Gold Rush, Bearing Sea Gold etc...

Arachnofreak

Nov 16, 2012
Prescott Arizona
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hello all,

Does anyone else share my very low opinion of these reality shows? I don't mean to rattle anyone's cage if your a fan. If you like them great, more power to ya but I just cant bring myself to watch these things for more than a few minutes. It's the fact that some of these guys spend so freakin much on equipment to go deeper or further to get more gold that your always hearing insane comments like "damn, if I don't get 1000 ounces this season I'm ruined" etc etc etc... Some of them are so freakin out of shape they can't walk a circle around their backhoe without running out of breath and all the damn Drama!!! Oh no, this is broken, Oh no that is broken blah blah blah. I cant seem to get anything buy annoyed watching them. I'll take a dry washer, metal detector, sluice box, pan and a shovel, they can keep the drama and the high blood pressure.

-Charlie

Upvote 0

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Why do folks watch "My 600-pound Life," or "Real Housewive's of Atlanta?" If it doesn't entertain you - Switch the channel. :skullflag:

OP
OP
A

Arachnofreak

Nov 16, 2012
Prescott Arizona
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Why do folks watch "My 600-pound Life," or "Real Housewive's of Atlanta?" If it doesn't entertain you - Switch the channel. :skullflag:

I get that, I was just curios how actual gold miners felt about these shows. I don't watch my 600lb life either but I wouldn't ask about it here ;)

-Charlie

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I get that, I was just curios how actual gold miners felt about these shows. I don't watch my 600lb life either but I wouldn't ask about it here ;)

-Charlie

I think they are like "Soap Opera's" for wanna-bee's. Total waste of videotape. :skullflag:

G

ghostminer

Rick Ness has left the show. Supposedly he is getting his own show.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh joy, another show like the others.

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Rick Ness has left the show. Supposedly he is getting his own show.

Rick seems like a great guy, and as far as I know was one of Parker's
best friends.

To see him leave Parkers operation and try to make another show
is a bad idea...people are about burned out with all these shows having
the same MO.

G

ghostminer

According to what was leaked, Rick left on bad terms. He refused to shake hands with Parker. Rick is from Milwaukee & played college football until an injury forced him to stop. He formed a band & ended up in Alaska somehow & met Parker. They became friends & Parker hired him. Parker became increasingly critical of Rick for drinking & smoking too much & becoming complacent in his job. I guess it all became too much for Rick. Won't be the same without him.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
"As the Trommel Turns." :laughing7:

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"As the Trommel Turns." :laughing7:

Yep, they all nothing more than soap operas about gold. Its a shame because they have the chance to be great, informative and fun but as with most TV producers, they take the low road and go for fake, manufactured drama.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I watch & like the Bearing Sea Gold shows yet.

Though from the way they act, I don't think a single one of them will ever be hurtin' for money.
I say even the Irish stooges & zeak are multi Millionaires. and
only doing this for a hobby. I'll guess even whats'er-face is either a millionaire or living off her dads millions. My guess no one wanted to listen to her scream & call it singing. and now her dad is bankrolling her. it takes a woman to be 500lbs & have a Cows face to be paid to scream operra

the Mr. Gold crew are of course Pros.
But probably worth 10 times what they admit to.
Billionaires trying to get richer. ?

But as I said, I can still Tolerate it.

Gold Rush on the other hand, Like the show about the money pit, have driven me away.
Can't stomach anyone on those shows any more.

Last edited:
OP
OP
A

Arachnofreak

Nov 16, 2012
Prescott Arizona
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Anybody remember Jeff Corwin? He was that nature show dude, kinda funny and very educational. If they could find a way to cross that show with a pick and shovel gold mining show out in the Bradshaws or some such place I would definitely watch that!

Charlie

Armor9

Nov 9, 2017
Lorain County, Ohio
Detector(s) used
AT Max, Makro pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My wife and I watch those show but more to see how Todd can screw up, etc. It is kind of like when Todd when to South America, it was like watching a car accident, how could you not watch it :)

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
I'm a miner wanna-be-that-never-will-be, and I gave up watching those shows long before I gave up satellite TV. Yes, due to the drama! Couldn't stand all the excessive drama fed into these shows, and then to add in even more outside woes to play even further on sympathy.

As far as Bearing Sea Gold, I think the final straw for me was when that one girl (can't remember her name) kept trying to impress the world with her vocal skills. ...Well yes, it IS quite impressive how someone can sing so lousy and still think they're good. *lol*

Gold Rush? Just the drama. It would be painfully obvious so many times when Todd would over-act things. They also liked to make a big deal out of Dakota Fred and his anger issues. I have no doubt they're real, but that doesn't mean I want to sit there listening to someone spout off for 15 minutes of the show!

Don't even know who Rick is. I quit watching shortly before Parker's grandfather passed. That, too, is a reason I didn't want to watch anymore. Am certain he had his bad moments, but they showed his good side mostly, and I liked that.

Really, the ONLY reason I'd watch any of those shows is simply to see that yeller stuff they git! Pirate - Copy.gif

gldguy1

Apr 30, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Only show I really respected was devils canyon..just sayin

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Guessing that's a newer one?

I had to look it up. Came out last year I think, google says its a discovery channel show but I never saw any ads or anything for it. Takes place up in Canada, so maybe its a reagional showing.

Mad Machinist

Silver Member
Aug 18, 2010
Southeast Arizona
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Anybody remember Jeff Corwin? He was that nature show dude, kinda funny and very educational. If they could find a way to cross that show with a pick and shovel gold mining show out in the Bradshaws or some such place I would definitely watch that!

Charlie

You just might get that sooner than you think.

markmopar

Feb 15, 2008
southern NJ/southeast VA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Rick seems like a great guy, and as far as I know was one of Parker's
best friends.

To see him leave Parkers operation and try to make another show
is a bad idea...people are about burned out with all these shows having
the same MO.

Looking at the dates of his return to the US, it seems more likely that Rick is getting an off-season show, leaving him free to mine in the summer.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread