Wife scores a big one

spillercanyon

Jan 4, 2012
California
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I have always wanted my son to catch the fever, he didn't but the wife did. She asked I take her prospecting last weekend so I took her to a small ravine below a lode claim I like to dig around on. She likes to dig cracks so I pointed out a crack I hadn't seen before and asked that she dig and classify it so I could take it home to pan, there is no water there except right after a storm. She was classifying the materials, scraping the dirt off the rock with the screen when she hands me what looks like a dirt clod and asks if this is gold. I knew by the weight immediately that it was. She had scraped enough dirt to reveal just a little gold. We washed it off with drinking water and we both began to laugh. I hope that I would have spotted it in the classifier but I can't say I wouldn't have tossed the materials, lesson learned, I will pile all my classified material and scan it before I leave. Besides this we found a picker and some color. Obviously the wife wants to go back.

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 308
  • 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 206
  • 3.JPG
    3.JPG
    931.5 KB · Views: 206
Upvote 0
OP
OP
S

spillercanyon

Jan 4, 2012
California
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Took a look back at some pictures I took in 2015, the red dot marks where we found the nugget a week ago. Looks like my son and I missed it by about 6 inches when we worked that area. Worked right where the water currently flows and I'm now moving over and digging the bank on the left, the direction of the lode claims. Never know how close you might be to a BIG nugget! :headbang:

Attachments

• Nugspot.JPG
    Nugspot.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 125

The Aluminum Monster

Mar 18, 2015
New Bedford, MA
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster Pro, Tesoro Mojave, Garrett AT Pro, 5x8 DD, 15" NEL Attack, Garrett Pro-pointer, Pro Series 5x9 sand scoop, 30" Royal Compact sluice, 36" Bazooka Gold Trap, Gold Cube.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a fantastic specimen and needs to be up top! GAH! I wish we had those here on the east coast!

mytimetoshine

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2013
El Dorado County
Detector(s) used
GRIZZLY GOLD TRAP - ANGUS MACKIRK EXPLORER- BLUE BOWL - GOLD CUBE, MINELAB PRO 25 PINPOINTER-
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice! Every prospectors dream right there.

Asmbandits

Bronze Member
Mar 4, 2014
NorCal
Detector(s) used
Fisher GB2, Bazooka Prospector 36", EZ sluice, Blue Bowl..
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What a great find and story, you guys just missed it prior! Makes me re think some of my hot spots lol.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congratualtions on the very nice specimen! :occasion14:

OP
OP
S

spillercanyon

Jan 4, 2012
California
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
That's a fantastic specimen and needs to be up top! GAH! I wish we had those here on the east coast!

There aren't too many out here this size, that's the best, BY FAR, of what I've found after 40 years and 1000's of pans. I love looking for gold and I love finding big nugs but I have to say, any shine in the pan makes me smile (though it takes a nug to make me laugh). Try the south or come out west some time.

OP
OP
S

spillercanyon

Jan 4, 2012
California
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Went back a few days later and hiked out 2, 5 gallon buckets of dirt and ran it through a newly finished recirculating sluice. Here is what we found.

Attachments

• 4.JPG
    4.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 73

arizau

Bronze Member
May 2, 2014
AZ
Detector(s) used
Beach High Banker, Sweep Jig, Whippet Dry Washer, Lobo ST, 1/2 width 2 tray Gold Cube, numerous pans, rocker box, and home made fluid bed and stream sluices.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Went back a few days later and hiked out 2, 5 gallon buckets of dirt and ran it through a newly finished recirculating sluice. Here is what we found.

Think what you might be able to do with a dry washer. The two of you could move much more material and really kill it.:thumbsup:

Good luck.

Last edited:

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Think what you might be able to do with a dry washer. The two of you could move much more material and really kill it.:thumbsup:

Good luck.

I agree looks dry enough. That slate can hold a lot of gold. I see a lot of material to be ran in the picture shown.

triple d

Nov 17, 2013
Central N.H
Detector(s) used
36" BGT Prospector, 30" BGT Sniper, And related gold prospecting equipment
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
" Banner" Plus A Beauty of a rock. Can you let a few of us borrow it. So we can plant it in the yard. To get the wifes interested.

tokameel

May 20, 2012
Mequon, Wi
Detector(s) used
In 1974- White.
Now a Garrett Ace 250.
8/30/12 using a Zircon m40 Stud Finder as a hand held pin pointer.
Primary Interest:
Other
YO Don't break that apart Its worth far more than gold as a specimen. What a rare and valuable find I would say 3K to 4K on this gem

What excellent advice! I am not a gold monger, but if I was ever put in that situation, I would have torn it up. Thanks

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions