Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree36Likes

Thread: Wanting to sluice along the Alcan Highway to Alaska

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    Live to Hunt

Oct 2014
    Elbe, Washington
    Fisher F2 with Garrett Propointer
    9 times
    Prospecting

Wanting to sluice along the Alcan Highway to Alaska

Hi Gang,

My girl and I are going to drive up to Alaska from Seattle on the Alcan highway this summer. I've done quite a bit of prospecting but because of space limitations I just want to bring two small sluices. I just want to work a claim for a few days, nothing major, old fashion shovel and classifier.

Can I just rent a claim for those days, should I work a public spot? How do I go about accomplishing my goal.

Thanks everyone,

Zig
    winners58 likes this.

us
    May 2014
    AZ
    Sweep Jig, Whippet Dry Washer, Lobo ST, 1/2 width 2 tray Gold Cube, numerous pans, rocker box, and /home made fluid bed and stream sluices.
    2749 times
    Prospecting
    There is a Canadian gold prospecting forum and may be a better place to ask your questions about prospecting along the highway before you enter Alaska. Here is a google link where you can find it...our forum rules say not to link it: https://www.google.com/search?q=cana...hrome&ie=UTF-8
    Last edited by arizau; Feb 08, 2019 at 04:38 PM.
    standard8 and Ziggenation like this.
    If it can't be grown, it must be mined!

Make America Great Again

Apr 2013
    Oregon
    3600 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    I thought they had a no discharge into any stream rule in the province of British Columbia?
    so it might be wise to look into their rules and regulations.
    might look at areas after you cross into Alaska.
    Last edited by winners58; Feb 08, 2019 at 05:23 PM.
    arizau and Ziggenation like this.
    " A pessimist is an optimist with experience "

us
    May 2014
    AZ
    Sweep Jig, Whippet Dry Washer, Lobo ST, 1/2 width 2 tray Gold Cube, numerous pans, rocker box, and /home made fluid bed and stream sluices.
    2749 times
    Prospecting
    Yeah. I forgot about that. B.C. at least does not allow instream sluices.
    winners58 likes this.
    If it can't be grown, it must be mined!

us
    captain

Dec 2016
    ohio
    bounty hunter time ranger
    179 times
    If I may ask a question off subject a bit. I heard that the Alcan highway can be dangerous due to unsavory characters that prey on travelers. Is that true or bull feathers?
    Hoser John and Goldwasher like this.

us
    May 2009
    Sailor Flat, Ca.
    SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, ACME handbook for TRUE prospectors (unread)
    11252 times
    Banner Finds (1)
    Quote Originally Posted by blackchipjim View Post
    If I may ask a question off subject a bit. I heard that the Alcan highway can be dangerous due to unsavory characters that prey on travelers. Is that true or bull feathers?

I've done it twice. Early in the season late April once. Early May the other time.

First time was four nineteen year olds in a Chevy Blazer. Best trip EVER!!First night instant legal age to drink in a bar. Since its twenty one in the states.

Our sirst stop was somewhere along the Frasier River. Learned what Loonies and Twoonies were. Gas and cigarettes were insanely expensive. Compared to what we were used to paying.

Second Time we came in through Alberta. Two roomates and my girlfriend.
    We split up after snowboarding in Banff for a few days.

Hitting secluded towns with just my girlfriend, being some of the first few travelers other than trucks running the Alcan for the season.

Some of the most unnerving times I've ever had.
    I felt like if anything was gonna go down. The whole town was gonna be in on it.

Beautiful county. But, on both trips at most time 90 mph wasn't fast enough.

Oh yea. You can't sluice the whole way..
    Last edited by Goldwasher; Feb 08, 2019 at 10:10 PM.

us
    Author of a book about finding gold in Colorado

Jan 2012
    Summit County, Colorado
    Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with Banker on top, Bazooka Goldtrap sluices, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
    10318 times
    Prospecting
    Last summer my wife and I drove the whole Alaska Highway. I panned for a while in the Coal River after getting permission from the local land owner which is the Coal River Cafe (where we had lunch). A bear came down to the river to see how we were doing, that was a bit exciting but my wife (!) scared it off

We did an 11 week trip up to AK and the Yukon with our travel trailer. I prospected in 17 different spots. Fun times and a couple/few spots produced pickers with just pan and sluice and Gold Cube.

us
    Live to Hunt

Oct 2014
    Elbe, Washington
    Fisher F2 with Garrett Propointer
    9 times
    Prospecting
    Thanks for all the info everyone. It sounds like sluicing in Alaska is my best option.
    KevinInColorado likes this.

us
    Feb 2015
    Moses Lake WA & Provo UT
    443 times
    Prospecting
    Quote Originally Posted by Ziggenation View Post
    Thanks for all the info everyone. It sounds like sluicing in Alaska is my best option.
    I think so. I'm pretty sure in Canada you have to get a prospecting license to do anything and I bet they don't get issued to foreigners as easily. Just like in the US it's not legal for non-citizens to prospect if it's not on private land or a claim they have permission for.
    et1955 likes this.

Jun 2017
    141 times
    I have driven the Alcan many many times winter and summer. I never had any issues with the locals or felt unsafe. The only locals that ever gave me trouble was the wildlife trying to commit suicide at 2am in front of me when I was pulling a 14k load.. Gotta watch the bison and the caribou, neither one seem to have much respect for heavy loaded vehicles with limited stopping power!

us
    Feb 2010
    Kenai, Alaska
    Fisher GB II. Whites GM II.
    312 times
    Akflyers experiences mirror my own. Many trips both directions and folks have always been great. Never an issue.
    akflyer, et1955 and Clay Diggins like this.

us
    Author of a book about finding gold in Colorado

Jan 2012
    Summit County, Colorado
    Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with Banker on top, Bazooka Goldtrap sluices, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
    10318 times
    Prospecting
    Quote Originally Posted by OwenT View Post
    I think so. I'm pretty sure in Canada you have to get a prospecting license to do anything and I bet they don't get issued to foreigners as easily. Just like in the US it's not legal for non-citizens to prospect if it's not on private land or a claim they have permission for.
    Happily I think the rules are a bit better than this. Check online on the websites of each province you’ll visit to get the facts.

Also, in the US, non-citizens can prospect, they just can’t file a claim...right?
    et1955 and 63bkpkr like this.

us
    May 2009
    Sailor Flat, Ca.
    SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, ACME handbook for TRUE prospectors (unread)
    11252 times
    Banner Finds (1)
    Want to mention it wasnt like freaky or scary the whole time. and this was in 1997 and 2000

If I was alone or was traveling later in the season with my girlfriend I would have felt better.

It was early season and the only other vehicles were trucks and locals.

In one remote area of B.C. we had a bit of a tense stop for food and gas with some creepy locals. Approaching my girlfriend and talking crap to me. It put me on alert the rest of the trip.

I've always wanted to do it mid season as a tourist.

considering I've only done it traveling for work.
    63bkpkr likes this.

Mar 2013
    61 times
    Why would you leave gold to find gold? Plenty in Washington, Oregon, and Idaho. It won't be any better in Alaska. The grass is not greener over the septic tank LOL! What would you do if you find gold in Canada? I had two buddies that worked in the Yukon for 4 summers. First year they were stopped at the border comming back and were fleeced quite well!!! Got about half their gold confiscated!!! Next three years they hiked for 3 or 4 days across into Alaska and sent the majority of their gold home by Fedex!!!! Last I checked the population of the Yukon territory was 30,000 humans and about 4 million bears

Mar 2016
    1990 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Mitch Dickson View Post
    Why would you leave gold to find gold? Plenty in Washington, Oregon, and Idaho. It won't be any better in Alaska. The grass is not greener over the septic tank LOL! What would you do if you find gold in Canada? I had two buddies that worked in the Yukon for 4 summers. First year they were stopped at the border comming back and were fleeced quite well!!! Got about half their gold confiscated!!! Next three years they hiked for 3 or 4 days across into Alaska and sent the majority of their gold home by Fedex!!!! Last I checked the population of the Yukon territory was 30,000 humans and about 4 million bears
    There was an interesting write up I found awhile back written by Dave McCracken, of the “New 49’ers” prospecting club, that documented a summer prospecting in B.C. and Alaska.
    Anybody remember that one? I didn’t see it on his web site. Maybe someone could provide a link?
    All treasures found with permission on private property or on active mining claims.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links