Rough Patch

SchoolOfHardRocks

Apr 30, 2014
Gone, With the Wind
Primary Interest:
Other
I just moved 20 miles south to modesto ca a few months ago. I loved to hit the NFAR and prety much learned all that i know about panning, sluicing, crevicing and sniping there. My heart sinks when i think about it because thats how much the place means to me. Although the move only made the NFAR an hour further round trip, i figured it would be worth trying to find somewhere closer. A buddy of mine from work owns a claim in mariposa county that he has granted me access to and i have found gold there. Its just that the gold is spotty and ive been there half a dozen times and havent got more than half a third of a gram which is lower than im used to. I think Im gonna head back to the north fork and give it a shot to both scratch my itch and also to see if i do much better there... perhaps its worth the 3 hr drive? Lol.. anyway just thought i would vent a little since i havent posted in a while. I have spent some time exploring new creeks around the coulterville area which has been fun. Ive come across tons of hand stacks, burned forest, found some square nails, lots of old mining equipment, and learned a little about another beautiful area in the sierra nevadas.
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1517972630.072010.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1517972734.374317.jpg

Upvote 0

Asmbandits

Bronze Member
Mar 4, 2014
NorCal
Detector(s) used
Fisher GB2, Bazooka Prospector 36", EZ sluice, Blue Bowl..
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

mytimetoshine

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2013
El Dorado County
Detector(s) used
GRIZZLY GOLD TRAP - ANGUS MACKIRK EXPLORER- BLUE BOWL - GOLD CUBE, MINELAB PRO 25 PINPOINTER-
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well i think you will be ok. Its not all about the gold, part of it is looking for the gold and just enjoying nature. I know you feel the same way. Besides that though there has to be good gold nearby you just havent found it yet, im confident you will. Even though you probably wont be headed this way often dont forget to text me when you do. Always had a good time mining with you. We still gotta get back to Euchre when the water is managable! Theres a nugget with our names on it down there!!!

OP
OP
SchoolOfHardRocks

SchoolOfHardRocks

Apr 30, 2014
Gone, With the Wind
Primary Interest:
Other
Maraposa is a rich district, I'd love to search that area and hope to get down there some time. If you havent already, check out this epic thread http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/treasure-legends-california/177959-many-lost-treasures-mariposa-ca-photos-added.html and it should help guide you around that area, Eagle named off a bunch of locations, leads and history of that area.

Yeah youre right. I read his thread when i first joined tnet..once i started i couldnt stop. I always think of him when im out there but i havent thought to go back and read his thread again. Now that i have interest in prospecting the area myself i can probably get some good leads like you said.

Reed Lukens

Silver Member
Jan 1, 2013
Congres, AZ/ former California Outlawed Gold Miner
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, Whites MXT, Vsat, GMT, 5900Di Pro, Minelab GPX 5000, GPXtreme, 2200SD, Excalibur 1000!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've found it to be lots faster to hit interstate 5 and stay off 99 thru sac... We did the drive to Turlock and back every Thursday but I wasn't going slow either and 5 with the 70mph speed limit and the cars all cruising around 85, makes for a quicker trip :) There is good gold to be found closer to you, my family was in Agua Fria a few generations back and that's not too far either. Just do some research because new areas are fun to discover :)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread