Cutting trees on claim

mikep691

Aug 6, 2015
Northeastern Sierra's
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Clay can likely explain it better, but I believe you can cut some trees for use in mining operations, but not for personal use. You could also stop by the forest service office and purchase woodcutting permits.
read their rules, then go to it.

oneguy

Aug 26, 2015
Montana
Detector(s) used
2 Goldmonsters, SDC 2300
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If dead all you need is a wood permit....standing green timber they'll make a fuss I'm sure of it and just about bet you'll have to do a Poo or Noi or similar crap.....?????

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Blm here lets us cut brush and burn on blm during burn season. Forest service probably isn't into that..

Trees are a different story. Even standing dead ones. fifty years ago you wouldn't have to wonder if you can cut down a dead tree..

Not sure if its the same in all N.F. but here you can only collect wood in designated areas with your permit as well.

I have more free firewood than I can shake a stick at :laughing7: So, I don't know what may have changed recently.

Though will all the bark beetle trees they're dropping..they may let you take what you want in someplaces. However they frown on wood leaving the county now too. They even have a billboard on hwy 50 telling you to not bring firewood in from other areas.

Bejay

Bronze Member
Mar 10, 2014
Central Oregon Coast
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT
Garret fully underwater
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Technically you can cut down live trees and use the material for mining. The USFS often has a different approach in such considerations. Dead trees can/may be considered a safety issue and thus you can escape any justifiable intrusion by the surface management agency. Unless of course the tree has been observed to be necessary habitat for an endangered listed species. I often use the term: "fire hazard removal", and have not had any problems with the USFS; and then use the wood for firewood on the claim. I have obtained a "fire wood permit" and removed the wood from the claim at times.

Bejay

mikep691

Aug 6, 2015
Northeastern Sierra's
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Technically you can cut down live trees and use the material for mining. The USFS often has a different approach in such considerations. Dead trees can/may be considered a safety issue and thus you can escape any justifiable intrusion by the surface management agency. Unless of course the tree has been observed to be necessary habitat for an endangered listed species. I often use the term: "fire hazard removal", and have not had any problems with the USFS; and then use the wood for firewood on the claim. I have obtained a "fire wood permit" and removed the wood from the claim at times.

Bejay

That's basically what we do on our claim Bejay. Dead standing, widow makers, anything that could be a problem later gets cut for firewood, but there's always that one lazy person that just steals our wood....

RichieRich

Mar 25, 2013
Meridian Id
Detector(s) used
Minelab SE, AT Pro Gold, White's IDX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Anyone know what the rules are for cutting trees on your claim?

I have 1 or 2 trees that are dead with completely bare branches I would like to get rid of.

Thanks

Part of it may depend on your plan of action that you filed.

mendoAu

Apr 23, 2014
SW Oregon
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Oregon on a fed. blm mining site here. Just to be on the safe side (there are alot of places you can cut for firewood but not needled trees, ...madrone and oak...O.K.) I contact the local boss at blm to request someone to come out and approve removal of "hazardous" trees. No matter how small or 150 foot Doug Firs if a tree poises a safety hazard to the mining site, structures or access it should be approved for removal. If (at least in my case) you will cut it and use the wood for perhaps cribbing for your new washplant or "on property" fire wood it will usually be a wash with BLM. Sales is a NO-NO. In other words, use some caution yellow tape and mark the trees to be removed and call BLM. I recently marked about 14 trees, mostly beetle dead 100+ doug firs ( looked like a scene of a crime....HA!) and got approved to wrack all those puppies down. Now don't take me wrong, the old "just cut em down" theory is right up my ally....but doing things that you are empowered to legally do has a special feeling to it and just might get you a bit tighter with your BLM personnel. And remember, no matter how you try to "hide" a freshly cut tree.....a tree guy in either a green or white truck with stuff printed on the doors will know.

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oregon on a fed. blm mining site here. Just to be on the safe side (there are alot of places you can cut for firewood but not needled trees, ...madrone and oak...O.K.) I contact the local boss at blm to request someone to come out and approve removal of "hazardous" trees. No matter how small or 150 foot Doug Firs if a tree poises a safety hazard to the mining site, structures or access it should be approved for removal. If (at least in my case) you will cut it and use the wood for perhaps cribbing for your new washplant or "on property" fire wood it will usually be a wash with BLM. Sales is a NO-NO. In other words, use some caution yellow tape and mark the trees to be removed and call BLM. I recently marked about 14 trees, mostly beetle dead 100+ doug firs ( looked like a scene of a crime....HA!) and got approved to wrack all those puppies down. Now don't take me wrong, the old "just cut em down" theory is right up my ally....but doing things that you are empowered to legally do has a special feeling to it and just might get you a bit tighter with your BLM personnel. And remember, no matter how you try to "hide" a freshly cut tree.....a tree guy in either a green or white truck with stuff printed on the doors will know.

Funny. here we can't even look at an oak wrong.

I am not "supposed" to drop oaks bigger than five inches on my own land without approval.

Had an arborist out three months ago. Said every Ponderosa I have will be dead in ten years.

I have to get a "property" conversion permit from Cal Fire before I can deal with that.

Companies that paid stumpage used to be easy to find.

With all the bark beetle kills and post wild fire harvest. No one is buying trees anymore unless your on like fifty plus with a lot of trees.

I had twenty seven of them that would make great lumber They'll end up as fire wood it's sad

I don't think anyone really knows how this bark beetle issue is gonna end up. There are so many trees dying.

Last edited:

placertogo

Aug 25, 2010
Maine USA
Like any field of endeavor, you have to have a reasonable explanation. In Maine, we are now limited to motorized equipment between June 15th and September 15th for Prospecting. Also, certain streams are off limits to Prospecting. So I leave my gold pans at home, take my DeWalt cordless vacuum and extra batteries, along with a bucket labeled “TRASH” and vacuum the cracks in the bedrock above water line. I have been asked by wardens what I am doing. “Cleaning up trash and cigarette butts along the stream bank, Officer.” End of story.

mendoAu

Apr 23, 2014
SW Oregon
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Bark beetles are a scourge of the west coast. One day it's one dead/dying Doug fir and a couple years later two or more trees at every side are dying. It's a shame cause I could build a couple of real nice cabins and help out the community with all that lumber....but OH NO....save those trees for the "next generation". Don't they understand that the next generation might just like a nice cabin in the woods instead of a tinder box just hoping/waiting for a match. There's still a couple of mills taking timber around here but one "infested" tree in the load and the price drops a ton. Plus....BLM does not allow you to sell timber/fire wood. Just one more subject I just ponder and basically just watch out for my own butt and feel a bit bad for the opportunities missed that should be utilized.
Gotta love that "Trash Removal" tool. Still smiling...........

Bonaro

Aug 9, 2004
Olympia WA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 70, Minelab SD 2200d, 2.5", 3", 4"and several Keene 5" production dredges, Knelson Centrifuge, Gold screw automatic panner
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
If you have to pay a fee, get a permit or ask permission to enjoy a Right then it is no longer a right, it is a privilege and subject to restriction or denial at the whim of the government...just sayin :dontknow:

Bejay

Bronze Member
Mar 10, 2014
Central Oregon Coast
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT
Garret fully underwater
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
More true if you study mining laws and the Granted Rights given miners. By the letter of the law (Grant) miners have the right to use the trees for mining purposes. In current instances it would require ok/approval of the land management agencies for the utilization of live trees.

Bejay

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread