IMG_20190226_032241.jpg
    686.5 KB · Views: 101
Upvote 0

IMAUDIGGER

Silver Member
Mar 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Generally speaking one can research a little about the gold found in the area and then research what type of ore carries the gold. Then if and when you see that typical ore sample, you can further utilize a loop and inspect it for visible gold. Then if you really feel it deserves crushing you can "have at it". But if he asks the question and never checks back, I'll bet he crushed it and found zilch....which answered his own question!

Bejay

Then again if you found a piece of ore, there would be no need to crush it to find out if it’s ore, now would you? Same thing goes for a gold specimen.

Maybe the answer should have been something to the effect that gold specimen rock is generally far more valuable than crushed gold. Better to leave it as is and gather as much of the gold specimens as possible and stockpile them as a sort of savings.

Last edited:

Bejay

Bronze Member
Mar 10, 2014
Central Oregon Coast
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT
Garret fully underwater
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Then again if you found a piece of ore, there would be no need to crush it to find out if it’s ore, now would you? Same thing goes for a gold specimen.

Maybe the answer should have been something to the effect that gold specimen rock is generally far more valuable than crushed gold. Better to leave it as is and gather as much of the gold specimens as possible and stockpile them as a sort of savings.

Of course there is no doubt a gold specimen is more valuable intact than crushed. But if one can't visibly see the gold in ore I doubt if it would be worth a hoot! I have spent a lot of time picking up ore (rocks) that are characteristic of the ore mined in an area. I have spent endless hours looking at each and every one with my loop....both in the field and back at my camp. If and when I see the tiniest speck with my loop I do an initial crush...breaking it into smaller pieces....then I examine it further. Depending on the amount of visible gold one can determine if it is a piece worthy of keeping intact or crushing further.

I don't know many miners who would crush a piece of gold ore that had significant gold showing.
So no doubt you are correct per that regard.

IMAUDIGGER

Silver Member
Mar 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Of course there is no doubt a gold specimen is more valuable intact than crushed. But if one can't visibly see the gold in ore I doubt if it would be worth a hoot! I have spent a lot of time picking up ore (rocks) that are characteristic of the ore mined in an area. I have spent endless hours looking at each and every one with my loop....both in the field and back at my camp. If and when I see the tiniest speck with my loop I do an initial crush...breaking it into smaller pieces....then I examine it further. Depending on the amount of visible gold one can determine if it is a piece worthy of keeping intact or crushing further.

I don't know many miners who would crush a piece of gold ore that had significant gold showing.
So no doubt you are correct per that regard.

My silly point being it’s just an interesting rock until it’s crushed and shows paying minerals.

Yellow looking rocks are not gold specimens and rocks that look similiar to paying deposits are not ore.
They are just extremely common rocks. I.E vein material that shows mineralization from the earth’s crust.

I’ve crushed rocks that had zero visible gold under magnification and find out it’s actually ore when it’s panned out.

Last edited:

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was just wondering where the specimens are?

I see rocks.

Even with good visible gold showing in matrix.

A premium can be hard to achieve. On the market.

Collectors don't just want rocks with some gold in them.

One of the first thing an experienced mineral specimen dealer will ask.

"Is it just highgrade?" Why? Because they don't want to be the ones to have to crush it. To be able to sell it.

Gotta be relatively unique to not have crushing be the best way to get money out of rock.

IMAUDIGGER

Silver Member
Mar 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was just wondering where the specimens are?

I see rocks.

Even with good visible gold showing in matrix.

A premium can be hard to achieve. On the market.

Collectors don't just want rocks with some gold in them.

One of the first thing an experienced mineral specimen dealer will ask.

"Is it just highgrade?" Why? Because they don't want to be the ones to have to crush it. To be able to sell it.

Gotta be relatively unique to not have crushing be the best way to get money out of rock.

In my experience, high grade ore which is heavily laced with gold is easily sold for above spot, then resold for significantly more. Commercial mines are not turning out bulk pocket gold like this. Crushed gold seems to be worth less than placer gold and is more difficult to sell. Melting it down makes it even less desirable as most people would be selling that to a refiner. Probably be getting 80% spot for crushed or melted gold.

I’m not a big seller and have a bunch of experience, but that seems to be how it works.
In my opinion, the rocks pictured appear to be leavarite

Last edited:

IMAUDIGGER

Silver Member
Mar 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here is an example of some high grade pocket gold.
I don’t think any of it was considered actual specimen gold per say.
If it had been crushed it would have destroyed a bunch of the value. Careful acid treatment preserved the value. Back in the day ALL of this would be crushed and melted.

I consider specimen gold to be a very unique and uncommon looking piece.
The gold in this video is just high grade pocket gold. Similiar to what Goldwasher shared not that long ago.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=JhUZh-1iKpE
Nice gold Matt.

Last edited:

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
of course you wouldn't crush any of those.

Thats not the kind of high grade I'm talking about.

Most of that would also be considered elluvial nuggets. They are cool but, character wise they are a little worn.

Not the same command of value as crystalized un worn pocket specimens.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread