Bronze Member
Mar 10, 2014
Central Oregon Coast
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT
Garret fully underwater
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
On the other thread about using a small excavator; it was mentioned that you could fly some of the smaller ones in. A good friend and mining buddy used to be a hard rock lode miner and he was telling me that he would/could float a 5 inch dredge down onto his placer claim below my claim. There is no way he could float a 5 inch dredge 1/2 mile down this small creek. But he assured me he could easily do it. Rather than argue with him I let it go in one ear and out the other.

Later as it got closer to the time to start dredging & we had some more discussions, he told me he had floated a jeep into his hard rock mine many years ago; and the USFS could not figure out how he had done it.....there was NO Creek.

Long story short....he uses helium balloons. Can't be windy and there has to be clear overhead...but he assured me he has done it often. So when he said he would float his dredge down the small creek; he meant he would float it with helium balloons attached. ANYONE ELSE EVER DONE THIS?

Bejay

Last edited:
Upvote 0

et1955

Jan 10, 2015
Shoreline,wa
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
very interesting, 1 cubic ft. of helium can lift 28.2 grams, from what I read a 100 ft. diameter balloon can lift 33,000 lbs. thus moving a car or dredge possible

N-Lionberger

Bronze Member
Dec 1, 2013
Arcata, California
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1212-x
Fisher Gold Bug 2
Whites 4900/SP3
Dowsing rods
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Harness up a dredge with all the related stuff to a weather balloon, inflate until its floating reasonably well and casually walk it down to the claim genious!

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Mythbusters

I looked for floating cars. thats when the probably fake videos kick in.

One of those. You CAN do its, that is also a very expensive could you do its?

I say floating in with a helicopter is probably cheaper and probably a little more controllable :laughing7:

I was thinking it would be cool on a small scale say for a few hundred pounds... But you would still need a bunch of balloons

Considering it will cost about 100 to 130 bucks to fill 55 9" baloons

Or a bajillion of those party balloon fillers at $20 bucks a pop.

I say maybe an Alpaca :tongue3:

Last edited:

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XLT, GMT, 6000D Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Military Surplus is always fun to look at but their prices are high even if the price includes shipping, I've purchased the 'Fat 50' can for less in San Diego IMHO.............63bkpkr

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread