Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree28Likes

Thread: Wondering if these are gold specimens or crushing and panning worthy

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    Jan 2016
    South of Gunnison, Gold Basin
    F2
    1940 times
    Prospecting
    I've crushed and panned ALOT of leavitrite over the years and never a speck. I need to narrow my searches a little better than carrying all leavitrite back home and crushing the same stuff hehe.
    Many times I thought I really had something! Depressing! I thought for sure...!

Since then I've learned the gold ore pretty much looks the opposite of what I guessed, at least around here. I look for the ugly rocks now.
    wildminer likes this.

Mar 2016
    2446 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    I love these threads where people ask for advice then never check back.
    Bejay and arizau like this.
    All treasures found with permission on private property or on active mining claims.

us
    Jan 2016
    F2
    1940 times
    Prospecting
    I love it when they post a pic of a rock and ask if its gold ore Hahagaga.
    If YOU dont know, then how the eff will I know by looking at a picture?
    Bejay and TAKODA like this.

us
    Jan 2016
    F2
    1940 times
    Prospecting
    I love it when they post a pic of a rock and ask if its gold ore Hahagaga.
    If YOU dont know, then how the eff will I know by looking at a picture?
    Bejay likes this.

us
    Brian

Mar 2014
    Central Oregon Coast
    Whites GMT Garret fully underwater
    2302 times
    Prospecting
    Generally speaking one can research a little about the gold found in the area and then research what type of ore carries the gold. Then if and when you see that typical ore sample, you can further utilize a loop and inspect it for visible gold. Then if you really feel it deserves crushing you can "have at it". But if he asks the question and never checks back, I'll bet he crushed it and found zilch....which answered his own question!

Bejay
    Goldwasher likes this.

Mar 2016
    2446 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Bejay View Post
    Generally speaking one can research a little about the gold found in the area and then research what type of ore carries the gold. Then if and when you see that typical ore sample, you can further utilize a loop and inspect it for visible gold. Then if you really feel it deserves crushing you can "have at it". But if he asks the question and never checks back, I'll bet he crushed it and found zilch....which answered his own question!

Bejay
    Then again if you found a piece of ore, there would be no need to crush it to find out if it’s ore, now would you? Same thing goes for a gold specimen.

Maybe the answer should have been something to the effect that gold specimen rock is generally far more valuable than crushed gold. Better to leave it as is and gather as much of the gold specimens as possible and stockpile them as a sort of savings.
    Last edited by IMAUDIGGER; Feb 28, 2019 at 06:03 PM.
    All treasures found with permission on private property or on active mining claims.

us
    Brian

Mar 2014
    Central Oregon Coast
    Whites GMT Garret fully underwater
    2302 times
    Prospecting
    Quote Originally Posted by IMAUDIGGER View Post
    Then again if you found a piece of ore, there would be no need to crush it to find out if it’s ore, now would you? Same thing goes for a gold specimen.

Maybe the answer should have been something to the effect that gold specimen rock is generally far more valuable than crushed gold. Better to leave it as is and gather as much of the gold specimens as possible and stockpile them as a sort of savings.
    Of course there is no doubt a gold specimen is more valuable intact than crushed. But if one can't visibly see the gold in ore I doubt if it would be worth a hoot! I have spent a lot of time picking up ore (rocks) that are characteristic of the ore mined in an area. I have spent endless hours looking at each and every one with my loop....both in the field and back at my camp. If and when I see the tiniest speck with my loop I do an initial crush...breaking it into smaller pieces....then I examine it further. Depending on the amount of visible gold one can determine if it is a piece worthy of keeping intact or crushing further.

I don't know many miners who would crush a piece of gold ore that had significant gold showing.
    So no doubt you are correct per that regard.

Mar 2016
    2446 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Bejay View Post
    Of course there is no doubt a gold specimen is more valuable intact than crushed. But if one can't visibly see the gold in ore I doubt if it would be worth a hoot! I have spent a lot of time picking up ore (rocks) that are characteristic of the ore mined in an area. I have spent endless hours looking at each and every one with my loop....both in the field and back at my camp. If and when I see the tiniest speck with my loop I do an initial crush...breaking it into smaller pieces....then I examine it further. Depending on the amount of visible gold one can determine if it is a piece worthy of keeping intact or crushing further.

I don't know many miners who would crush a piece of gold ore that had significant gold showing.
    So no doubt you are correct per that regard.
    My silly point being it’s just an interesting rock until it’s crushed and shows paying minerals.

Yellow looking rocks are not gold specimens and rocks that look similiar to paying deposits are not ore.
    They are just extremely common rocks. I.E vein material that shows mineralization from the earth’s crust.

I’ve crushed rocks that had zero visible gold under magnification and find out it’s actually ore when it’s panned out.
    Last edited by IMAUDIGGER; Feb 28, 2019 at 09:50 PM.

us
    May 2009
    Sailor Flat, Ca.
    SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, ACME handbook for TRUE prospectors (unread)
    11614 times
    Banner Finds (1)
    I was just wondering where the specimens are?

I see rocks.

Even with good visible gold showing in matrix.

A premium can be hard to achieve. On the market.

Collectors don't just want rocks with some gold in them.

One of the first thing an experienced mineral specimen dealer will ask.

"Is it just highgrade?" Why? Because they don't want to be the ones to have to crush it. To be able to sell it.

Gotta be relatively unique to not have crushing be the best way to get money out of rock.
    Bejay and TAKODA like this.

Mar 2016
    2446 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Goldwasher View Post
    I was just wondering where the specimens are?

I see rocks.

Even with good visible gold showing in matrix.

A premium can be hard to achieve. On the market.

Collectors don't just want rocks with some gold in them.

One of the first thing an experienced mineral specimen dealer will ask.

"Is it just highgrade?" Why? Because they don't want to be the ones to have to crush it. To be able to sell it.

Gotta be relatively unique to not have crushing be the best way to get money out of rock.
    In my experience, high grade ore which is heavily laced with gold is easily sold for above spot, then resold for significantly more. Commercial mines are not turning out bulk pocket gold like this. Crushed gold seems to be worth less than placer gold and is more difficult to sell. Melting it down makes it even less desirable as most people would be selling that to a refiner. Probably be getting 80% spot for crushed or melted gold.

I’m not a big seller and have a bunch of experience, but that seems to be how it works.
    In my opinion, the rocks pictured appear to be leavarite
    Last edited by IMAUDIGGER; Mar 01, 2019 at 11:53 AM.

Mar 2016
    2446 times
    Here is an example of some high grade pocket gold.
    I don’t think any of it was considered actual specimen gold per say.
    If it had been crushed it would have destroyed a bunch of the value. Careful acid treatment preserved the value. Back in the day ALL of this would be crushed and melted.

I consider specimen gold to be a very unique and uncommon looking piece.
    The gold in this video is just high grade pocket gold. Similiar to what Goldwasher shared not that long ago.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=JhUZh-1iKpE
    Nice gold Matt.
    Last edited by IMAUDIGGER; Mar 01, 2019 at 11:59 AM.

us
    May 2009
    Sailor Flat, Ca.
    SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, ACME handbook for TRUE prospectors (unread)
    11614 times
    Banner Finds (1)
    of course you wouldn't crush any of those.

Thats not the kind of high grade I'm talking about.

Most of that would also be considered elluvial nuggets. They are cool but, character wise they are a little worn.

Not the same command of value as crystalized un worn pocket specimens.
    Bejay likes this.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Remove Ads

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links