Well thats interesting!

Capt Nemo

Bronze Member
Apr 11, 2015
Oshkosh, WI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
While looking at map photos of the area I'm looking to prospect next summer, I noticed some dead patches of trees that were alive in other older photos. It's either disease, or a new volcanic gas seep. I sent off a email to USGS/AVO to go have a look. If it's a new seep, I'll have to bring along air monitors and possibly respirators, as I'm allergic to sulfur. (Few too many years breathing pyro smokes) If it's the start of a new volcano, it's going to suck for mining in the Talkeetna's. If you have claims in the Peter's, Willow, or Purches Creek area, you may want to start mining them hard.

We'll see what USGS says...

Upvote 0

akflyer

Jun 29, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You are really making a great case against yourself. Ever wonder how the great Alaskan everyone helps everyone attitude gets changed?? Its easy, have someone devote their time and energy into getting out of doing the right thing and trying to pillage the land and not be held accountable.

That land is not sitting on an active volcano, the state wont really be to happy with being told to go F itself. Good luck in your quest, you can now add yourself to the list of out of state terrorists (not tourist) that wont be getting much help from the locals.

OP
OP
Capt Nemo

Capt Nemo

Bronze Member
Apr 11, 2015
Oshkosh, WI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What's the point of permits when the whole countryside is going to be destroyed by a volcano? If it goes, you loose the trees, the moose, the fish, and everything else. So why worry about trying to save it. (that's what the permits try to do) It's use it, or loose it!

akflyer

Jun 29, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What's the point of permits when the whole countryside is going to be destroyed by a volcano? If it goes, you loose the trees, the moose, the fish, and everything else. So why worry about trying to save it. (that's what the permits try to do) It's use it, or loose it!

your beginning to show a bit of a lack of knowledge here. Hatchers area is not an active volcano. Enjoy yourself, you have a much better chance of getting taken out by a bear or pissed off moose than you do from gasses or a volcano. Once again, I am certain that google pictures contain much more knowledge than the locals that are in the area...

et1955

Jan 10, 2015
Shoreline,wa
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
It is just a fault line in the area, volcanos no, except the big one about a hundred miles up. Plate tectonics is the answer to the earthquakes, being you are from the east you don't understand plate tectonics and volcanos, I live near 3 of them here in the pacific northwest. Get your permits, no excuse using a possible fear that a volcano may suddenly appear were you are going to mine. Fear is the mind killer, enjoy your trip

oneguy

Aug 26, 2015
Montana
Detector(s) used
2 Goldmonsters, SDC 2300
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Listen to the locals like AKflyer...they KNOW. I've worked up there and that ground is always shaking up there...nothing new. Like mentioned, biggest danger will be moose, bear, and misquitoes…...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread