Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Like Tree10Likes
  • 9 Post By brianc053
  • 1 Post By 63bkpkr

Thread: Spring 19 dredging trip to Contrary Creek!

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    Jan 2015
    Morris County, NJ
    White's MXT White's Prism II
    468 times
    Gold Prospecting + Metal Detecting

Spring '19 dredging trip to Contrary Creek!

Hi everyone! It's been a while (a few years, actually) since I've posted one of these trip reports, but I'm happy to say that my son and I are back at this wonderful gold dredging hobby of ours.
    Last weekend (Easter weekend) we joined friends Carl, Jeff and his son Tristan at Contrary Creek, VA for two days of dredging.
    I put together a 9 minute video summarizing the trip (link below), but for those of you who like to read here is the quick summary:
    - We dredged Friday and Saturday. (Jeff and Tristan could only dredge on Friday, but - Spoiler! - Jeff/Tristan found the best picker of the trip. Picture below.)
    - On Friday we got a "late" start (we were unloading at 8AM but Carl, Jeff and Tristan had already been dredging for 1 hour+ by then). It took us forever to get our gear down the river; I thought using a two-wheeled game (deer) cart would be a good idea. Wrong. It kept wanting to tip over and with only two wheels you spend half your energy balancing it (the other half moving it).
    - On Friday we probably only dredged for 3 hours because severe weather came through and by 1:00 we felt we needed to pack up and get off the river. (It turns out we probably could have stayed a few more hours, but big picture it was good to take shelter because by 7:30pm there was a tornado warning precisely in that area. See the video for screen grabs of the weather alert...and more details. [that's what they call a "tease"]).

- Saturday was beautiful, we were making our way down the river by 7:30am and the water level was waaayyy up. Any of you who have been at Contrary Creek have to see how high it was (again a tease for the video!).
    - Carl couldn't get his tractor down river due to the high water, so he worked under the bridge. Sadly we didn't see him much that day, and it was just Andrew and me down river in Friday's location.
    - We dredged for probably 6 hours on Saturday. Andrew had more nozzle time than I did, and when I was ready to pack up after lunch he kept going! It was fantastic father-son time.

- As you'd expect, our day 1 results were less than our day 2 results. No pickers but some nice flakes, chunky stuff and flour/flood gold.

We had a great time with friends, I got to enjoy (precious) time with my son, and we can't wait to do it again!

Our gold (Day 1 on left; Day 2 on right, which includes a little garnet I kept because I didn't see many garnets at all. Normally I've found tons of them)
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	4Yaxl7w.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	1.60 MB 
ID:	1707957

Comparing four trips, from Left to Right:
    - New Hampshire June '16
    - Contrary Creek Aug '16
    - NH Sept. '16
    - this CC trip, Apr '19. Based on this comparison we had a great trip!

Name:	a6qxrsd.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	1.38 MB 
ID:	1707958

Jeff and Tristan's cool picker with quartz attached:

Name:	ejC73t0.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	65.1 KB 
ID:	1707959

Link to the video:
    Last edited by brianc053; Apr 29, 2019 at 07:42 PM.

us
    Northern California

Aug 2007
    Southern California
    XLT, GMT, 6000D Coinmaster
    4450 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Nothing like a Father with Child trip, son or daughter! Those are memory making times, well done!!

That is one interesting looking (lovely) picker with some special color to it!

In all a superb trip, thank you for sharing!...........63bkpkr
    mendoAu likes this.
    Out searching w/GMT & friend under my arm

us
    Author of a book about finding gold in Colorado

Jan 2012
    Summit County, Colorado
    Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with Banker on top, Bazooka Goldtrap sluices, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
    10446 times
    Prospecting
    Love this!

Remove Ads

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links