Mine Shaft

Mine Shaft

Apr 11, 2017
Fontana, California
Detector(s) used
NA
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thank you okbasspro, we went up yesterday to look at a area between 2 large claims that is claimable but the 4 miles in will be to hard on my buddies ford explorer its a 4x4 no less but one mile in is on this guys claim. Thank you again, good luck in the field.

goldenmojo

Bronze Member
Dec 9, 2013
N. California
Detector(s) used
Bazooka Prospector-Sniper-Supermini Thanks Todd & Chris, Goldhog Multisluice Thanks Doc, My Land Matters Thanks Claydiggins, 6 Senses
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I know of one person that got permission from a claim owner to prospect. He looked up the claim and owners info on the LR2000 and got permission. Easier than that you can look it up on MyLandMatters which has claim info and more.

OP
OP
Mine Shaft

Mine Shaft

Apr 11, 2017
Fontana, California
Detector(s) used
NA
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
You can park and camp on the guys claim without permission. Like if you need to hike in to the other open spot.
The easiest way in is to park at the trail head his claim, and go to the open spot but as mentioned its a bad road last three miles. I panned my cons today 3 hours sluicing not one spec lol. But one mile in last week 1.5 hours sluicing came up with 6 flakes and my buddy came up with 20. I will be going to a new spot next week i will post my findings.

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
How do you contact them, look up the info online and then send them a letter? No way to get a phone number instead?

Correct. Send a letter.

goldenmojo

Bronze Member
Dec 9, 2013
N. California
Detector(s) used
Bazooka Prospector-Sniper-Supermini Thanks Todd & Chris, Goldhog Multisluice Thanks Doc, My Land Matters Thanks Claydiggins, 6 Senses
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
The easiest way in is to park at the trail head his claim, and go to the open spot but as mentioned its a bad road last three miles. I panned my cons today 3 hours sluicing not one spec lol. But one mile in last week 1.5 hours sluicing came up with 6 flakes and my buddy came up with 20. I will be going to a new spot next week i will post my findings.

You might want to try sampling with a pan before you set up a sluice. If you find good color then it makes it worth shoveling. If not find another spot.

roconnor

Tenderfoot
Mar 8, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When you send a letter include a stamped, self addressed envelope . It makes it that much easier for the claim holder.

OP
OP
Mine Shaft

Mine Shaft

Apr 11, 2017
Fontana, California
Detector(s) used
NA
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I went back to a spot i tried when i first started prospecting but this time i came up with 8 specs for 1 hour sluicing. This place is close to home no dirt road no claims yet, i hope to change that soon if my buddy and i come up with more color lol. We will hit the creek this Friday and see what it gives up. Thank you guy for your advice and input.

Attachments

• 100_0339.JPG
    100_0339.JPG
    3.2 MB · Views: 92
  • 100_0341.JPG
    100_0341.JPG
    3.2 MB · Views: 102
  • 100_0340.JPG
    100_0340.JPG
    3.4 MB · Views: 72
  • 100_0343.JPG
    100_0343.JPG
    2.4 MB · Views: 81

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sometimes people put their phone number on their first recording at the county.

I've also looked up phone numbers by name and called. There are still white pages you know.

Anyone who is uh erm... older, Like a lot of claim owners have land lines.

I got a lease by starting with a serial number on a sign...Ended up finding the guy and his brother and father in law. listed so I called until I got an answer.

The brother gave me the number of his brother who lived closest to the claim.

bug

Jun 5, 2008
Nor Cal
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had good luck with a letter to a claim owner in Nevada. Got an email back from him, to have fun and just leave a little for the next guy. We had good times there drywashing and its nice having a clear conscience digging. On your letter leave all your possible contact info and hopefully they get back to you one way or another.

Johnnybravo300

Bronze Member
Jan 3, 2016
South of Gunnison, Gold Basin
Detector(s) used
F2
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Yep happens all the time and their info is public info so that's what it's there for. I've granted access to my claim to one person and they ended up going every weekend all summer and had holes and rockpiles everywhere. It was his first time ever finding gold and he got addicted fast.
I finally had to cut him off but not a big deal. I told him it was time to go find his own spot and hes been looking ever since.
He can always join a club and go dig their gold if he doesnt want to prospect for his own.
I've always liked the prospecting part of mining, sometimes more than the mining itself.

goldenmojo

Bronze Member
Dec 9, 2013
N. California
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I went back to a spot i tried when i first started prospecting but this time i came up with 8 specs for 1 hour sluicing. This place is close to home no dirt road no claims yet, i hope to change that soon if my buddy and i come up with more color lol. We will hit the creek this Friday and see what it gives up. Thank you guy for your advice and input.

Thanks for the pics. Your posts cause me to have many questions. You say 8 flakes for the take, is that 8 pieces and a lot of flour gold or just 8 pieces total? Are you classifying the material before you run it in the sluice? Do you take a test pan of your tailings a few time during you outing to see if you are flushing any gold out? How many buckets of material are you running to get the 8 flakes. If classifying are you using a bucket mounted classifier? There may be a couple of things you can do to improve your take.

arizau

Bronze Member
May 2, 2014
AZ
Detector(s) used
Beach High Banker, Sweep Jig, Whippet Dry Washer, Lobo ST, 1/2 width 2 tray Gold Cube, numerous pans, rocker box, and home made fluid bed and stream sluices.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thanks for the pics. Your posts cause me to have many questions. You say 8 flakes for the take, is that 8 pieces and a lot of flour gold or just 8 pieces total? Are you classifying the material before you run it in the sluice? Do you take a test pan of your tailings a few time during you outing to see if you are flushing any gold out? How many buckets of material are you running to get the 8 flakes. If classifying are you using a bucket mounted classifier? There may be a couple of things you can do to improve your take.

I agree with all the above and....it looks like that drainage has a way to go to reach bed rock by looking at the sandy bottom. Maybe look for a bed rock outcropping along the side that heads for or crosses it as a starter for getting down to bed rock.

Good luck.

OP
OP
Mine Shaft

Mine Shaft

Apr 11, 2017
Fontana, California
Detector(s) used
NA
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

Thank you for the input goldenmojo, i am new to this gold fever stuff lol but i am learning new things from a close neighbor friend down the street. I do classify my mtr'l before i run it, this time up i forgot my pan so no testing. The 8 specs were from straight gigging and in the sluice no class, i was digging 2ft off the creek near the inside bend towards the end. The answer to how many buckets for 8 specs would be 1. My buddy will be going up with on Friday and we will put in at least 5 hours this time. I will post what we find, thanks again.

goldenmojo

Bronze Member
Dec 9, 2013
N. California
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thank you for the input goldenmojo, i am new to this gold fever stuff lol but i am learning new things from a close neighbor friend down the street. I do classify my mtr'l before i run it, this time up i forgot my pan so no testing. The 8 specs were from straight gigging and in the sluice no class, i was digging 2ft off the creek near the inside bend towards the end. The answer to how many buckets for 8 specs would be 1. My buddy will be going up with on Friday and we will put in at least 5 hours this time. I will post what we find, thanks again.

I forgot my pack with all my gear in it once so now I keep it in the truck all the time. Good luck on your next trip out. The more you get out the more you will learn.and find. I mine with some very knowledgeable miners and what they know always amazes me but what really amazes me is how much they have learned and the better they have become as miners in the short time I have known them. Keep moving forward and will get there too very soon.

OP
OP
Mine Shaft

Mine Shaft

Apr 11, 2017
Fontana, California
Detector(s) used
NA
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thank you goldenmojo, i just wish i would of got into this a long time ago. Good luck to you in the field.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread