GRIZZLY SLUICE

Hefty1

Bronze Member
Dec 5, 2010
Geez...the reinvention of the old rocker box. Can make your own a lot cheaper.

th

Last edited:

Reed Lukens

Silver Member
Jan 1, 2013
Congres, AZ/ former California Outlawed Gold Miner
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, Whites MXT, Vsat, GMT, 5900Di Pro, Minelab GPX 5000, GPXtreme, 2200SD, Excalibur 1000!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Johnnybravo300

Bronze Member
Jan 3, 2016
South of Gunnison, Gold Basin
Detector(s) used
F2
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Why would someone want this and for $500!!??
About ten times more than it's worth and ten times slower than a pan! I don't get it.
The only person to make money with this tool is the seller.

Last edited:
OP
OP
G

ghostminer

That's the idea LOL. Back in the original gold rush days it was the suppliers who made most of the money. Nothing has changed since then. Just look at the prices of all this "wonder equipment". I haven't seen anything yet that couldn't be built yourself for less money. However, to be fair, there is a production & engineering cost involved.

FingerChili

Feb 17, 2018
SF Bay Area, California
Detector(s) used
Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
$500 seems ridiculous for that, but building it yourself cheaper requires tools, time, and a certain amount of handiness that might be better invested in a premade product.

Think about this, if you went to your local metal supply, you're paying $100 just in materials and $10 PER CUT if you have them do a few simple shears so it'll fit in your car. Then if you need them to make the bends, and the holes, and the welding, and and and...

Breaking even is losing money.

Johnnybravo300

Bronze Member
Jan 3, 2016
South of Gunnison, Gold Basin
Detector(s) used
F2
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I have a tool that works much better and easier and isn't a new invention. It's called a sluice box! Haha

It's like these new and improved gold pans that are invented every week.

Last edited by a moderator:

N-Lionberger

Bronze Member
Dec 1, 2013
Arcata, California
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1212-x
Fisher Gold Bug 2
Whites 4900/SP3
Dowsing rods
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I don't know who that is, so I hope it's a complement.

Oh man.....

That thing isn't even a rocker box, its a mini dip box. Better off with a pan. If I were going to buy a rocker I'd get one of those Alan Tree Gold Grabber rocker boxes that pumps water as you rock it.

Last edited:

mytimetoshine

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2013
El Dorado County
Detector(s) used
GRIZZLY GOLD TRAP - ANGUS MACKIRK EXPLORER- BLUE BOWL - GOLD CUBE, MINELAB PRO 25 PINPOINTER-
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh man.....

That thing isn't even a rocker box, its a mini dip box. Better off with a pan. If I were going to buy a rocker I'd get one of those Alan Tree Gold Grabber rocker boxes that pumps water as you rock it.
I loved my mini rocking gold grabber! Worked really good and like u said pumps when you rock it. My only complaint is the pump broke after about 20hrs of use...no bueno

Hamfist

Aug 1, 2014
SoCal
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Whippet, 151, GH, shovel, brain
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
$500?! [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]
20X faster than panning?! [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

lookingharder

Feb 27, 2015
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Whites Coin Master. Garrett AT Gold, Garrett Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok, I might sound like an a&$ because my knee is killing me, but lets just for a minute assume that not everyone has been prospecting for years. I can turn on the news and get BS opinions. I don't know anything about prospecting but want to learn, that's why I spent my hard earned money on a ATGOLD. I respect everyone's opinion, especially on this site because of the vast experience members have. So, in saying that, instead of just saying something is a waste of money or something is a piece of crap., Explain to us no nothings, why you feel the way you do. A lot of us base our buying on what we read from this site. Weather it be gold prospecting equipment of metal detectors. Give us no nothings credible info on why something is or isn't worth buying.

Hamfist

Aug 1, 2014
SoCal
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Whippet, 151, GH, shovel, brain
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
So, in saying that, instead of just saying something is a waste of money or something is a piece of crap., Explain to us no nothings, why you feel the way you do.
Where to start? I think it has been mentioned numerous times in this thread. I’ll sum it up like this: you will process material faster and achieve greater recovery of fine gold with a $10 pan and classifier. A stream sluice will be much faster and be less than half the price. The video misleads people who are new to this into thinking that this device is fast and will pull an ounce of gold out of a random bucket of dirt. It isn’t and it won’t.

Beyond that, there are dozens of threads posted by greenhorns on the topic of how to get started, most containing detailed information on where to find gold and how to get it out of the ground efficiently.

Last edited:

Vance in AK

Feb 15, 2010
Kenai, Alaska
Detector(s) used
Fisher GB II. Whites GM II.
Ok, I might sound like an a&$ because my knee is killing me, but lets just for a minute assume that not everyone has been prospecting for years. I can turn on the news and get BS opinions. I don't know anything about prospecting but want to learn, that's why I spent my hard earned money on a ATGOLD. I respect everyone's opinion, especially on this site because of the vast experience members have. So, in saying that, instead of just saying something is a waste of money or something is a piece of crap., Explain to us no nothings, why you feel the way you do. A lot of us base our buying on what we read from this site. Weather it be gold prospecting equipment of metal detectors. Give us no nothings credible info on why something is or isn't worth buying.

You would be surprised to know how many "Experts" on here have little to no experience but like to blow a LOT of smoke. They can't give valid reasons because they don't have any. My comment is not necessarily directed at this thread by the way...
Regarding the Grizzly Sluice I have never used one but I have seen one. It seemed to be a quality build. Well designed & put together. In all hobbies there are guys that just really like to collect the related tools. They like quality & aren't necessarily interested in efficiency of function. They like to hold it. To look at it. To use it even if there might be something better. In the case of prospecting these guys (and I mean them NO offence. They have FUN. That's what it's about to them & they aren't hurting the rest of us.) are content to take a cool tool out, work a few hours & find a few specs a few times a year. It's a day they spent outside instead of in front of a computer monitor or TV so it's a day well spent. For them this tool may well be a better fit than my bigger AM Boss that I can shovel a LOT through. The Boss is a big ugly piece of gray plastic. I don't look at it & say "Wow, great craftsmanship" but I like & use it because it works. It's the tool for ME.

Bonaro

Aug 9, 2004
Olympia WA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 70, Minelab SD 2200d, 2.5", 3", 4"and several Keene 5" production dredges, Knelson Centrifuge, Gold screw automatic panner
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I dont like to slam other peoples products because I sell stuff too and dont like it when my things are talked of negatively especially when it isnt deserved.

I have been doing this mining thing for a while now and I enjoy seeing the annual rollout of the latest gold getting whizbang. There is at least one at every gold show and someone is always devising a new-fangled pan, sluice or super mat. Invention is a great thing.
With that said...over the last 30 years, I can count on one hand the number of truly new and innovative products I have seen. Almost all gold recovery methods ever invented are based on gravity and most of those use water, this one is no different.

This gizmo seems to be well made and uses proven methods of recovery. It is also just a modern construction of a very old idea. I'll bet it works just fine but I also think there are many other products on the market that work as well or better. The video is not a product demo, it is an ambitious marketing video but if you want to sell stuff you have to make it look great. This thing would be faster than hand panning but not as fast as a sluice of comparable size because you dont have to stop to pour in water.
I think $500 is about twice what the market value is.

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not a rocker or a cradle or a dip box. Or really a remake of them It doesn't even move.

A sluice in the moving water right be hind it would move more material and be just as "efficient"

The added step of having to add water in between adding what is a pretty small amount of material to the screen is just another step. So, I don't know how that cuts down on time.

You are relying on surge to push off gangue material. Without constant hydraulic exchange your gonna get build up and have to clean out often.

On top of all of that the price makes it a big "NOPE"

The worst thing a company can do in the small prospecting gear world is release their widget and tell the market how much better their product is than any other. Like it is a replacement to everything else.

Its almost always never true. That is a statement to be made by the end user and borrowed by the manufacturer.

Always the first indicator of something that most likely won't redefine prospecting gear or the way people mine is the makers claim that it is going to do so.

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
it is not the "most efficient gold mining sluice box on the market" it isn't even a sluice box

regular stream sluices have better than 50% retention unlike the manufacturer claims

it also can not process more material more efficiently than other available "gold retrieving devices"

Experienced prospectors see that right away. Products like these are made for beginners and people who think there is a magic piece of gear that will make them better prospectors.

That's just not how it works.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions