claiming a fractional quarter section

bug

Jun 5, 2008
Nor Cal
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Any of you knowledgeable gents know how a fractional quarter section would be described, and how acreage would be determined?
Im looking at a 40 acre quarter section that is clipped on one end by a patent, but unsure how this gets described on a location notice.
40.png

Upvote 0

trdking

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2015
Fullerton CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If it is a separate property with ownership it should have its own parcel number?

winners58

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2013
Oregon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
in landmatters turn on PLSS second division if its a Gov lot there should be an acreage.
if it just shows 1/4 1/4 sec. just put 40 and use dashed lines to approximate private land on the map
the ones I've seen BLM will change the acres on the registry page,
worst case is they give you a chance to change the map and/or description.
lot.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
bug

bug

Jun 5, 2008
Nor Cal
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yep sorry you are right, I meant quarter quarter. The private patent has a lot number but the quarter quarter Im interested in just shows ghost lines from an old survey, I suppose. No lot number on the quarter quarter, so I am unsure on what to specify for total acreage claimed. Its obviously more than 20 but less than 40 with the corner clipped out.

OP
OP
bug

bug

Jun 5, 2008
Nor Cal
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome Winners58 I found it on PLSS second division. Thanks guys!!!!!

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
If it's a Government Lot you can claim the entire lot.

If it's a quarter quarter (40 acres) with a corner missing you will need to describe the claim by metes and bounds.

If it's a placer claim and you are describing the location by metes and bounds you need to refer to the private land patent survey in the description.

Heavy Pans

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread