Prospecting on BLM that has recreational lease on it.

blackchipjim

Dec 25, 2016
ohio
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter time ranger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Upvote 0

winners58

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2013
Oregon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In Ohio, might have to ask BLM that question, might not fall under the mining laws,
could be lands that fall under other Act's that might require a prospecting/exploration permit.

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Recreational leases can give exclusive use rights to lease holders. These can include things like ski areas (think Vail or Breckenridge) or golf courses (there’s one on top of an old Placer mine near Keystone Ski Resort for example).

Last edited:

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You mean special use permit?

like ski resorts use on USFS land?

A lot of resorts have private base areas and the lifts and runs are fs special use permit areas.

They can prevent more than casual use.

Or are you referring to something different. On blm land not in the 12 western states that allow mining claim location?

rodoconnor

Bronze Member
Mar 4, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That might be amusing Kevin. Set up a drywash operation in the middle of the golf course ! LOL

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
You would have to read the terms of the lease to know what uses are allowed. As always, I suggest you start by downloading the Master Title Plat(s) for your area of interest so you can determine the land status there. Study the Serial Register Page Report on the LR2000. That should be enough to get you the basic answer to your question.

There are no BLM managed lands in Ohio nor are there any lands open to location there. If you have more details to share I might be able to help you more. A general question about land status tends to lead to general answers.

Heavy Pans

OP
OP
B

blackchipjim

Dec 25, 2016
ohio
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry for the generalization of the question but heh. So in Arizona there are horse trails and such in the area in question.I just ran a quick blm search and boom the areas that I want to prospect( recreational) is boxed by rec use squares on the blm site. I figuired Clay and others may have some quick answer or explanations of the leases. I have searched areas that were hang gliders areas but the lease had expired or so it was listed as such.

winners58

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2013
Oregon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
might try searching the Arizona resource management plans and check the discussion in the ROD for your area of interest.
(click current planning doc's at the bottom of page) ( I usually search by keywords some of these doc's are over 700 pages)
I know that they make Recreation corridors that limit mining to casual use, weeding through some of these planning documents
can take awhile, some require a POO for anything above casual use, others have only specific use,
leased trail areas might be open to casual use but travel might be restricted, etc...
might try talking to BLM after researching the area to see if there are any special closures and such.
just because an area is withdrawn doesn't necessarily mean you cant prospect.

OP
OP
B

blackchipjim

Dec 25, 2016
ohio
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks. I'm new at prospecting and just don't want to be a jerk much less come into your state and be one.⛏

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread