Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Member
Discoveries
 
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567
Results 91 to 103 of 103
Like Tree144Likes

Thread: Ticks, how have you prevented/treated bites?

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
  1. #91
    us
    Jan 2015
    San Francisco, Ca
    150
    153 times
    Prospecting
    Whata nice is that once you've removed the tick, the slot hangs onto him so that you can deposit him onto the container of your choice
    Tahoegold and KevinInColorado like this.

  2. #92
    us
    Mar 2016
    Tahoe, CA
    Compadre, Gold Racer, White's TRX,Bazooka Gold Trap 24" Sniper,God Hog mats,Grizzly Gold Trap Motherload,MD App,Determination
    201
    196 times
    Prospecting
    Quote Originally Posted by mofugly13 View Post
    Whata nice is that once you've removed the tick, the slot hangs onto him so that you can deposit him onto the container of your choice
    And no squish...
    mofugly13 and KevinInColorado like this.

  3. #93

    Mar 2019
    27
    17 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    My daughter contracted Lyme at seven years old. (14 years ago)
    The tick was completely under her skin, two legs sticking out.
    I removed the tick, and we watched for the rash.
    When the bullseye showed we brought her to her doctor. At the time we all believed the same, no rash= No problem.
    I recently heard a study stating less than 15 minutes of attachment is all it takes to transfer from the tick to you!
    I consider myself a pretty “tough “ guy... but to see your child in agony, absolute agony? Screaming in pain with her fists clenched so hard they were white, jaw locked and writhing on the floor for days.
    There was a few moments that I had to leave the room as I couldn’t bear to watch. Helpless. I couldn’t do a thing to help.
    That was a humbling time.
    She went from a fit, active, soccer loving, outdoor loving kid, to an “overweight, elderly woman” in a matter of two months. At seven years old.
    She’s good now, but the bite changed her. She was afraid to go outside for a while, her metabolism went wacky. And she still has aches and pains that she normally wouldn’t.
    We found out years later that her doctor didn’t believe in Lyme. And was mis-treating her symptoms. While not being honest with us.
    So be sure to ask your doctor if they are a believer of tick Bourne illness. Or at least get a feel for them. For years doctor and insurance companies wouldn’t cover Lyme related work as it was a “hoax”
    I always like an older doctor, as the adage “with age comes wisdom “
    But, “old dog - new tricks “ comes to mind now.
    Last edited by Dconcb; Apr 28, 2019 at 06:07 AM.
    Tahoegold and Asmbandits like this.

  4. #94

    Nov 2012
    1,139
    938 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Quote Originally Posted by Dconcb View Post
    My daughter contracted Lyme at seven years old. (14 years ago)
    The tick was completely under her skin, two legs sticking out.
    I removed the tick, and we watched for the rash.
    When the bullseye showed we brought her to her doctor. At the time we all believed the same, no rash= No problem.
    I recently heard a study stating less than 15 minutes of attachment is all it takes to transfer from the tick to you!
    I consider myself a pretty “tough “ guy... but to see your child in agony, absolute agony? Screaming in pain with her fists clenched so hard they were white, jaw locked and writhing on the floor for days.
    There was a few moments that I had to leave the room as I couldn’t bear to watch. Helpless. I couldn’t do a thing to help.
    That was a humbling time.
    She went from a fit, active, soccer loving, outdoor loving kid, to an “overweight, elderly woman” in a matter of two months. At seven years old.
    She’s good now, but the bite changed her. She was afraid to go outside for a while, her metabolism went wacky. And she still has aches and pains that she normally wouldn’t.
    We found out years later that her doctor didn’t believe in Lyme. And was mis-treating her symptoms. While not being honest with us.
    So be sure to ask your doctor if they are a believer of tick Bourne illness. Or at least get a feel for them. For years doctor and insurance companies wouldn’t cover Lyme related work as it was a “hoax”
    I always like an older doctor, as the adage “with age comes wisdom “
    But, “old dog - new tricks “ comes to mind now.
    You mean "Old dogs NEW TICKS" that puts a new game in town.
    Dconcb likes this.

  5. #95

    Mar 2019
    27
    17 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Haha! I actually almost typed that!
    Quote Originally Posted by bowwinkles View Post
    You mean "Old dogs NEW TICKS" that puts a new game in town.

  6. #96
    Charter Member

    Sep 2014
    Midwest, North of 36°60'
    3,011
    4562 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Quote Originally Posted by Tahoegold View Post
    Got them! Here's a look at the slot size. At least I feel I have something useful to get them off me!!Attachment 1699992Attachment 1699993
    That Tick Twister works swell!

    A friend of mine uses one to get the ticks off his dog. After he takes them off he cellophane tapes them to an index card. Usually there are a dozen or three ticks and two or three cards full a year.

    How that dog hasn't caught the Lyme is a mystery to me. We mostly have wood ticks here, but also the deer tick.
    Tahoegold and mytimetoshine like this.
    Liberty is the Freedom to do the next Right thing.

    In God We Trust


  7. #97

    Feb 2008
    28
    3 times
    Hello everyone, My tick bite story may help someone...About August 2018, I pulled a tick off my chest, I had been in the woods the day before. The bite left an itchy sore and stayed red for a few weeks. Then in October, I was on my 29 wedding anniversary vacation with my wife. I had an under-cooked hamburger at a restaurant near our hotel. I Ate it anyway, as it tasted so good. Five hours later (about 2-3 am) I woke to a hellish itching, my blood pressure dropped and I broke out in hives, my skin turned red like sunburn, and worst of all, my tongue swelled within seconds to the point my wife could not understand my jumbled words! She said I'm calling 911, I nodded emphatically yes, right away!. Ambulance came to hotel room, took me to the Emergency Dept. They started epinephrine by i.v. and the hospital gave me steroid and antibiotic drip by i.v. Turns out that the tick bite was the culprit, I was diagnosed with something I'd never heard of called ALPHA-GAL SYNDROME!!! Allergic to red meat, all red meat! I was told may go away, or may stay with me for life, I'm now required to get my bllod tested every year and told to never get another tick bite! Turns out, chances are very high that most ticks carry this disease now, as it is passed from adult ticks to baby ticks at birth. Turns out the first cases of Alpha Gal were traced to the lone star tick from TX. These have a white "star" shaped spot on their abdomen. The allergist said ticks feeding on deer blood (mostly in all southern states, not just Texas anymore) The ticks have developed a hormone as they feed on deer blood, that is transferred to humans if bitten. For now, I cannot eat steak, deer meat, pork products, lamb or goat meat. No burgers, no meat sauce in pasta/spagheti, no more pepperoni pizza, no bacon, or BBQ! My advise for all of you woodsmen like myself, strip naked after a day in the woods, even your own back yard, mowing, etc. Go stand in front of a mirror and check every inch of your body for ticks, maybe have your wife or girlfriend check for you too! Good luck in your treasure hunting, please use some kind of tick repellent too. Happy hunting!
    Tahoegold likes this.

  8. #98
    us
    Mar 2016
    Tahoe, CA
    Compadre, Gold Racer, White's TRX,Bazooka Gold Trap 24" Sniper,God Hog mats,Grizzly Gold Trap Motherload,MD App,Determination
    201
    196 times
    Prospecting
    Quote Originally Posted by claydog65 View Post
    Hello everyone, My tick bite story may help someone...About August 2018, I pulled a tick off my chest, I had been in the woods the day before. The bite left an itchy sore and stayed red for a few weeks. Then in October, I was on my 29 wedding anniversary vacation with my wife. I had an under-cooked hamburger at a restaurant near our hotel. I Ate it anyway, as it tasted so good. Five hours later (about 2-3 am) I woke to a hellish itching, my blood pressure dropped and I broke out in hives, my skin turned red like sunburn, and worst of all, my tongue swelled within seconds to the point my wife could not understand my jumbled words! She said I'm calling 911, I nodded emphatically yes, right away!. Ambulance came to hotel room, took me to the Emergency Dept. They started epinephrine by i.v. and the hospital gave me steroid and antibiotic drip by i.v. Turns out that the tick bite was the culprit, I was diagnosed with something I'd never heard of called ALPHA-GAL SYNDROME!!! Allergic to red meat, all red meat! I was told may go away, or may stay with me for life, I'm now required to get my bllod tested every year and told to never get another tick bite! Turns out, chances are very high that most ticks carry this disease now, as it is passed from adult ticks to baby ticks at birth. Turns out the first cases of Alpha Gal were traced to the lone star tick from TX. These have a white "star" shaped spot on their abdomen. The allergist said ticks feeding on deer blood (mostly in all southern states, not just Texas anymore) The ticks have developed a hormone as they feed on deer blood, that is transferred to humans if bitten. For now, I cannot eat steak, deer meat, pork products, lamb or goat meat. No burgers, no meat sauce in pasta/spagheti, no more pepperoni pizza, no bacon, or BBQ! My advise for all of you woodsmen like myself, strip naked after a day in the woods, even your own back yard, mowing, etc. Go stand in front of a mirror and check every inch of your body for ticks, maybe have your wife or girlfriend check for you too! Good luck in your treasure hunting, please use some kind of tick repellent too. Happy hunting!
    Hello claydog65,
    My most sincere condolences, I love rare red meat, porkchops, bacon, all those things you said. Spaghetti with meat sauce, Lasagne. Wow, that is a bizzarre syndrome. Passed on by a sugar molecule. Here's the Mayo Clinic link:

    https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-...s/syc-20428608

    An interesting discovery. Quoted from below:
    "The cancer drug, cetuximab
    People with antibodies related to alpha-gal syndrome can have allergic reactions to the cancer drug cetuximab (Erbitux). Cetuximab-induced cases of this condition are most common in regions with a high population of Lone Star ticks, suggesting a possible link between Lone Star tick bites and an increased vulnerability to alpha-gal syndrome. More research is needed to understand the connection between ticks that carry alpha-gal in certain regions and cases of alpha-gal syndrome that don't seem directly linked to tick bites."

    From the Mayo Clinic web site:

    Overview
    Alpha-gal syndrome is a recently identified type of food allergy to red meat. In the United States, the condition most often begins when a Lone Star tick bite transmits a sugar molecule called alpha-gal into the body. In some people, this triggers an immune system reaction that later produces mild to severe allergic reactions when they eat red meat.

    The Lone Star tick is found predominantly in the southeastern United States, and most cases of alpha-gal syndrome occur in this region. The condition appears to be spreading farther north and west, however, as deer carry the Lone Star tick to new parts of the United States. Alpha-gal syndrome also has been diagnosed in Europe, Australia, and Asia, where other types of ticks carry alpha-gal molecules.

    Researchers now believe that some people who have frequent, unexplained anaphylactic reactions – and who test negative for other food allergies – may be affected by alpha-gal syndrome. There's no treatment other than avoiding red meat.

    Avoiding tick bites is the key to prevention. Protect against tick bites by wearing long pants and long-sleeved shirts and using insect repellents when you're in wooded, grassy areas. Do a thorough, full-body tick check after spending time outside.

    Symptoms

    Signs and symptoms of an alpha-gal allergic reaction are often delayed compared with other food allergies. Most reactions to common food allergens – peanuts or shellfish, for example – happen within minutes of exposure. In alpha-gal syndrome, signs and symptoms typically don't appear for three to six hours after eating red meat.

    Signs and symptoms of alpha-gal syndrome may include:

    Hives, itching, or itchy, scaly skin (eczema)

    Swelling of the lips, face, tongue and throat, or other body parts

    Wheezing or shortness of breath

    A runny nose

    Abdominal pain, diarrhea, nausea or vomiting

    Sneezing

    Headaches

    Anaphylaxis, a severe, potentially deadly allergic reaction that restricts breathing

    Doctors think the time delay between eating red meat and developing an allergic reaction is one reason the condition was overlooked until recently: A possible connection between a T-bone steak with dinner and hives at midnight was far from obvious.

    When to see a doctor

    See your primary care doctor or a doctor who specializes in the diagnosis and treatment of allergies (allergist) if you experience food allergy symptoms after eating – even several hours after eating. Don't rule out red meat as a possible cause of your reaction, especially if you live or spend time outdoors in the southeastern United States or in other parts of the world where alpha-gal syndrome is known to occur.

    Seek emergency medical treatment if you develop signs or symptoms of anaphylaxis, such as:

    Difficulty breathing

    Rapid, weak pulse

    Dizziness or lightheadedness

    Drooling and inability to swallow

    Full-body redness and warmth (flushing)

    Causes

    Most people who develop alpha-gal syndrome in the U.S. develop the condition when a Lone Star tick bites them. Bites from other types of ticks can lead to the condition in Europe, Australia and Asia.

    Tick bites

    Ticks that cause alpha-gal syndrome are believed to carry alpha-gal molecules from the blood of the animals they commonly bite, such as cows and sheep. When a carrier tick bites a human, the tick injects alpha-gal into the person's body.

    For unknown reasons, some people have such a strong immune response to these molecules that they can no longer eat red meat without a mild to severe allergic reaction. People who are exposed to many tick bites over time may develop more-severe symptoms.

    The cancer drug, cetuximab

    People with antibodies related to alpha-gal syndrome can have allergic reactions to the cancer drug cetuximab (Erbitux). Cetuximab-induced cases of this condition are most common in regions with a high population of Lone Star ticks, suggesting a possible link between Lone Star tick bites and an increased vulnerability to alpha-gal syndrome. More research is needed to understand the connection between ticks that carry alpha-gal in certain regions and cases of alpha-gal syndrome that don't seem directly linked to tick bites.

    Researchers think the hallmark time-delayed reaction of alpha-gal syndrome is due to the alpha-gal molecules taking longer than other allergens to be digested and enter your circulatory system.

    Risk factors

    Doctors don't yet know why some people develop alpha-gal syndrome after exposure and others don't. The condition mostly occurs in the southeastern United States and parts of New York, New Jersey and New England. You're at increased risk if you live or spend time in these regions and:

    Spend a lot of time outdoors

    Have received multiple Lone Star tick bites

    Have a mast cell abnormality such as indolent systemic mastocytosis

    In the past 20 to 30 years, the Lone Star tick has been found in large numbers as far north as Maine and as far west as central Texas and Oklahoma in the United States.

    Alpha-gal syndrome can also occur in other parts of the world such as Europe, Australia and parts of Asia, where bites from certain types of ticks also appear to increase your risk of the condition.

    Complications

    Alpha-gal syndrome can cause food-induced anaphylaxis, a medical emergency that requires treatment with an epinephrine (adrenaline) injector (EpiPen, Auvi-Q, others) and a trip to the emergency room.

    Anaphylaxis signs and symptoms can include:

    Constriction of airways

    Swelling of the throat that makes it difficult to breathe

    A severe drop in blood pressure (shock)

    Rapid pulse

    Dizziness, lightheadedness or loss of consciousness

    Based on recent research, doctors now believe that some people with unexplained, frequent anaphylaxis may be living with undiagnosed alpha-gal syndrome.

    Prevention

    The best way to prevent alpha-gal syndrome is to avoid areas where ticks live, especially wooded, bushy areas with long grass. You can decrease your risk of getting alpha-gal syndrome with some simple precautions:

    Cover up.*When in wooded or grassy areas, wear shoes, long pants tucked into your socks, a long-sleeved shirt, a hat and gloves. Try to stick to trails and avoid walking through low bushes and long grass. Keep your dog on a leash.

    Use insect repellents.*Apply insect repellent with a 20 percent or higher concentration of DEET to your skin. Parents should apply repellent to their children, avoiding their hands, eyes and mouths. Keep in mind that chemical repellents can be toxic, so follow directions carefully. Apply products with permethrin to clothing or buy pre-treated clothing.

    Do your best to tick-proof your yard.Clear brush and leaves where ticks live. Keep woodpiles in sunny areas.

    Check yourself, your children and your pets for ticks.*Be especially vigilant after spending time in wooded or grassy areas.

    It's helpful to shower as soon as you come indoors.*Ticks often remain on your skin for hours before attaching themselves. Showering and using a washcloth might remove unattached ticks.

    Remove a tick as soon as possible with tweezers.*Gently grasp the tick near its head or mouth. Don't squeeze or crush the tick, but pull carefully and steadily. Once you've removed the entire tick, dispose of it and apply antiseptic to the bite area.
    Last edited by Tahoegold; Apr 28, 2019 at 07:41 PM.

  9. #99
    us
    WP

    Mar 2014
    Dallas,GA
    CZ6A
    4,684
    6046 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Ticks!!!!! They are one of the things top on the list of what I hate. My property was loaded with them. You couldn't even go there and camp. I've literally had 100's of them on me at a time. The real little ones. Two springs ago, we spread some kind of powder in about a half acre area, right where we hangout and camp as a test. It works!!! We went back a few times since and nothing...not one that we could find in that area. Unfortunately, I don't remember the name of it, and it is harmful to cats. But the local farm supply in that area had it by the pallet fulls.

    I was told by a Dr. that the hand sanitizer works to keep them away, I've never tried it. Most the time after the woods or every night camping we have "tick checks". And in the bad season we check each other often. And yes!!! I've had these things so bad!! That I stripped down naked, threw my infested clothes in an old cooler, and my wife spent hours picking them off of me with tweezers where I couldn't reach. I never in my life thought you could run into that many...Every square inch of my body was covered, tiny little things that are no bigger than a freckle. The first time I was infested with them...I was so freaked out that I shaved my whole body like a woman, arms legs, etc... except my head!!!! HAHA I hate parasites and freaked out...It was my way of making sure that I checked EVERY SPOT!!!! hahaha Funny to admit...but true! Now, I'm use to it and I don't freak out when I get into them. You just have to be very thorough and watch where you put clothes,tents, or anything when you get home. We've even found them in the car weeks after the first infestation. Now, we change clothes, shoes, and do checks before even getting back into the car or truck. Then everything goes into something sealed to deal with at a later date....and they will live a long time in there.

    If your in an area infested with them? Check your local farm feed and supply type place for what to use. I spread that powder and I'm a believer!!!

    Another thing...And this isn't fool proof, but there is a website that you can check how many people have been infected. I think it was on a CDC site. That gives you a real good indicator if you need to be worried about diseases. As an example...There were no known tick related disease or illness in the area where I ran into them. That helps the anxiety s a little. But you still need to be real careful!!!
    Last edited by Nitric; Apr 28, 2019 at 11:54 PM.
    Tahoegold and et1955 like this.

  10. #100
    Charter Member
    us
    Roger

    Nov 2017
    Smith Mt. Lake Va.
    Teknetics Liberator Falcon MD-20 *********** Blue Bowl Angus MacKirk sluice Miller Table
    2,839
    9396 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Found one of these lone star ticks crawling around yesterdayClick image for larger version. 

Name:	013.JPG 
Views:	20 
Size:	565.7 KB 
ID:	1708140
    >> https://www.cdc.gov/stari/disease/index.html
    Tahoegold likes this.

  11. #101
    us
    Feb 2015
    Moses Lake WA & Provo UT
    377
    502 times
    Prospecting
    Quote Originally Posted by Nitric View Post
    Ticks!!!!! They are one of the things top on the list of what I hate. My property was loaded with them. You couldn't even go there and camp. I've literally had 100's of them on me at a time. The real little ones. Two springs ago, we spread some kind of powder in about a half acre area, right where we hangout and camp as a test. It works!!! We went back a few times since and nothing...not one that we could find in that area. Unfortunately, I don't remember the name of it, and it is harmful to cats. But the local farm supply in that area had it by the pallet fulls.
    Permethrin is toxic to cats and fish in its liquid form.
    et1955 and Tahoegold like this.

  12. #102
    us
    Nov 2011
    XP Deus
    2,450
    775 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Don't use rubbing alcohol. The tick will spit out germs into you and then you can easily get tick fever or whatever. Just grab them and tug carefully until they let go. It can take a minute or more before they get tired and let go.
    Tahoegold likes this.
    Love transcends this world we live in to Heaven.
    I'll leave it to you to figure out where the opposite goes.

    If your heart is in it you will find a thousand ways to achieve your goal.
    If your heart is not in it you will find a thousand excuses.

    Ouija Board and map dowsing , one and the same. Just tape a map onto the Ouija Board and you have map dowsing.
    Works great if you like wild goose chases and snipe hunts!

    L-rods are obsolete.

    May you never take one single breath for granted.

  13. #103
    us
    Jun 2013
    El Dorado County
    ROCKING GOLD GRABBER MINI- BGT PROSPECTOR- ANGUS MACKIRK EXPLORER- MILLER TABLE, MULTIPLE SUCKER TUBES, VARIOUS HAND TOOLS, PANS AND CLASSIFERS, FORS GOLD PLUS, MINELAB PRO 25 PINPOINTER- DIY ROD MILL
    1,446
    3163 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Quote Originally Posted by Duckshot View Post
    That Tick Twister works swell!

    A friend of mine uses one to get the ticks off his dog. After he takes them off he cellophane tapes them to an index card. Usually there are a dozen or three ticks and two or three cards full a year.

    How that dog hasn't caught the Lyme is a mystery to me. We mostly have wood ticks here, but also the deer tick.
    I got a pair of these for 3 bucks on eBay. keep one in my pack
    Tahoegold likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by GoldDoozah View Post
    The fact that homo sapiens teach genetically engineered canines tricks, on the third planet of this particular star in the Milky Way, is extremely unlikely.

 

 
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Remove Ads

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Similar Threads

  1. AT Pro shaft problems that I could have prevented
    By pulltabfelix in forum Garrett
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: Feb 20, 2019, 07:52 AM
  2. Ticks Ticks Ticks!!!! They are bad this year!
    By otrkid70 in forum Metal Detecting
    Replies: 61
    Last Post: Jul 08, 2018, 12:17 PM
  3. Thats what they prevented me of hunting. All these finds are 18K
    By hamiddetecting in forum Beach and Shallow Water
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: Oct 13, 2012, 04:45 PM
  4. Replies: 5
    Last Post: Feb 20, 2012, 07:13 AM
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v4.3.0