Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Like Tree144Likes

Thread: Ticks, how have you prevented/treated bites?

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »

Nov 2012
    934 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Clothing washed in Permethryn is very effective, but if you do not have this available and have to venture out in those prime tick areas you can use this method. Just use good heavy rubber bands on your pant legs and shirt sleeves. Keep a watchful eye on your clothing so your neck and head area does not get a critter on the march to find bare skin. The buddy system works well if you have someone with you to occasionally scan to see if any ticks are present. Though not as effective as the permethryn deet is readily available most places if needed. The effects of a bad tick bite can remain dormant for a very long time and depending on things like very strong immune systems may keep some without symptoms that would lead to an examination that might confirm the presents of that problem. I will say again "getting a tick bite requires a very high degree of attention" and just don't log it off as the possibility that it is something else. Get yourself checked!!!!!

us
    Dec 2018
    Alaska
    Nox 800
    430 times
    if you can find it, cedar oil spray will keep them away
    Tahoegold and Hawks88 like this.

us
    Mar 2016
    Tahoe, CA
    Compadre, Gold Racer, White's TRX,Bazooka Gold Trap 24" Sniper,God Hog mats,Grizzly Gold Trap Motherload,MD App,Determination
    196 times
    Prospecting
    Quote Originally Posted by Grizz12 View Post
    I'm curious how effective this is. Any test results? Documentation vs say, deet? I've read some thing about garlic oil working as well and even one country that is experimenting with their military. Poor guys, I bet they don't have too many friends during the test...

us
    Feb 2015
    Moses Lake WA & Provo UT
    501 times
    Prospecting
    Tahoegold, I use permethrin. From what I know, everything youíve said is correct. Iíve been using permethrin by soaking my shirt, pants, and hat, for a few years and I like it, mostly for mosquitoes it helps, Thereís not a ton of ticks where I roam normally but I have found 2 on me. Only one was dug in a little, didnít find it until the next morning, it was in my back but came out when I brushed with my hand. I donít remember if on that particular outing I had been using my permethrin treated clothes but I am inclined k say either no or that it had been several washes since Iíd treated them.
    Tahoegold and Hawks88 like this.

us
    Oct 2006
    2502 times
    Honorable Mentions (2)
    Ticks stay away from me because i drink beer.

Make America Great Again

Apr 2013
    Oregon
    3704 times
    on my claim I spray down around the camp and trail down to the river with Ortho home-defence bug spray.
    I have one trail that is a main deer crossing, I get a tick on me every time.
    my cousin brought some women up to camp mostly drinking, he pulled a tick off her sweeter,
    when she saw that she had all her clothes off in about 3 seconds.
    " A pessimist is an optimist with experience "

Mar 2014
    NorCal
    Fisher GB2, Bazooka Prospector 36", EZ sluice, Blue Bowl..
    2185 times
    I don't know if it holds any merit but Ive been told fresh rosemary repels ticks. I have a bunch in my yard and am going to give it a try this season.
    Come check out my California Mother lode Adventures!---->https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4U...aqFXriPUONmEtw

us
    Mar 2016
    Tahoe, CA
    Compadre, Gold Racer, White's TRX,Bazooka Gold Trap 24" Sniper,God Hog mats,Grizzly Gold Trap Motherload,MD App,Determination
    196 times
    Prospecting
    Quote Originally Posted by Asmbandits View Post
    I don't know if it holds any merit but Ive been told fresh rosemary repels ticks. I have a bunch in my yard and am going to give it a try this season.
    Thanks for contributing Asmbandits,
    Sounds risky! Let us know the results!

us
    Mar 2016
    Tahoe, CA
    196 times
    Prospecting
    Quote Originally Posted by winners58 View Post
    on my claim I spray down around the camp and trail down to the river with Ortho home-defence bug spray.
    I have one trail that is a main deer crossing, I get a tick on me every time.
    my cousin brought some women up to camp mostly drinking, he pulled a tick off her sweeter,
    when she saw that she had all her clothes off in about 3 seconds.
    Hey winner58,
    So, we've discovered one benifit!
    KevinInColorado likes this.

us
    Mar 2016
    Tahoe, CA
    196 times
    Prospecting
    Quote Originally Posted by aa battery View Post
    Ticks stay away from me because i drink beer.
    Can I quote you on that? It would be the best of all solutions!!!
    aa battery likes this.

us
    Mar 2016
    Tahoe, CA
    196 times
    Prospecting
    Quote Originally Posted by Grizz12 View Post
    I read up a little on this, seems you can spray it in the yard too. There's a video of some guy with the cedar oil bug spray on his arm with a tick walking across it. It didn't bite but was walking around searching. He put it on a pencil and said it slowed it's movements and seemd weak in climbing within 5 minutes then died within an hour. I'm thinking it works to a degree. But permethrin is still the fastest. Maybe on the skin would be safer than deet as the tick really was looking but not setteling on a dinner menu. Maybe, after it dies I'll put it on my wife's sweater....
    KevinInColorado and Grizz12 like this.

us
    Mar 2016
    Tahoe, CA
    196 times
    Prospecting
    This is a quote from the website on Cedar Oil.

Cedar oil controls different insects*in different ways.*It is*known to be toxic to fleas, ticks and mosquitoes specifically, which are the common pests we'd love to get rid of. However, many a pesky insect beyond ticks are turned away by the natural effluvium of cedar. Another perk is that it's completely non-toxic to humans and pets...

us
    Mar 2016
    Tahoe, CA
    196 times
    Prospecting
    This is interesting...

Permethrin*is over 2,250 times more toxic to*ticks*than*humans. Put directly on the*skin, typically less than 1% of active ingredient is absorbed into the body; DEET can be absorbed at over 20 times that rate. Exposure risk of permethrin-treated clothing to toddlers is 27 times below the EPA's Level of Concern (LOC).
    Bodkin likes this.

us
    Mar 2016
    Tahoe, CA
    196 times
    Prospecting
    Here's a study on Permethrin treated clothes. Note that tick bites were reduced and also, subjects were not using anything on the skin. Using something on the skin would un doubtably help. Still, a bite is possible, but the risk is greatly reduced.

Tick Bite Protection With Permethrin-Treated Summer Clothing

Insect repellents represent one of the first lines of defense against attacks by blood feeding ticks and the diseases they can transmit. The most common products contain DEET and are applied to skin. An alternative personal-use repellent strategy is to apply repellent or toxicant products (usually permethrin) to clothing or other fabrics rather than directly on the skin. This method has many positive features, including that chemicals are not applied to skin, potentially reducing chemical exposure as well as increasing the duration of efficacy, which can last through multiple launderings.

During a two-day, indoor, controlled study we compared the number of tick bites on individuals wearing either permethrin-treated or untreated summer weight clothing (T-shirt, shorts, socks and sneakers). Colony-reared, pathogen-free nymphal blacklegged ticks were placed on the left shoe, right leg above the knee and left arm just above the elbow of 15 human volunteers wearing untreated (no repellent) outfits or outfits treated with permethrin either commercially (Insect Shield) or using a*do-at-home treatment kit*(Sawyer Products). At the end of the 2-hour test period the number and location of ticks attached to subjects' skin were recorded. On the following day the same volunteers were placed in different treatment groups, given new outfits and subjected to the same tick challenge and activity regimen as the previous day. Regardless of the permethrin application method, subjects wearing outfits treated with permethrin received 3.36 times (odds ratio=0.298 with a 95%CI (0.221,0.401)) fewer tick bites than subjects wearing outfits with no repellent. However, the success of permethrin- treated clothing to reduce tick bites varied depending on the specific treated article of clothing. Only 1 (0.5%) tick bite was received (on the leg related to where ticks were applied to the shoes) among all subjects wearing permethrin-treated sneakers and socks compared to a 27% (n=100) tick attachment rate on subjects wearing untreated sneakers and socks. Subjects wearing permethrin treated shorts and T-shirts were 5 and 2.2 times, respectively, less likely to receive a tick bite in areas related to those specific garments than subjects wearing untreated shorts and T-shirts. On the second day of the study only, ticks attached to subjects were classified as alive or dead prior to removal. From five subjects wearing untreated outfits, 97.6% (82 of 84) of attached nymphs were classified as alive while, significantly fewer (22.6%, 17 of 75) attached nymphs were alive on the 10 subjects wearing treated outfits.

These results confirm findings from studies demonstrating the effectiveness of permethrin-treated military weight clothing for protecting against tick bites, but importantly, extend the observation to summer weight clothing more likely to be worn by people during the summer when tick activity and the potential for tick-borne pathogen transmission is greatest.

us
    Mar 2016
    Tahoe, CA
    196 times
    Prospecting
    Can claim owners use this method?

Area-Wide Tick Control : An Opportunity For Lyme Disease Prevention

For over a decade, Narragansett has reported one of the highest incidence rates for Lyme disease in Rhode Island. Even last year when ticks were less abundant, 1 out of every 400 residents suffered a newly identified case. Many more were likely infected but remained unconfirmed. Reducing tick abundance, especially in residential areas, is the key to disease prevention, but neither the state nor any town in Rhode Island have yet to provide for any kind of tick reduction program. Until now, tick-borne disease prevention has been solely the responsibility of individuals.

Many strategies for tick control are available but most are at the scale of individual properties. Small-scale trials using a novel strategy developed by the USDA called the '4-poster' were recently completed in 5 northeastern states including Rhode Island. Over a 5-year period, abundance of nymphal deer ticks, the stage most responsible for disease transmission, was reduced by over 50% across a 2 square mile area. Now, with funding made available through the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, the town of Narragansett has the opportunity to put this technology into action on a town-wide scale, to test if this device can reduce Lyme disease incidence.

The '4-poster' device*
    White-tailed deer are the essential hosts for adult deer ticks; without deer, deer tick populations simple would not exist. However, eliminating deer is too costly to implement and maintain in most afflicted communities, and even talk of eliminating deer usually evokes high levels of public controversy. The '4-poster' device targets the ticks that feed on deer without harming the animal, and has the potential for delivering the broadest-scale impact on tick-borne disease risk while requiring the lowest level of community engagement.

How it works*
    The '4-poster' has a central bin filled with corn (to attract deer) that trickles into specially designed feeding troughs surrounded by a pair of foam posts at either end of the device. An Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) approved acaricide, to kill ticks, is applied weekly to the foam posts by a licensed pesticide applicator. Deer rub their head against these posts while attempting to get the corn, applying the acaricide directly to the deer's head and neck, which is where most ticks feed. Most of the ticks are killed before having a chance to reproduce.

Is it safe?*
    The tick-killing chemical permethrin is commonly used in many households on pets ... even for controlling head lice on children. For this use, it is completely contained on the foam posts and deer; pesticide is not sprayed into the environment. Additionally, each device must be located at least 100 yards from any resident, apartment or playground, and be clearly marked with appropriate precautionary statements. Moreover, there is no evidence to suggest that the small amount of corn deer consume from these devices influences their natural population.

For further information or to inquire about participating in this study please contact:*
    Office of Community Tick Control Research*
    University of Rhode Island*
    9 East Alumni Ave., Kingston, RI 02881*

Name:  4posteratwork.jpeg
Views: 135
Size:  11.7 KB

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Remove Ads

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links