2.
i had no pain after surgery - was doing rehab the same day. Ice and elevate knee 3-4 times a day to reduce swelling (and there will be swelling) and pain especially after your rehab.

I did rehab 3-4 times a week for 2 1/2 months, this you DO NOT want to skip. this is where you regain your motion and strength in the leg. It will be tough at first but it gets better.
It took me about 8 months before i was totally comfortable with it and now i never even think about it, just go about doing what i want. Your knee will tell you when you are doing something you shouldnt be doing - believe me.

i can do just about anything i was able to do before - bike, hunt, detect, ladders, cut grass etc... i do not jump from rock to rock lol that maybe a bit harsh for the replacement. Kneeling - some can and some cant on the new knee, i can somewhat.
I use a gel knee pad when detecting. i was able to drive in 3 weeks and i think i was detecting by mid November. One thing - with my knee replacement i always have a way to check to see if my detector is working!! lol I have no issues at all "out there" just use common sense and it will be fine

follow the doctors and therapists orders and you will be fine!

clifdweller

Aug 18, 2017
southwest
Detector(s) used
dowsing rods
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I had a total knee replacement in '05. I had put it off for 26 years because the doc told me to wait as long as possible because every year there are improvements.
I almost waited too long! There was very little bone left to attach to but everything worked out.
I went from 26 years of constant pain to "0" pain almost over night!
The doc would ask me my pain level and I would tell him "0". He scolded me and said, "It hurts, you're just so used to the pain you don't notice it!" The next time he asked I told him "3". he seemed pleased.
As for problems, I have had more problems and pain in my "good" knee since surgery. I still have "0" pain in my replacement.
Don't neglect the physical therapy!! That is so important. If you neglect it and have trouble later you might not be able to make up for it.

Best to you.

Goldfinger450

Aug 28, 2017
Central Oregon.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Both mine replaced, WORTH IT, No pain for years now, if you need it do it. I did my own recovery with a stationary bike and got Better range of motion than the norm.

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
Well it sounds like it's time for you to get it done! I had my right knee replaced 3 year's ago and I'm scheduled for my left knee in Mid - December. I fought off the thought of having this done for YEARS before I finally found a Doctor that gave me the straight truth in plain English about the procedure and outcome. NOW I wish I hadn't waited so long! Get it done now before the weather turns nice for getting out!! This Summer I'm going to give it one more try dredgeing BUT I've scaled down from a 4 inch down to a 2 inch (something that I can handle.) I'd get a 5 or 6 inch dredge BUT I can't find anyone willing to go out with me dredging:BangHead:...............

bobw53

Oct 23, 2014
Hatch, New Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As for problems, I have had more problems and pain in my "good" knee since surgery. I still have "0" pain in my replacement.

A while back my grandmother fell and broke her hip... OR.. Her hip broke and she fell... Either way, she broke her hip..

Surgery a few days later, they had her up and moving within hours... A few weeks at a rehab facility... I never saw her
move so fast, at least not in years... She kept saying that she hoped to break her other hip.

OP
OP
63bkpkr

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XLT, GMT, 6000D Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Everyone - great reply's, good information, even a laugh (wish I'd break the other hip)! Just like Tnet!!

However, the bicycle work outs took me by surprise but then of course it makes perfect sense - up on a trainer that I own so safe as no cars involved, exercise so many muscles and of course the knee joint literally goes right along with it. "Should have done it years ago"! And one of the better ones as you sound just like me, "Be ready for when the warm weather comes"!

Rehab absolutely! Get good and Strong absolutely! Take it easy, well if you insist. Yeah, I will have to be a good boy as I'd like the replacement to last for awhile as I've places to go and things to do a lot of which are in the Outdoor Arena of life and usually at the bottom of a mountain trail!

More later when I've something to share..................63bkpkr

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Go for it! Had one Feb 16 and back on the softball field eleven weeks later. Ask about the athletic knee. It has a pivot built in so playing sports feels natural. One doctor told me two years ago I would never play sports again! He obviously doesn't know what he's doing. Having the other done DEC 7th. Doc says I'll be playing ball until I'm 80!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread