Best Sidearm For Protection From Bear While Prospecting

Asmbandits

Bronze Member
Mar 4, 2014
NorCal
Detector(s) used
Fisher GB2, Bazooka Prospector 36", EZ sluice, Blue Bowl..
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I carry more for lions and crazys, bears not so much as we have lil black and brown bears here. Still, .357 mag is my choice of side arm.

Laz7777

Dec 19, 2015
South Fork Yuba River, Motherlode
Detector(s) used
GoldBug II
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
me and the bears have come to agreement.
they don't B+E my tent, I don't run after them with a stick making loud noises.
here's an answer to bear-proof your campsite: urinate all around it, dump the jug you use at night liberally all around.
but only do this if you're male....male urine contains testosterone, which basically says: stay the F*** away!
female urine contains estrogen, which says: come and find me Big Boy!

so, there's my answer to the type of gun I use...a spray gun :)

OP
OP
G

ghostminer

I guess we better include mountain lions in this also.

N-Lionberger

Bronze Member
Dec 1, 2013
Arcata, California
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1212-x
Fisher Gold Bug 2
Whites 4900/SP3
Dowsing rods
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I also carry .357 Magnum. Less worried about bears as I'm also in Nor Cal as most of our bears are pretty tame. I carry for 2 leg and no leg critters. If a big cat wants to eat you are pretty well screwed. If I were going into griz country I would carry a pump action shotgun 12 guage loaded with slugs.

RTR

Gold Member
Nov 21, 2017
Smith Mt. Lake Va.
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Liberator
Falcon MD-20
Blue Bowl
Angus MacKirk sluice
Miller Table
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Second that on the lion.Unless a bear cub is near by and you don't see it.

OP
OP
G

ghostminer

Up in the northern Sierra's (California side) I was standing near the base of a mountain filling a water container out of a runoff area. About 100 ft from where I stood I heard a crashing sound & quickly turned to look. A black bear came crashing down the hill, onto the flat, & never missing a beat went running down below where I stood into a deep ravine below. It all happened very quickly. I usually carry bear spray but of course didn't have it at that moment. I was impressed by how quickly that critter covered rough ground. I could never have gotten out of his way in time. Funny but he never even noticed me. Good thing for me I guess. Got me to thinking about a good sidearm to buy as I only have a 9mm semi auto now & I think my 15 round clips might be illegal in California.

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
If you are in Alaska, 454 Casull revolver. A little bit bigger than 44 Mag, good for big Brown bears.

Lower 48, 357 Mag revolver.

Good luck sir!

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
[FONT=&quot]Serious bear country [/FONT]- Smith & Wesson Model S&W500 500 S&W 6.5" 5Rds ($1,100.00) with Chest mount holster.
https://www.smith-wesson.com/firearms/model-sw500-1

Last edited:

N-Lionberger

Bronze Member
Dec 1, 2013
Arcata, California
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1212-x
Fisher Gold Bug 2
Whites 4900/SP3
Dowsing rods
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I encountered a black bear hiking in the trinity alps and he ran straight up the mountain bounding over boulders like nothing ZOOOM it was a sight to behold lol.

IMAUDIGGER

Silver Member
Mar 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you were given one choice of a sidearm for protection from bear while prospecting what would it be? Does anyone have any good bear stories while out in the field?

You have to add wolves to that list.
Probably have to be a pretty extreme situation (hard winter), but a threat could exist.

Don't limit yourself to just one..Reality is carry the biggest caliber you comfortably can without interfering with your activities.
For me sometimes, that is .38 special +P
Not very big, but better than leaving it in the truck.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Smith & Wesson XVR .460

Smith & Wesson's Model 460XVR[emoji769] has the highest muzzle velocity of any production revolver on earth. The Model 460XVR[emoji769] is so revolutionary that it required an entirely new designation...XVR, X-treme Velocity Revolver. *Performance Center guns originate from standard designs or are created from the ground up. From hand-cutting and fitting to fine tuning for precision, these firearms are top performers. Products from the Performance Center are the ultimate expression of old-world craftsmanship blended with modern technology.

https://www.smith-wesson.com/firearms/performance-center-model-460xvr-14-barrel-bi-pod download.jpeg

goober

Jun 2, 2013
sw lower mi
Detector(s) used
fisher 1260.yea its old.fisher 2 box. gold bug.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
12 ga pump,44mag or the s&w 500,for sidearm.i.m.o.

mytimetoshine

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2013
El Dorado County
Detector(s) used
GRIZZLY GOLD TRAP - ANGUS MACKIRK EXPLORER- BLUE BOWL - GOLD CUBE, MINELAB PRO 25 PINPOINTER-
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Depends on the bear i guess. Noise maker might work. If you're being charged, good luck, it aint gonna happen with a pistol unless you're an expert shot on moving tagets while under extreme pressure. With a Rifle/shotgun maybe

Last edited:

Bodkin

Oct 9, 2017
Bold Coast & Treasure Coast
Detector(s) used
Blue Excal 1000, Enox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, this one struck a nerve. I got chased by a mother bear when I came, unknowingly, too close to her two cubs. She was in a powerline clearing that had small saplings. All of a sudden I saw what I thought was a car driving through them. The saplings were being mowed down as she was coming through them to get to me. It all came together when I suddenly saw the cubs. I was taking pictures at the time and had all my equipment set up. I wrapped my arms around my camera and tripod and run up a fire lane. At the bottom stood mom, rocking back and forth. Took me a long time to keep my knees from shaking. This all took place in New Jersey in a place I used to frequently bowhunt. This is also the area that got me started on detecting and bottle hunting. These are the same exact woods that produced the N.J. state record bear of 829 lbs. https://www.ammoland.com/2011/12/829lb-black-bear-takes-record-in-nj-bear-hunt/ Having moved from NJ to FL to PA and now Maine, I've had encounters with gators, bears, coyotes, rattlesnakes and sharks. I love to detect, but when I put on my headphones I get a little nervous in places, especially here in ME. I would love to bring my 12 gauge, but I have opted for a Springfield .45 ACP. That S&W 500 p

SchoolOfHardRocks

Apr 30, 2014
Gone, With the Wind
Primary Interest:
Other
I make noise while i hike through the california motherlode and have no problems. The bears here are like puppy dogs and like others have said -youre not gonna see a mountain lion until its on you anyway so a gun isnt gonna help much. I would look up bear and lion attack history in the areas you frequent. Should give you a good idea of the danger or lack thereof.

Jim in Idaho

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2012
Blackfoot, Idaho
Detector(s) used
White's GM2, GM3, DFX, Coinmaster, TDI-SL, GM24K, Falcon MD20, old Garrett Masterhunter BFO
'Way Too Cool' dual 18 Watt UV light
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
If a bear surprises you, and the same goes for lions, you won't have to worry about packing. You'll never clear leather. I've spent a huge chunk of my time in really wild country, here in Idaho. What I carry is a big , very sharp, knife. I guarantee ya, in a real pinch, that knife will do more good than a handgun. But, you're going to get chewed-up no matter what. The speed and ferocity of wild animals is hard to imagine, if you haven't seen it.
Jim

Slingshot

Bronze Member
Apr 3, 2004
Southern Appalachia
Detector(s) used
Whites CM2 BFO, Harbor Freight 9 function, BH Pioneer 202, Fisher F22
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They don't make pistols big enough, you will need a .50 BMG on a pintle mount in the back of a pickup truck along with 2 people to operate the weapon, a gunner and a feeder. Make sure you use hollow pointed bullets, and stay within 25 yards of the pickup while you are prospecting. At the first sign of a bear, hit the prone position as there will be a lot of hot lead in the air. Good luck on your gold!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread