Oct 11, 2015
Northern Nevada
Detector(s) used
MineLab GPZ 7000
Garrett ATX Pro
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Interesting set of circumstances.

A relative newcomer to the area came in and located a dozen claims about a year ago.

However when they located they sent the COL's and maps to the BLM but sent nothing to the county.

Turns out we would like to prospect on those 12 claims based on some information obtained through some old geologic reports.

I'm pretty sure of the answer but wanted to run this past the resident experts here.

Disregarding the moral question and strictly talking the Mining Law of 1872 if a locator fails to file a COL and map with the local county land office within 90 days of location the claim is defective is it not?

I assume the only way to fix the situation is to go back out and attach a new NOL (Notice of Location) to the monument.

What do you guys think?

Upvote 0

SaltwaterServr

Mar 20, 2015
Texas
Primary Interest:
Other
You have to file with the county for a claim to be valid.

I'll let Clay and folks sing in on this, they're more in tune with everything. I just like to dig holes in the desert and blow **** up.

Mad Machinist

Silver Member
Aug 18, 2010
Southeast Arizona
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
You have to file with the county for a claim to be valid.

I'll let Clay and folks sing in on this, they're more in tune with everything. I just like to dig holes in the desert and blow **** up.

If I remember right, it needs to be filed with the county to be valid. And who doesn't like blowing s**t up.

mikep691

Aug 6, 2015
Northeastern Sierra's
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We all know that BLM just loves our money, but even the claim NOL and maps going to them must have the county recordation on them when they send them to the BLM. If the claimant of these claims didn't record them in the county first, they are invalid. Maybe you can bring this to the BLM's attention, they might look into it faster than if nothing is said and figure it out on their own time schedule. BLM will likely void the claims. Since a claim that's not recorded isn't a valid claim, I'd make a discovery and file it proper in the county, then with BLM.

Slowtaknow

Oct 27, 2015
Kannapolis nc
Detector(s) used
Fisher f2, Tesoro vaquero, Nokta Simplex, Garrett Csi 250, whites gold master 2.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
that is after you file your claim.

Bejay

Bronze Member
Mar 10, 2014
Central Oregon Coast
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT
Garret fully underwater
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
The location is only valid if filed with the Land Office (County). The County recorder holds the "public record" of location. The BLM is merely a keeper of a "file" to deal with the assessment work and or payments such as maintenance etc. The location must be filed in a timely manner (allowing for mailing times etc). To check with the BLM for a file notification/payments must allow time for mailings.

In most instances the location record allows 90 days for it to happen. The BLM would then be notified and payments made.....I allow about a week for such things to occur. If no record; then no claim!

Bejay

winners58

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2013
Oregon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
some people will file with BLM first then use the mail to file with the county, it would be up to the locator to verify they where received.
I see some BLM registry filings missing county info, my guess this must be why they do not have the county # or record page listed?
use the county search function not just TRS, try name or look for intent to hold, affidavit of assessment, scroll through a date range of filings.
no public record, no claim

OP
OP
Rail Dawg

Rail Dawg

Oct 11, 2015
Northern Nevada
Detector(s) used
MineLab GPZ 7000
Garrett ATX Pro
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Well I was a dummy but lesson learned.

The current owner got the claim via a quitclaim meaning their name won't show up on a COL on the county records .

You'd think by now I would have figured that out but it's just another lesson in learning the puzzle of claim research.

Good input though from you guys. It's appreciated.

Chuck

hawkeye39

May 12, 2013
Surprise, AZ
Detector(s) used
TDI SL
Whites GMT
GB2
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Well I was a dummy but lesson learned.

The current owner got the claim via a quitclaim meaning their name won't show up on a COL on the county records .

You'd think by now I would have figured that out but it's just another lesson in learning the puzzle of claim research.

Good input though from you guys. It's appreciated.

Chuck

Just curious. How did you determine this? I assume their name will eventually show up on some County or BLM record.

OP
OP
Rail Dawg

Rail Dawg

Oct 11, 2015
Northern Nevada
Detector(s) used
MineLab GPZ 7000
Garrett ATX Pro
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Just curious. How did you determine this? I assume their name will eventually show up on some County or BLM record.

Good question!

I went to the county office and searched the Section, Township and Range then ask for all COL’s for that area.

The COL’s that turned up for my original post were for the previous owners.

They must have quitclaimed the claims over to the current owner.

Quitclaims sometimes aren’t viewable on the online database.

RobertF

Jan 19, 2011
Bakersfield, CA
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
At least with my local county, you can only search by a person's name, or the claim name. When I want to check claim status, I have to run both to confirm it hasn't been sold/transferred as I've come across the same as you did.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread