Ticks, how have you prevented/treated bites?

Tahoegold

Mar 7, 2016
Carson City, NV
Detector(s) used
Compadre, Gold Racer, White's TRX,Bazooka GT 24",God Hog mats,Grizzly Gold Trap Motherload, Harbor freight 9 function, Cintech pinpointer, Determination
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
It's tick season. Makes me cring just writing that. In the spring, it's the tiny nymphs that apearantly can even be blown onto you by the wind. They hang out on the tips of grass along the trail. Not all, but some carry diseases. Not just Lyme. I would like to start a discussion where:

1) Those that have been successful in preventing ticks on clothing and skin.

2) Those that have prevented becoming sick with medical treatment.

3) Those that know about treatment in the medical field.

4) Those living with an ailment from a tick bite.

I realize this last one may be hard for those that are ill from ticks. I am truly sorry for what has happened to you. Ticks may be the most dangerous critter we face outside. It would be a stark lesson for us all to hear your stories to encourage us all to use the best possible preventitive measures. Some folks need motivation (me included). At least, we could share our successes, our stories, and maybe have all the ways to do this right in one discussion. Maybe it could save someone from getting sick or even, save a life.
Ok, so, I have never been sick from a bite but have been bitten several times over the years. Only recently, like last year did I even know of the dangers. I knew about Lyme, but, in reading about Lyme, I read about several other very dangerous diseases. I think I saw 5. Holy cow, if I had known that, I would have been very careful and gone to get checked! Two Toes recently did a video on critters to watch out for. He deemed the tick to be the most concerning. He goes to get checked if he gets bit by one. He's had the "bull's eye" mark and was successful in treatment. With this being said. It would be invaluable to have your stories on this topic here in one discussion. I look forward to hearing what you all have to say! TG

Upvote 0

OwenT

Feb 11, 2015
Moses Lake WA & Provo UT
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Ticks!!!!! They are one of the things top on the list of what I hate. My property was loaded with them. You couldn't even go there and camp. I've literally had 100's of them on me at a time. The real little ones. Two springs ago, we spread some kind of powder in about a half acre area, right where we hangout and camp as a test. It works!!! We went back a few times since and nothing...not one that we could find in that area. Unfortunately, I don't remember the name of it, and it is harmful to cats. But the local farm supply in that area had it by the pallet fulls.

Permethrin is toxic to cats and fish in its liquid form.

signal_line

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2011
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don't use rubbing alcohol. The tick will spit out germs into you and then you can easily get tick fever or whatever. Just grab them and tug carefully until they let go. It can take a minute or more before they get tired and let go.

mytimetoshine

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2013
El Dorado County
Detector(s) used
GRIZZLY GOLD TRAP - ANGUS MACKIRK EXPLORER- BLUE BOWL - GOLD CUBE, MINELAB PRO 25 PINPOINTER-
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That Tick Twister works swell!

A friend of mine uses one to get the ticks off his dog. After he takes them off he cellophane tapes them to an index card. Usually there are a dozen or three ticks and two or three cards full a year.

How that dog hasn't caught the Lyme is a mystery to me. We mostly have wood ticks here, but also the deer tick.
I got a pair of these for 3 bucks on eBay. keep one in my pack

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread