Just got into panning, I have some questions

daworm

Tenderfoot
Oct 28, 2018
Michigan
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hi everyone,
Last week my wife bought me a Garrett's gold panning kit. She also bought me some paydirt off the web. Well I'm hooked. She's been talking about going Colorado for years. I think she knew I would get hooked, so she could have an excuse to go there.

A couple questions. What company sells the best paydirt online? I live in the UP of Michigan and from what I seen, there is really no gold up here.
While panning, are the ridges in the pan useful? It seems more useful going slow on the smooth side of the pan.

i guess I'm going to surprise my wife with a trip out to Colorado. I've seen someone post about a prospecting book for Colorado. Does anyone have any tips for panning out there?

Thank you

Upvote 0

A#1

Feb 18, 2018
Traverse City, Michigan
Primary Interest:
Other
Well, i aint no pro, and aint in the UP.

I'm down by Traverse city.

I can tell you, that yes, the ridges are useful. Your garrett pan will work well speed panning things down for you.

I can also say, I have found gold everywhere I've looked across the northern lower. Not much, and only flakes. but everywhere. Down side is the best places are actually against the law to pan. Usually because they're designated as trout streams. I was kinda working backwards, I found the gold, then the law.....oops

Get yourself a magnifying headset, the gold is tiny till you start recognize it.

You have to process a lot of material to et anywhere. I use a recirculating LeTrap sluice too and after doing about 40 gallons of material over the summer, I'm up to about 30 flakes.

Like you....I wanna go somewhere better, lol

Good luck

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
The book is “Finding Gold in Colorado” by Kevin Singel (me). It takes you straight to any of 186 public, unclaimable dig sites you can enjoy. Learn more on Amazon, at miningbooks.com or of course findinggoldincolorado.com

Last edited:

Bronze Member
May 26, 2011
tujunga ca
Detector(s) used
xlt mxt gmz and now a gmt whites
just buy a little gold and save shipping on the dirt.
good luck brad

arizau

Bronze Member
May 2, 2014
AZ
Detector(s) used
Beach High Banker, Sweep Jig, Whippet Dry Washer, Lobo ST, 1/2 width 2 tray Gold Cube, numerous pans, rocker box, and home made fluid bed and stream sluices.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
There are many, many youtube videos about how to pan and use the ridges molded into them. Save everything in your bag of paydirt as you can mix it back up and pan it over and over again....Practice makes perfect.

Good luck and welcome to the forum.

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi everyone...
tn_md.gif
I noticed this was your very first post - so, Welcome Aboard Daworm! Take a look at Forum: Michigan for information (i.e., clubs, etc.) directly related to your state.

N-Lionberger

Bronze Member
Dec 1, 2013
Arcata, California
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1212-x
Fisher Gold Bug 2
Whites 4900/SP3
Dowsing rods
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
As an avid steel pan operator I must say the cheater riffles are overrated.

Laz7777

Dec 19, 2015
South Fork Yuba River, Motherlode
Detector(s) used
GoldBug II
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
the riffles work best when there's a large amount of material. then shift to a smooth area to finish.
N-....do you cook in your steel pan? also, I was told by a steel-pan-man that plastic pans have no soul. do you think yours will go to heaven when it passes too? ;)

N-Lionberger

Bronze Member
Dec 1, 2013
Arcata, California
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1212-x
Fisher Gold Bug 2
Whites 4900/SP3
Dowsing rods
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I cook the water off my concentrates with my steel pan, for my food I prefer a cast iron pan. I think there might a difference between "having soul" and "having a soul" I'm probably wrong though.

Capt Nemo

Bronze Member
Apr 11, 2015
Oshkosh, WI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There's plenty of gold in da yoop! Hit the beaches from Marquette to Whitefish Point.

Panman

Sep 8, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Check out if there are any mining clubs where you're going and contact them. For the best pay dirt, you can go on line to Paydirtreviews and they rate all the different companies that sell pay dirt.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread